So it didn't happen....

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 174

Elbelle77 Posts : 222 Registered: 1/24/08
Re: So it didn't happen....
Posted: May 14, 2008 6:53 PM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

When I get home from work I usually have like 15 brides.com emails of all the updated posts I've responded too, but this is always the first one that I check.  I keep hoping FutureMrsSchultz or flowr will be posting their engagement story!  If I'm this anxious/excited to hear about it, I can't imagine how you girls are feeling! (though I do have some idea since I waited 8 mos after FH told me to let him know what kind of ring I liked to propose!)  Good Luck girls!

FinallyMrsS Posts : 1,035 Registered: 3/29/08
Posted: May 14, 2008 9:36 PM Go to message in response to: MrsB2Be08

Oh elbelle!!! You are to freakin cute!!! I hope I can give you some good news soon too!!! I cant believe you waited 8 months!!! I think I would go crazy knowing all the info my bf has told me!!!

Flowr I snooped through his backpack the other day but then I started to feel really guilty and I stopped. I think it is in his car. I am pretty sure he has it already though. He told me it was supposed to arrive no later then May 6. That was over a week ago! I thought maybe he would do it at my parents house this weekend because they live at the beach, but then he hurt his foot and cant walk on sand. We are hosting a little dinner party on Friday. (I planned it though, not him) and I am hoping he will do it before the party so we can celebrate with all of our friends. I just really hope he doesnt do it at the party because I want it to be private.

Thanks MrsB2 for the help. I DEFINATELY need it. I just didnt want anyone to think that I was one of those girls that come on here and just bitche about things that shouldnt matter (like if he got down on one knee or not and how big the ring is). =)

flowr Posts : 72 Registered: 3/27/08
Posted: May 15, 2008 5:41 PM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

i bet he will before the dinner party!!! i am really hoping i get it at the end of the month. i'm hoping he will do it and then celebrate by sailing with all my friends! and i know it's stupid, but i really want it before my 5th year college reunion which is the 1st week of june!!

it was really funny... the other day he asked me to grab his keys from his jacket and my heart jumped.. i totally was feeling around for a box!! haha... hopefully soon!!

elbelle- u r too sweet!! i dont know how you waited for 8 months!!!

Elbelle77 Posts : 222 Registered: 1/24/08
Posted: May 15, 2008 5:58 PM Go to message in response to: flowr

I was going nuts for those 8 months!  It shouldn't have taken that long, but there were some obstacles along the way. 

Originally FH thought about doing it on our trip to Seattle, but the ring didn't come in in time.  Then we were planning on going back to our college (where we met) for homecoming, so he was going to do it there, but his sister went into labor the night we were supposed leave, so we stayed.  Then he got me tickets to see The Little Mermaid on broadway, so he was going to do it while we were in the city, but then the stagehands went on strike and the show was cancelled!! 

So FINALLY in December we had tickets to a hockey game in the city and he figured he had to do it then because his busy season at work starts in January (he's an accountant) and I don't get to see him much till April and he didn't want to keep me waiting till then.  So the night before we went into the city he said we should try to go ice skating at Rockafellar Center before the hockey game (something I've always wanted to do).  That morning while I was in the shower he called my parents and asked for my hand (he knew he couldn't ask any earlier as my mom would never be able to keep a secret!).  So while we were skating in front of the Christmas tree he got down on one knee and proposed.  Even though I had been expecting it for awhile I was still so surprised and couldn't believe it was actually happening.

So as hard as it was to wait, it was definitely worth it!

Posted: May 15, 2008 10:18 PM Go to message in response to: flowr

Elbelle I LOVE your story! That is so cute and romantic!!! I keep trying to plan things that would make it easier for him to propose, but its not happening....

flowr I dont think it will be happening before the party. My nice dinner party has now turned into a huge bbq followed more then likely by drinking games. Hey maybe I can get wasted and talk him into proposing!! JUST KIDDING I am not that mean. We are going up north (to San Luis Obispo) next weekend and I was hoping to be engaged by then (he knows this) because we will be seeing my sister and her husband, as well as our old friends from when we lived there, and my bfs mom and her fiance. Then on our way back home we are going to stop and see my parents. So it would just be perfect. Hopefully he thinks so too. I think his mom might want him to propose in front of her or something, But I really want it to be just us. Oh well. Oh and I didnt know you knew your bf asked for permission!!! When did this happen and how do you know?!?!?!

2BBauer Posts : 478 Registered: 12/15/07
Posted: May 16, 2008 12:22 AM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

Haha MrsSchultz maybe you can get HIM wasted and talk him into proposing!!  Just kidding (kinda, hehe)!  I does sound like it would be perfect to do sometime during or before your trip up north, then you could share the news with everyone in person.  I also am obsessed with this post and waiting to see if you girls get your rings, I get so excited every time I see it pop up on the recent thread list!
The first day of my happily ever after is 9-13-2008!!

Posted: May 16, 2008 12:27 AM Go to message in response to: 2BBauer

Well I have the Jameson in the freezer so depending on how much alcohol I consume tomorrow I may be coming on here saturday with good news and pics!!! ; )

2BBauer Posts : 478 Registered: 12/15/07
Posted: May 16, 2008 12:39 AM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!!!
The first day of my happily ever after is 9-13-2008!!

tessandnate09 Posts : 136 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: May 16, 2008 12:46 AM Go to message in response to: MrsB2Be08

So my BF and I have been together sine high school and are almost done with college now. We recently decided to move our wedding date from 2010 to 2009 which obviously would bump p the date of our engagement. We already have the ring picked out....its in my lock box but i'm not allowed to look at it :). So he said it would happen soon, by my birthday which is june 19th and I can not stand the waiting. The worst part is that he keeps talking about how he can't decide how to propose to me...which is making me lose confidence in what its going to be. I mean ultimately I want to be with him for the rest of my life. I just really want to be able to share this with my family and friends and I feel like he is second guessing himself so much that he might just chicken out and not really propose and instead just give me the ring... AH! 

Posted: May 16, 2008 1:06 AM Go to message in response to: tessandnate09

Tess I SERIOUSLY think that the whole act of proposing is what is holding my bf back. When he first bought the ring, he told me that he was just going to leave it on the bed in the box with a knife next to it so I can open the box since I already knew it was coming. I knew he was joking, but I said that was fine by me. I really dont care about the proposal. I always used to, but now I am just so ready for it to happen that I dont care how it is done!!! But he always tells me that he only gets one chance and if it is messed up in any way EVERYONE will know. I have a really big family and he probably feels like he needs to impress them in some way. My birthday is June 8th and I am crossing my fingers that I dont have to wait that long either! He told me he already asked my dad and he ordered a ring on April 22. It was supposed to be here around May 6 so I am pretty sure he has that too. I am not kidding I have been so bitter all week long because I feel like he is torturing me. I even cried on tuesday(may be due to my monthly friend that is visitingSmile). But I was a mess. I was so upset that he didnt propose yet and I was convinced he was doing it to teach me I cant always get what I want when I want it. Luckily I didnt break down in front of him or let him know what I was feeling. I am thinking that if I try not to talk about it, maybe he will just do it!!! I can dream, right?

Posted: May 16, 2008 10:15 AM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

well, i don't know that he asked permission exactly, but my mom pretty much hinted that he did. she said to "take it from her" that it will be happening at the end of the month... i am not too anxious bc i think it will happen then, but if it doesn't i'd probably be pretty upset.

futuremrsschultz- i agree that he probably wont do it before your party. beer pong and drinking games are not really nights for good proposal. i do think it will happen this month for you though... the weekend you will be with your family is the perfect time! i think he has something nice planned for you and he wants to do it right.. it is so annlying to wait, but just think- in a couple months you will probably laugh about how you couldn't wait bc you knew he was going to do it!

tess- maybe he is nervous about asking... could you plan a special weekend away or alone with him? it may be easier for him to feel relaxed and comfortable in a setting w just the 2 of you away somewhere... i think my BF would be embarassed doing it in front of people or at a restaurant or something. i can't even imagine him doing it! i know he will be SO NERVOUS!

Posted: May 16, 2008 12:06 PM Go to message in response to: flowr

flowr here is the thing about him doing it while we are up north. We are going to leave when I get off work (which is areound 6) and prob wont get there until around midnight. Friday night we are staying with his friend. Then  sat morning we are going to beerfest at the beach. Its all you can drink for 4 hours and there is 250 different types of beer. Then after that we are going back to his friends house to sleep it off. Then my sister and her husband is going to pick us up and take us to his moms house which is about 45 minutes away. After dinner we are going back to my sisters house to stay and then leaving sunday morning for my paretns which is on our way home. I just dont feel like there is time in our trip to propose unless he does it at his moms house, but I dont think he will. I really think that he will need to propose before we go and then celebrate once we are there. But he is in his own little world right now. I think he may have been serious about not proposing until his foot is better. =(

Posted: May 16, 2008 1:39 PM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

are you serious!! i can't believe his foot would have anything to do with it! that's crazy!

what about the last weekend in may?? do you have any time planned over the next couple weeks with just the two of you?? i mean, he has the dang thing already.. why hold onto it? he could have totally waited to get it for a month, but chose not to, right??!! i seriously doubt his foot would make the difference... maybe he's saying that to throw you off?? my BF has been saying things to make me think it will not happen for a couple months. for example, we r going to maine in july and staying at his uncle's place... his uncle is religious and said we can't stay in the same bedroom unless we were engaged or married. a couple weeks ago i asked my BF if he thought we'd be staying in seperate rooms and he said we probably would. i was very discouraged until my mom slipped and told me he will do it this month. i REALLY think he might be trowing you off by the foot comments!!! maybe he has something nice planned this month! Too bad you can't find out his plans!!

Charlotte09 Posts : 1,021 Registered: 2/22/08
Posted: May 17, 2008 12:01 AM Go to message in response to: flowr

Ladies I was once in your position so I know how crazy waiting is. I never mentioned marriage to my FH or said I love you first because I think since men are so funny about it I would give him time to talk about all of that. However, he surprised me by saying i love you first without me having to wait and wonder about it, and shortly after one day he told me "you know I do want to marry you one day." We are both in our early 20's so we were not in a huge hurry to run to the alter and his brother was getting married and did not want to intrude on their time, plus I have school to finish up. But eventually he had me looking for rings and our agreement was that no matter what we would not get married until 09 at the earliest because it was the best for us financially and that he could buy the ring whenever was best and propose whenever was best. 

However, after really choosing a ring and basically making an engagement official between us it was really crazy waiting for that proposal moment. I actually probably waited 6 or 7 months after we really officially stated between the two of us that marriage was in our future. I didn't feel engaged until the actual proposal and announcement to everyone though.

FH ended up proposing to me by writing it in my Valentines Day card. He was going to propose at dinner but he is stranger shy and did not want too many people staring at us. Plus I ruined it a little because it was my choice where we ate that night and I really wanted Applebees and not a fancy restaurant. Fh felt like it would be kind of stupid to propose at Applebees too haha. But I read the card and did not even notice him on one knee, read "will you marry me?" freaked out, hugged him, and then called my best friend haha. 

Anyway, the point of my post is that I understand where you are coming from but it is so fun when it happens. I still feel like I am waiting though because we have had a long engagement so I feel like I have to wait to plan a lot because I feel dumb booking places 2 years early. But our wedding will be on June 14, 2008 and is ALMOST a year away and I am so excited.  

MrsDaley Posts : 91 Registered: 10/12/07
Posted: May 17, 2008 2:15 AM Go to message in response to: Charlotte09

Okay, I'm confused why you girls are on here if you aren't engaged?!?!?  Last time I looked this was BRIDES.com, not HOPINGTOBEENGAGED.com.  Maybe he's not asking because you're obsessed!  

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine