Hope this isn't controversial...

Online Users: 1,273 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 90

77ChevyGirl Posts : 272 Registered: 1/6/08
Re: Hope this isn't controversial...
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 1:00 AM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

Birdlover,

I'll put in my 2 cents, and hopefully try to explain some things.

First off, you can absolutely support the troops and not the war.  I am so against this stupid war, it's ridiculous.  BUT, I support every single person out there.  I've sent thank you notes & Holiday cards & things to try to brighten their day a bit.  One of FH's best friends just got deployed.  We love him to death, but we hate the war.  So yes, you can support the troops & not the war.

You are right that military personnel have NO control over where they go.

I have ALWAYS wanted to enlist.  I've actually tried 3 times.  I have health issues that will not allow me to enlist.  For me personally, it's about the discipline and honor that goes with it.  I think that if I could be in the military, it would make me a better person.  I'd be far more disciplined than I am.  I would be more regimented.  I think there's a lot of honor & respect that comes with all the hard work & sacrifice a soldier makes.  And although I am not really a patriotic person, I just feel that it's the right thing to do - that I'm supposed to do it.  I'm sure not every one feels that way, but that's just my personal feeling. 

~ Lauren - The Future Mrs. Harvey

Posted: Apr 10, 2008 7:10 AM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

I am one of those Americans that supports the troops but not the war. I do NOT support George Bush, he is ruining our country in so many ways. But the troops need our support, respect and love. THEY are not the ones who started this war. THEY are doing an honorable thing for all of us. 

The other night I watched a new report on a young man who died saying his fellow soldiers by blocking a grenade with his body. His family received the metal of honor from the president. As I was crying for their loss, I was also struck by a strong sense of anger at our president as he stood there crying on the news. I hope he realizes that his serious lack of judgment is what cost that young man his life. That young man deserves all the praise and honor we can afford him, our president is not fit to present those honors to him in my opinion.

So, to answer the question, yes it is possible to support the troops and not the war or the president. 

FALLbrideINLOVE Posts : 1,056 Registered: 3/30/07
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 8:02 AM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

i don't know why anyone would want to be a soldier.  it is mind boggling to me

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 9:04 AM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

I am defintely a troop supporter but not so much a war supporter. I have a couple friends who were deployed and I know I sure as hell would not have ever joined the military. So i commend them for doing something, I myself, could never do.

While I am not claiming to know a whole lot about the war, I dont think its the right thing right now to just pull out.  I feel like that could have bad repurcusions.  I do feel like a new president will see it from a different perspective and do what's right.

I think a lot of people forget that WE, the people, have NO CLUE what goes on behind closed doors. We only hear the death tolls and the sad stories and the media blowing things out of proportion. I truly do think that the government at one time did have the country's best interest at heart, but now 4 yrs later, I think the situation needs to be re-evaluated and looked at differently.

Formerly Ama102707

CyclistLover Posts : 1,183 Registered: 7/9/07
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 9:45 AM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

Birdlover - as you stated - you don't understand, and I'm guessinig you never will. 

I proudly support our troops.  They are sons, daughters, wives, and husbands, friends, loved ones of someone and they are defending my country.  The same country that 1000's of people risk their lives to try and enter and live. 

That is all.

Happiness is a puppy greeting you at the door

AND

Llama Jjamas

Message was edited by: CyclistLover

RoBelle Posts : 1,236 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 9:55 AM Go to message in response to: CyclistLover

Another American here that DOES NOT support the war BUT I do support our troops.  And likes it been mentioned a few times already, I believe some join for the perks.  College, jobs, etc. 

babies

ChrissLady Posts : 1,352 Registered: 4/5/06
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 10:01 AM Go to message in response to: RoBelle

My husband is a former Marine.  He served for 8 years, and was stationed in Japan and Korea.  Currently he is in nursing school, and was thinking of joining the AF when he graduates.  Now he says if McCain is elected, he may need to rethink his plan.

As far as the supporting the troops goes, you'd be a fool not to.  However, I do know a lot of soldiers who don't appreciate people ranting on and on about the war.  Yeah, you may not agree with it, but sometimes to constantly hear that it takes a toll on them.  My cousin is in the AF and is about to begin his 2nd tour in Afghanistan.  He stopped speaking to another cousin because she kept going on and on about why he is supporting this war and killing innocents and blah blah blah.  Well, now that I think about it, she's just generally a *itch anyway.

WWW.MYWEDDING.COM/CHRISTOPHERANDMONICA

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 10:09 AM Go to message in response to: CyclistLover

Birdlover I think you are brave for opening up this dialogue particularly since brides.com has primarily American users. I think we have consensus that you can support the troops and not the war. Consensus in brides.com and its about war! As a Canadian I can understand why the question is asked. The media obviously is not responsible for the war but they primarily shows American troops engaged in fighting and the tragedy that goes with it, at least on televisions of foreign countries. They don't show peacekeeping missions or people behind the scenes because thats not going to keep viewers tuned in. Now that I am living in the USA my perception has shifted somewhat because I see real soldiers, and am married to an ex-navy officer (IT guy and never had to shoot a gun). Above someone referred to BirdLover as an outsider and she is because she lives in Canada, but America in general, and more specificially the American military impacts many countries of the world so many people outside of the USA have a vested interest in the war. When the 9/11 attacks happened trade centres in all parts of the world shut down and people world wide mourned the loss. As Bush stated "Your are either with us or you are against us" and countries were forced to state alliances even if they didn't have any. This war reaches world wide and effects many people outside USA and so is something many people think about. Obviously the effects of the war are far reaching or they would never reach a forum on brides.com!

CyclistLover Posts : 1,183 Registered: 7/9/07
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 10:20 AM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

You rock Tanis!

Happiness is a puppy greeting you at the door

AND

Llama Jjamas

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 10:48 AM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

My feelings on the military-as-heroes rhetoric:

I believe that, at the end of the day, every person overseas is there so that I don't have to be.  I'm not saying that I'd ever go if I were, hypothetically in an alternate universe, drafted.  I might flee the country.  But I don't have to, because the government has never asked me to, because others do it for me.

So in that way, they are heroes.  They are taking a job that no one else wants to do. And as far as I'm concerned, in that way they are more heroic than many doctors, because doctors are universally praised (with some exceptions) for the work that they do, while the military is often shunned by people who don't agree (and don't understand) with what the military actually does. 

For me, the true heroes are the people who sacrifice their bodies, or their money, or their time, to do a job that is frequently understaffed, under-funded, or overlooked.  So that includes officers, teachers, social workers; doctors who work in inner-city ERs dealing with same gangbangers/drug overdosers day after day after day; community organizers who advocate on behalf of those who either can't, or won't help themselves.

My issue with most people (including our president) is that there is really this weird desire to romanticize what war is, what it does to men and to their families.  We don't see the loss of limbs, the post traumatic stress disorder, or the kids growing up without their mothers or fathers.  Instead, we just want to sweep it all under the rug under the illusion of the young, idealistic officer who goes to war, fights for freedom, and comes home (limbs intact) to the loving arms of his family, completely unscathed. We just don't want to address the crap that they have to do out there, the mess that constant threat of violence will do to your head, the sorrow in those who have to stay at home without their partners and raise children, alone.

So my view, regarding supporting the troops? 

Support our troops.  Bring them home.

Vote!  http://www.barackobama.com/index.php

Posted: Apr 10, 2008 10:54 AM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

I support the troops 100% and I want them home now....because I think this war is the biggest bullshit move our dumbass president could have possibly pulled.

Posted: Apr 10, 2008 11:01 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

AMEN GIN!!!

babies

Posted: Apr 10, 2008 11:01 AM Go to message in response to: RoBelle

TANIS, VERY WELL PUT!!!
babies

Retired Posts : 808 Registered: 4/17/06
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 11:28 AM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

I think you can support the troops without supporting the war.

Those soldiers are MY MEN. They are MY boys going over there to fight, and I sure as hell am going to support them. I don't care if they're fighting for something I believe in or don't believe in. I will fly the flag for them and I will proudly say I support the troops, and I'll argue with anyone who doesn't.

From the way you wrote your post, you sound like you DON'T support the troops, but then you say you think it's possible to support them wthout supporting the war. So I have to ask, which is it? If you support the troops, then you should have no problem saying "I support the troops."

You mention "why would you join if you might get deployed to fight for a cause you don't believe in," but not everyone is against the war like you are. Some people DO believe in the cause.

And then there are those who join simply because it's their country. It doesn't necessarily matter if the cause is one they agree with or not. Their country is at war, and they feel it's their duty to step up for her.

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 12:02 PM Go to message in response to: Retired

Maybe BirdLover will come back and clarify, but I don't think she is saying she doesn't support them. I think she is asking what other people think. You say that the soldiers are "my men and my boys". To her they probably are not because she is Canadian. There has been an assumption from the beginning of the thread that she is talking about American troops. Now if a Canadian says these are my boys and my soldiers, referring to American military, it might start a riot. She may have been talking about Canadian troops. Small but mighty. You don't really hear about Canadian troops. And not just here but even in Canada you don't hear it much. Persnally I think she is referring to American troops in which case I go back to the point that she is Canadian and may not even feel she has the right to say she supports or doesn't support. At least that is how I feel as a Canadian. Now that I live in USA and have ways of actually supporting troops I am more likely to say I support the troops, whereas before living in canada and saying I support the troops would have been a bunch of blah, blah, blah because I couldn't actually DO anything to demonstrate that.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine