**I love him like a fat kid loves cake**  Kiss

PaigeElizabeth Posts : 33 Registered: 3/10/08
Re: to those with emerald cut diamonds
Posted: Apr 21, 2008 4:35 PM Go to message in response to: BlushingBride03

Congratulations! Your ring is gorgeous!

LinzZ Posts : 683 Registered: 12/13/07
Posted: Apr 21, 2008 5:04 PM Go to message in response to: BlushingBride03

See, we told ya, didn't we?! It is an absolutely beautiful ring. And.... It's very unique. I haven't seen one like it. Congrats on your engagement! How did he do it? Was he nervous about the ring because of your previous conversation?

BlushingBride03 Posts : 220 Registered: 7/15/06
Posted: Apr 21, 2008 7:05 PM Go to message in response to: LinzZ

thanks! he designed it himself! i'm so excited. He did it after a fantastic dinner on the water, in front of a huge crowd of people!! it was perfect.

he told me he had a heart attack when I said that, he had picked it out that day!! poor guy- but i assured him I love it.

Soon-to-be Mrs. S.Daisypath Ticker

FALLbrideINLOVE Posts : 1,056 Registered: 3/30/07
Posted: Apr 21, 2008 8:39 PM Go to message in response to: BlushingBride03

all the worrying for nothing!  that is a baller ring!  haha

it is unique and very nice to look at!  congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

AmandaH2be Posts : 9 Registered: 4/16/08
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 10:42 AM Go to message in response to: BlushingBride03

It's beautiful! I'm an Emerald cut fan as well. I used to love Princess cuts, but wanted something different so when my boyfriend asked about cut...emerald was it. I love it...and it does sparkle!

Sweetlake Posts : 67 Registered: 6/14/08
Posted: Jun 30, 2008 4:26 PM Go to message in response to: Beca

Actually, the emerald cut is the most expensive one because of the many facets & cuts the diamond has.

No, they are more expensive because you have to have a cleaner stone to create a diamond that looks good.  The emerald cut has fewer cuts and a bigger front window.  So, when you look at it there is not as much sparkle, but you can see any and all imperfections.  So the stone needs to be very eye clean and thus the price goes up.  It has nothing to do with the number of cuts.  In fact the brilliant cut, and variations there-of, have the most cuts and the most sparkle.

Laura + Mark = ♥

Retired Posts : 808 Registered: 4/17/06
Posted: Jun 30, 2008 6:41 PM Go to message in response to: BlushingBride03

Well, I don't have one, and they aren't my style, but I think they're beautiful regardless. I think they're very classic, and the kind of thing you'd pass on to a child as an heirloom. They just give me that vibe.

I'm finding that they're usually a lot more expensive than some other cuts, though - anyone know why? Just out of my own curiosity.

Mushaboo Posts : 2,165 Registered: 3/22/08
Posted: Jun 30, 2008 6:58 PM Go to message in response to: Retired

I won't go into big detail over it.  It has to do with how much you loose from the original stone to create the cut of the diamond you're creating (round, princess, heart, marquise, etc)  You can get more stones from a round or marquise cut vs an emerald or princess.  Don't hold me to that.  If I'm wrong don't kill me.  I just try to remember all my lessons from our jeweler about picking an e-ring. 

http://www.mywedding.com/robertandginger

Retired Posts : 808 Registered: 4/17/06
Posted: Jun 30, 2008 7:09 PM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

Ah. I figured it was probably something to do with cut/size. I've seen heart cut tends to be more expensive, too.

Mushaboo Posts : 2,165 Registered: 3/22/08
Posted: Jun 30, 2008 10:55 PM Go to message in response to: Retired

Yeah, like say you have a ball shaped raw stone....think of how many heart shapes, squares, marquises, and rounds you can get out of that one ball.  The jeweler loses money if they have lots of scrap pieces. 

http://www.mywedding.com/robertandginger

Sweetlake Posts : 67 Registered: 6/14/08
Posted: Jul 1, 2008 2:02 PM Go to message in response to: Retired

Nocturnius, the emerald is more expensive because you have to have a cleaner stone to get a nice looking gem.  Emerald cuts have a very big front window (the flat part that you look into) compared to the other cuts.  They also have fewer overall cuts.  This means when you look into it you are seeing clear through it and any imperfections are going to be more obvious.  With other cuts the sparkle and facets can hide flaws.  For example there are flaws such as feathering or internal cracks which are hard to see when there is a lot of sparkle.  But with the emerald you can't hide them so well.  So only the cleanest cuts will be turned into emeralds because so much of it will be visible if there are any flaws.

Mushaboo,  you are also correct that certain cuts might become more expensive because they take up a greater portion of the parent stone.  Also some cuts are specialties and not everyone makes them.  This raises the price too.  So there are several factors going into it.  

Laura + Mark = ♥

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine