Oahu and Maui activities

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

MrsStrong62108 Posts : 107 Registered: 12/27/06
Oahu and Maui activities
Posted: Apr 18, 2008 9:50 PM

So through my teachers association I am able to print off some coupons online and save money on our honeymoon!!!  Yeah, I love coupons and saving money!  so the following are some places where I can save, just wondering if you know anything good or bad about the following businesses.

On Maui: Alexair Helicopter, Sunshine Helicopter, Maui Dive Shop, Maui Golf & Sports Park, Boss Frogs Dive & Surf,  and Makena Coast Dive Charters.

On Oahu: Dive Hawaii, Senator Fongs Plantation & Gardens, Seabreeze Parasailing, and Tradewind Charters.

Also, we are really wanting to find a photo or painting of a Bird of Paradise flower.  Anyone know of a shop/artist that would be in Oahu or Maui? 

thanks!

cristine Posts : 45 Registered: 7/5/07
Re: Oahu and Maui activities
Posted: Apr 18, 2008 9:54 PM Go to message in response to: MrsStrong62108

where do you teach?

BreAnn Posts : 600 Registered: 11/28/07
Posted: Apr 18, 2008 10:00 PM Go to message in response to: MrsStrong62108

we spend out honeymoon on Oahau. It is soo beautiful. I'm not sure about anything that you mentioned up there, but let me tell ya some other things. Don't buy suveniers. On Wednesday, Friday & Saturday, there is what they call a "swap meet" its the same thing as a flea market where I live. You can get the same suveniers there for much cheaper. Also, if you want to go to Pearl Harbor, you need to be there when they open! Otherwise tickets sell out and all you get to do is the gift shop and the muesum! That happened to us twice in one week!! I also reccomend going to Valley of the Temples and the Dole Plantation is kinda cool. We stayed on the North Shore and I liked it much better than any of the time we spend in Waikiki. The North Shore is very quiet. It is more rural like. Turtle Bay is the only place to stay on that side of the island it is soooooooooooo awesome!!! Anything else, just ask, I will help the best I can!! Ohhh!! And if you plan on renting a vehicle, buy a good map of the Island before you get there! The ones they give you only have the Major roads on them and it still makes it hard to find things in town!

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Posted: Apr 18, 2008 10:14 PM Go to message in response to: BreAnn

Hi, we went to Oahu & Maui on our HM last year.  You'll love it!  One of the other brides clued me in to the "Revealed" guidebooks by Andrew Doughty (Oahu Revealed, Maui Revealed) and I can't praise them enough.  Take them with you, they're very detailed and will save you lots of time in deciding what you want to do, where, how.  Study them ahead of time to decide if there's anything you want to book ahead, like an evening luau or show.

As for the specific things you asked about:

On Maui: Alexair Helicopter, Sunshine Helicopter, Maui Dive Shop, Maui Golf & Sports Park, Boss Frogs Dive & Surf,  and Makena Coast Dive Charters.

All of these are going to be expensive even with your coupons.  For example, I think the helicopter rides run in the $300/person range.  Make sure it's something you really truly want to do, and if so, compare prices in the Revealed guidebook.  Activities people at your hotel will probably try to talk you into all these kinds of things on the theory that "you spent a lot of money to come here, you don't want to just sit around" -- but in fact a lot of what my DH and I wanted to do was sit around, or walk around, or drive around in our rental car, or swim around, or lie around in bed!

On Oahu: Dive Hawaii, Senator Fongs Plantation & Gardens, Seabreeze Parasailing, and Tradewind Charters.

Ditto.  I know Oahu better than Maui and there's a wider range of things to see & do.  I've never heard of Sen. Fong's so it is probably either very new (and could be really nice) or else some place that's deservedly unpopular and desperate for customers.  Sorry to hear that the other bride got shut out of Pearl Harbor!  I've been there a couple of times with no problem, but I guess it's just the luck of the draw.  I highly recommend the Polynesian Cultural Center.  Spring for the "Ali'i Luau" upgrade, as it gives you a much better menu than the standard buffet dinner, plus they ask all the honeymoon couples to get up on stage and dance to the Hawaiian Wedding Song -- very romantic!  Our other "most fun" thing on Oahu was catching waves in an outrigger canoe on Waikiki Beach.  I think the "Beach Services" kiosk that runs them is outside the Moana Surfrider hotel.  Very touristy, but it really was loads of fun.  And they take photos of you while you're out on the water, which you can buy as a neat souvenir.

Also, we are really wanting to find a photo or painting of a Bird of Paradise flower.  Anyone know of a shop/artist that would be in Oahu or Maui? 

Yes, Rebecca Lowell sells her paintings on the beach on Maui outside the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel.  If you're not staying in Ka'anapali (just north of Lahaina), you can probably call over there and find out how to see Rebecca's work elsewhere on the island.

You'll have a wonderful time, I'm sure!

"When Women Vote, We All Win!"

EveT

MrsStrong62108 Posts : 107 Registered: 12/27/06
Posted: Apr 18, 2008 10:34 PM Go to message in response to: EveT2007

christine, I teach in Kansas City, Missouri and I teach kindergarten.

I also purchased the Revealed books...but have not been so good at reading them.  I started reading the Oahu book but I'm about 1/2 way through it.  Crazy as this sounds since I'm a teacher.,..I don't like to read "adult" books...give me a kids picture book and I'm content.  But I have a hard time reading other books.  The revealed books are an easy read and I am enjoying them, I'm just not a person that sits down to read for pleasure.  I get allergy shots every other week, so I've started taking the Oahu  book to read instead of People...not as "entertaining" though. 

I/We really want to go on a helicopter ride.  I know it will be very expensive, but I think (and have heard) it will be worth every penny. 

Eve, thanks for the information about the painter Rebecca Lowell.  We are staying in Kahana in Maui, so we will make a point to find her.

MaunaLaniBride Posts : 631 Registered: 3/31/06
Posted: Apr 19, 2008 11:37 AM Go to message in response to: MrsStrong62108

A couple things about discounts in Hawaii...when you arrive at the airport (on any island), there are large kiosks in the baggage area that feature all kinds of brochures on that particular island.  Pick these up because the are packed with coupons for everything you can imagine, from activities to restaurants.

Also, for most large-ticket items such as helicopter rides and boat tours, the best pricing will come directly with the company through their websites. 

I been to all the islands (Oahu the most since my hubby is from there) and I've never heard of any of the companies you've listed.  Definitely look in your Revealed books for the best operaters, they also have a website:  www.wizardpub.com   Perhaps you should also check out www.tripadvisor.com to see if anyone has reviewed the companies that you've mentioned.

For any helicopter ride, I highly recommend Blue Hawaiian:  http://www.bluehawaiian.com/   Although the best helicopter tour is on the Big Island of Hawaii, where you can see the active volcano (it's the only island with an active volcano).

Knot planning bio:  http://tinyurl.com/2od5dr

Knot married bio: http://tinyurl.com/2zatxp

futuremrsperry Posts : 1,904 Registered: 4/23/06
Posted: Apr 22, 2008 10:40 PM Go to message in response to: MrsStrong62108

Do MUST to do Makena snorkeling!!  We loved it.  But go early in the morning.  It is soo worth it.  

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine