to those with emerald cut diamonds

Online Users: 1,238 guest(s), 3 user(s). Replies: 41

BlushingBride03 Posts : 220 Registered: 7/15/06
to those with emerald cut diamonds
Posted: Apr 14, 2008 10:27 AM

who has one here? do you like it?

the reason for my question is, long story short- i had my heart set on a princess cut, but since my bf is a bad liar i am almost positive he's bought me an emerald cut already.at first i was really upset because i didn't like them. i know that sounds petty- but i will wear it the rest of my life, i want to like it. after browsing through some photos it's starting to grow on me, but i'm still not sure I love them.

anyone who has one and loves theirs, i'd appreciate some encouragement or photos! I have a feeling he's proposing to me soon! yay!!!!

Soon-to-be Mrs. S.Daisypath Ticker

Elbelle77 Posts : 222 Registered: 1/24/08
Re: to those with emerald cut diamonds
Posted: Apr 14, 2008 10:39 AM Go to message in response to: BlushingBride03

Do you have a close friend that could maybe talk to him about it before he proposes? Just have him/her hint around about the kind of diamond you really want and ask if that's what he was thinking of buying for you.  I know at the jeweler where my FH bought my ring, they had a policy that you could return the diamond within the year for a store credit as long as you still have all the paperwork that goes with it.  That way if he did already buy the emerald cut, maybe he could exchange it for princess.  I agree that you don't want to be petty, but you will be wearing it for the rest of your life and you want to love it.

Good Luck!

Beca Posts : 361 Registered: 9/28/06
Posted: Apr 14, 2008 10:41 AM Go to message in response to: BlushingBride03

Hi Blushing!!
I have to say that I thought I wanted a circular diamond. But to make long story short by the time we were talking about that he already had the ring. When we got engaged I received a beautiful emerald cut with 2 pinces cut diamods on the site & bagets around the ring and I just ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT! & I was happy he choose that one, it is very unique & almost no one choose that cut. Just a little funny note, He also choose the emerald cut because it is the queen characteristical stone & he always call me "my queen"...jejejej, Tongue outlittle corny writing this, but I love the ring has a meaning for both of us. I wish I have a picture, but I'll try to post one tomorrow.

Posted: Apr 14, 2008 10:54 AM Go to message in response to: Beca

thanks beca-

see, i'm pretty sure he already has it- i was saying how my friend wants a princess and i was like, thats what i want too- and he got really defensive and almost upset and he was like trying to 'sell' the emerald to me- so i really think he has it already lol. i shut up then because i didnt want to make him upset.

i know he got it through a direct diamond dealer, his BIL knows him and he had to go all the way down to the city to get it. So i don't think he can exchange it. He's taking me to a fancy restaurant on sat that i've always wanted to go to- so i think that's the big day! I'm just hoping for the best and that it's wider- i prefer those over the narrower ones at least. i keep telling myself once i see it on my hand i'll love it because he picked it out for me.

Beca Posts : 361 Registered: 9/28/06
Posted: Apr 14, 2008 11:11 AM Go to message in response to: BlushingBride03

your welcome Blushing! don't be afraid, Iam sure you would love it, I know sometimes we want to be involved in everything but I am sure he know you well enough to know exactly what you would love in a ring, and he also took the time & initiative to choose the one. I found some pictures through the internet, so you can see.

Actually, the emerald cut is the most expensive one because of the many facets & cuts the diamond has. I will recommend you to visit the "JEWELRY THREAD" of this site & see the rings post. You will see a lot of different shapes and almost no one with emerald cut.

1.60CT emerald and princess cut diamonds engagement ring

1.75CT emerald and princess cut diamonds engagement ring

Engagement Rings :: Emerald-cut Engagement Ring, Pave Mounting

Fitzer Posts : 643 Registered: 8/7/07
Posted: Apr 14, 2008 11:36 AM Go to message in response to: BlushingBride03

I have an emerald cut.  I LOVE it.  Actually, I asked for it - they're my absolute favorite!

I'm different from most women though - I actually like the fact that they aren't as sparkly.  They catch light in broad planes rather than lots of little facets, so instead of lots of sparkly flashing, they have fewer but bigger flashing.  Does this make sense?

Personally, I think they look more timeless than other cuts - it's a very "old" way of cutting diamonds, and was very popular in the 20s/art deco scene, which I love the look of.  Other benefits I've found to them (people gave me crazy looks when I said I didn't want a sparkly brilliant or princess, so I have a laundry list of why I picked emerald cut):

they're not as popular, so your ring will definitely stand out/be unique

because they are flatter stones - not at "tall" or deep as other cuts, they look really big.  I one carat emerald looks a lot bigger than a one carat brilliant.  Not that size matters really, but hey, more bang for your buck!

CBM09 Posts : 121 Registered: 3/7/08
Posted: Apr 14, 2008 12:53 PM Go to message in response to: Fitzer

I actually wanted an emerald cut but my now FH talked me out of it because he didn't feel like they were sparkly enough, so I got a princess cut instead but I absolutely LOVE it. I do think emerald cuts are gorgeous and I want to buy one for myself someday!:)

Posted: Apr 14, 2008 1:19 PM Go to message in response to: Fitzer

wow Fitzer- thanks for the info- my next question was going to be if a 1 ct emerald looks smaller than a 1ct round or princess because its longer.

if it looks bigger, no complaints here. I like to be in control of things, so it's hard not knowing!! It's making me really anxious, I'm just trying to relax. But your comments did make me feel better.

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Apr 14, 2008 1:41 PM Go to message in response to: BlushingBride03

I have a funny story though. Right before we got engaged, randomly, DH asked me if I liked princess cut with round side stones. I asked for princess cut so of course that was ok but I kinda made a face about the round side stones. I said that wont look right I dont think...ok end of the night.

So we get engaged I see the ring and it's princess cut with 3 round diamonds on each side...it looked STUNNING. Its exactly what I would have picked out! Then later on he tells me that he almost had a panic attack when I made the face about the round side stones b/c he had already ordered the ring. He also called his mom in a panic saying that I wouldnt like it.

The moral of the story is, it's your E-RING! You will LOVE it no matter what b.c. he picked it out especially for you! I promise you will LOVE it!! 

Formerly Ama102707

Posted: Apr 14, 2008 2:11 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

yes- i keep telling myself that- i'm just so anxious!!

when i said, no, i don't like emerald cuts! His face just fell- i instantly knew and now i feel horrible. I tried to make him feel better after he was explaining it by saying, Oh, I didn't realize that- yes that's very pretty etc.

Oops! way to put my foot in my mouth. I just can't wait to see it and hope I like it!

We2Heart Posts : 452 Registered: 10/11/07
Posted: Apr 14, 2008 4:54 PM Go to message in response to: BlushingBride03

I hate those foot-in-the-mouth situations!! I'm sure you will love the ring.  IMO, Emerald cut is very elegant, and very unique because not many have that cut.  I <3 all diamonds but the reason I like the emerald cut is that it's different.  Everyone's like oh it's not as shiny, but it really does shine in it's own way.  My friend so nicely put it this way: "Your bling doesn't need to blind people, just stun 'em."

Funny story, FH likes to know if I'll like it before he buys it so he asks me questions like "do you like rectangular or round better" and "do you like skiny bands or fatter bands" (this was for my watch for christmas 3 years ago).  But when it came to buying my ring, he wanted it to be a surprise and he knew if he asked me, I'd figure it out so he got my mom to do it! My mom took me and my sister to the jeweler "to look for the new bands" for my parents 25th vow renewal. While we were there she had me try on rings and see which ones I liked and we found out my ring size.  I should have figured it out then, but I just took it as my mom is crazy... I found out afterwards that she emailed FH the cut, my ring size, and reminded him that i was allergic to some fake metals.

**I love him like a fat kid loves cake**  Kiss

Posted: Apr 14, 2008 5:35 PM Go to message in response to: We2Heart

well, i must've said a million times i want a princess. princess, princess, princess. While he was freaking out, he's like, you said you wanted EMERALD! You most certainly did!!!

he must've knew it was squarish and gotten them confused. So it's a little disheartening that I even specified what I like and he got the wrong one :(   See, I like the sparkliness!

I just have mixed feelings about it but I'm trying to stay positive.

PaigeElizabeth Posts : 33 Registered: 3/10/08
Posted: Apr 14, 2008 6:06 PM Go to message in response to: BlushingBride03

I have an emerald cut...I absolutely love it.  When my FH asked me what I would want, I said emerald would be my 1st choice and princess would be my 2nd choice.  We've been engaged for 5 months, and I STILL can't stop looking at my ring.  And don't worry about the sparkilyness (sp?)...as long as you keep it clean, it sparkles like crazy.  And I seriously mean that.  Because the facets are larger, lotion, hand soap , and antibacterial hand gel tend to get caught fairly easily (I'm in nursing school, so I wash my hands allot).  I clean my ring once or twice a week, and it sparkles. A sunbeam caught mine in the car earlier today and almost blinded me. My ring is beautiful and perfect, and its just me.  I agree with Fitzer...the emerald cut is more timeless than the other cuts. And it is unique.  Almost everyone I know has princess.  Only one other person I know has an emerald cut. Here is a pic of my ring: 

I know that now all you can think about is the ring and what it looks like (I've been there), but once he proposes it will be the last thing on your mind.  My FH was so excited, and he was pointing out all these different reasons why he got this specific ring for me.  Nothing else mattered other than the fact that we were finally engaged and this was the ring he had chosen especially for me.  I'm sure that you will love the ring, and congratulations!

June 6, 2009

Posted: Apr 14, 2008 6:39 PM Go to message in response to: PaigeElizabeth

thanks for the encouragement! May i ask how big your center stone is and what size your fingers are? I'm trying to picture it on my own hand :)

and i think he got little stones down the band on mine too, but I really don't know what those will look like.

Elbelle77 Posts : 222 Registered: 1/24/08
Posted: Apr 14, 2008 6:42 PM Go to message in response to: BlushingBride03

I just have to say that the pictures of rings that are posted are gorgeous!! I think you will be very happy with your ring :)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine