Planning a vow renewal

Online Users: 1,295 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 3,687

ryanne Posts : 1,042 Registered: 4/27/06
Re: Planning a vow renewal
Posted: Jan 18, 2010 9:51 AM Go to message in response to: rhiamon

Hey ladies!

I'm not planning on doing a vow renewal in the very near future (we've only been married for 18 months) but I would like to have one at some point. Now, DH and I are "planning" to start a family after we've been married for about 5 years. If everything goes as planned, the thought occured to me that I would like to do our vow renewal during our first pregnancy not only to celebrate our marriage and our love, but also to celebrate the new chapter in our lives. I think it would be a good way for us to refocus on us as we prepare to become parents.

What do you all think?

Mrsshoemaker Posts : 1 Registered: 1/27/10
Posted: Jan 27, 2010 5:40 PM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

My husband and I are doing the samething only 8 years later due to him being in the military.

LunaAurora Posts : 1 Registered: 3/1/10
Posted: Mar 1, 2010 2:34 AM Go to message in response to: Mrsshoemaker

Hi Ladies,
I'm plannin our vow renewal as well. We were married 6 years ago in a courthouse ceremony. We've attempted to have a wedding later on, but ....there's a lot that happened. Anyhow, my husband is military as well and deployments are our main issue but we've settled on a date, now I spend my extra time planning and replannin...lol

koshershiksa Posts : 1 Registered: 3/31/10
Posted: Apr 1, 2010 12:07 AM Go to message in response to: rhiamon

Hey Rhiamon!
We are location buddies, sorta! Hubs and I got married a year ago but I absolutely hated my wedding, and Hubs is wonderful enough to let me do it all over again.
Anyway, we are going to do it all over again on our fifth anniversary, and I've been doing quite a bit of research, but really it's all a bunch of opinions. You need to think about what YOU want, and do that. I haven't posted much on here, but I've been lurking for a while, and these are the most supportive women on the 'ol interwebs.
So, Let me throw my hat into the ring.
The most important thing about the vow renewal that you and your husband plan is that it reflects YOU. or Y'ALL, haha. If your husband wants to involve people by having attendants, then do it! If you want to carry a bouquet, then DO it! If there is something that you want that you will regret not having, then HAVE it.
The only things that are really innapropriate is having your father walk you down the aisle, I mean, he's not giving you away, right? You're not moving out of his house, into your future husbands.
Oh and also, don't register. No one needs more stuff. Especially if you've been married and living together and accumulating stuff.
Now I need to go back and look at your question again to see if I have actually helped. I kinda got lost on a tangent, there.
Basically, suffice it to say, Screw the haters, do it your way, or you will only live to regret it.
Says the lurker,
koshershiksa

MrsNunesAgain Posts : 1 Registered: 4/8/10
Posted: Apr 8, 2010 5:25 PM Go to message in response to: koshershiksa

Hi everyone,

My husband and I have been married for 9 years now. Since our wedding we have always known we were going to renew our vows at our 10 yr anniversary (7/2011). We were married in Jamaica with about 8 other people there with us. The resort that we were married at is closing for good this year and we have decided to have it here locally so that all of our family and friends can take part. Having a date is as far as we've gotten.

Is there some sort of proper ettiquette regarding renewals?
Any ideas or suggestions of where to have it?

4 kids later, we definitely want to include them in whatever we decide.

Help.....I'm all over the place

Edited by: MrsNunesAgain on Apr 8, 2010 5:26 PM

HaidynP Posts : 10 Registered: 2/20/10
Posted: Jun 4, 2010 8:05 AM Go to message in response to: MrsNunesAgain

Hi! My name is Haidyn and I'm planning a vow renewal for Oct/2011. I really hate that term though "vow renewal." We are going to have a very small anniversary party where we will take a few minutes and renew our vows and then back to the party.

frostedfantasies Posts : 1 Registered: 2/21/11
Posted: Feb 21, 2011 10:10 AM Go to message in response to: Nichole3

How did everyone announce to their family/ies that they were having a vow renewal? My DH and I are planning one for our anniversary, Sept. 30th. I don't think our families will be negative or anything so I'd like a special way to announce to them that we're doing this. Not just a "Hey, we're going to renew our vows." Any ideas?

MrsSJones Posts : 1 Registered: 2/21/11
Posted: Feb 21, 2011 10:23 PM Go to message in response to: frostedfantasies

Hi girls. My hubby and I will be married 14 yrs this September. However the last 3 yrs have been very hard. We have gotten past that and are planning on a vow renewal. We have chosen not to do it on our anniversary but will do so in the next couple of months. Im having such a hard time with it. My head is spinning with ideas, things I read on what should be done and what should not be done, what is appropriate to wear and what is not. Its so nerve racking.
I don't know whether to go somewhere and do it, do it here at home, whether to involve our 2 children or our family. I could really use some advice, im so confused

MrsSJones
(Tonya) :-)

BabyBear Posts : 1 Registered: 7/11/11
Posted: Jul 11, 2011 7:54 AM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

We're going to have a vow renewal for our 15th anniversary. :)

Wedding Tickers

valeriek Posts : 3 Registered: 9/7/11
Posted: Oct 11, 2011 2:29 PM Go to message in response to: koshershiksa

I agree! Just how it's distasteful to wear white when you've been living with the groom before marriage, have mixed matching attendants, best women, bride's men or someone other than the father walking you down the aisle, there are exceptions to every rule! How is a vow renewal any different? I have been married 3 and a half years and renewing our vows on our 5th wedding anniversary. Despite all the negative attitudes on wearing a big wedding gown, having bridesmaids, etc, it is all UP TO YOU! Your family and friends will understand your reasoning, otherwise, they should not be there. It is every girl's dream to have the big white wedding and due to extenuating circumstances, why should ANYONE be denied that chance if they didn't have it the first time? Toss out the bachelor and bachelorette parties, those are obvious ones... you are already married. No registries, no bridal showers. But you can have a celebration party with your close relatives, and it's up to them if they want to bring a gift or not, but don't go asking. But if you had to go simple on your first wedding due to costs, your immediate relatives got into a disagreement and left your wedding early, the whole ceremony and reception was cut short by other people leaving early and you didn't have the dancing you dreamed of. If your wedding pictures turned out horrendous and you were rushed through your special day or it was ruined by family drama, you should be able to have the care-free celebration you deserve. But if you want to have a big wedding gown that you didn't have before, have your attendants participate in your ceremony once again and have the reception you never had, why the heck not?! It's about YOU, not what everyone else thinks proper etiquette is. My relatives understand that we had a simple ceremony that had a lot of disaster and are very excited for us. Make sure you are doing it for the love of your husband or wife. Not if you had a big bash the first time around and just want to have another party.

Edited by: valeriek on Oct 11, 2011 2:35 PM

murphyjkelly Posts : 6 Registered: 9/14/11
Posted: Oct 13, 2011 7:45 AM Go to message in response to: Nichole3

For my anniversary we went to Vienna and I could not have had a better time. The city is one of the most beautiful places in the world! We stayed in The Ring Hotel which was lovely. If your thinking of going away for an anniversary I would recommend it! http://www.theringhotel.com/. Here's the link and congratulations!

emonty Posts : 1 Registered: 10/15/11
Posted: Oct 15, 2011 1:28 PM Go to message in response to: BabyBear

Hi,

My name is Evelyn and I am new to the board. My husband and I are planning our vow renewal ceremony for July 2012 for our 30th wedding anniversary.

We were married in city hall so we could go on a lavish honeymoon to the islands of Hawaii, which was beautiful. He feels I missed out on the dress, photos, etc..

So we will be renewing our vows on board the NY Spirit and going around NY harbor with 50 of our family members and closest friends. I will be wearing a tea length dress and will have my best friend walking down before me. My son will be taking me down the aisle and my youngest will be standing by his father.

Others opinions of how we celebrate our marriage after 30 long,wonderful and at times hard does not matter to us. They are welcome to join us celebrate our marriage or stay home.

This is about us and our commitment.

So please if you are planning on renewing your vows, do it. Don't let negative comments stop you from showing you are still committed and happy about it. In today's world that is a wonderful thing to celebrate.

I hope to find tips and ideas, as we only have the place but no other final decisions have been made.

valeriek Posts : 3 Registered: 9/7/11
Posted: Oct 24, 2011 5:59 PM Go to message in response to: emonty

I agree with you, emonty! We are renewing our vows on our 5 year anniversary. Just like changes in weddings, your vow renewal is YOUR DAY and I agree that you deserve to celebrate however you feel. Nothing is 100% traditional anymore. I'm wearing my original wedding dress and walking down the aisle with my husband while our original wedding party waits for us at the altar. If anyone has a bone to pick about celebrating your marriage or how you do it, they can stay home!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine