A little too weird for a ring?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 16

MrsCole Posts : 9 Registered: 2/23/08
A little too weird for a ring?
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 2:54 AM

Ok...I don't like diamonds xD There I said it...I think they're guady and showy and much too girly and ordinary to me...Which is a funny thing to say seeing as how my favorite sort of "stone" if you could call it that, is pearls. I adore them and how they look good with anything and look so classy and classic movie-star esqe. My boyfriend/fiance knows this, so when it came time to pop the question he asked me what kind of ring I want. Immedietely I said a pearl one. He was a little hesitant and said it was so cheap looking and untraditional. We compromised on a pearl with diamonds around it just to make each other happy, but he still seems un-easy. Honestly, I think he's worried of how people will judge him based on the ring. If everyone see's it's a pearl not a diamond I think he's afraid they'll think he's cheap. But, I love pearls and they play a big part in my wedding...What do you girls think? Should I stay my course or should I bend to the traditional to make my man smile?

::What love has brought together let no man (or mother-in-law) tear apart::

When is my wedding

SparrowSong Posts : 77 Registered: 11/5/07
Re: A little too weird for a ring?
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 6:03 AM Go to message in response to: MrsCole

I think non-diamond engagement rings are great. I think diamonds are pretty boring myself. However, pearls are soft and delicate, and I'd worry about a ring you wear every day holding up well to damage.

Kat78 Posts : 189 Registered: 2/9/08
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 7:49 AM Go to message in response to: MrsCole

i have always wanted sapphires in my ring and i didnt get them.. FH wanted diamonds and i did it cuz i love him so much well now i am in-love with my ring..

i say you do what you need to do... be it stick to your guns and get the pearl or cave in to FH and get the diamonds to make him happy...

maybe you say to him let me get the pearl as an engagment ring and then we will get diamonds as a wedding ring...

When is my wedding

"say i love you today cuz tomorrow you may not have the chance"

http://www.mywedding.com/jonathanandkathleenforever

UltimatePink Posts : 367 Registered: 10/15/07
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 1:37 PM Go to message in response to: MrsCole

I love pearls! I think it's a great idea.

The only issue I forsee is that pearls can lose their luster, let's say you wash your hands frequently. I always take off my pearl rings when I wash my hands. I have tahitian pearls that have lost some luster because of the hard water. Your FH might be surprised that some pearls cost more than diamonds. Diamonds are more resilient when it comes to everyday wear. Even compared to emeralds or rubies. But that's probably not what your FH is thinking.

There is nothing traditional about a diamond. Even sapphires and other colored stones have a tradition. Diamonds are just commercial. Not get me wrong, I love diamonds and have one, but I don't think there's anything traditional about it.

You're the one wearing the ring and you should be happy about it.

DoubleGreen Posts : 285 Registered: 8/12/07
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 6:52 PM Go to message in response to: UltimatePink

Pearls are beautiful, but they are not something to wear everyday. They are easily scratched, you have to beware of lotions, hairspray, etc. And like the previous poster said, they are quick to lose their luster. But it's not like you can't have them replaced every once in awhile.

MrsCole Posts : 9 Registered: 2/23/08
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 7:18 PM Go to message in response to: DoubleGreen

Me and FH have talked about how much care pearls require and we've come to the conclusion that if I take good care of it, take it off when I wash dishes and what-not, we think it'll hold up for a good decade or so xD If not, he says he has no problem replacing it or having it shined or anything I want. I talked over the pearl engagement ring and diamond band idea and he immediately loved it xD So right now we're looking around for that. Thanks for answering my questions and giving me all these ideas and things to think about xD I really really appreciate it!

::What love has brought together let no man (or mother-in-law) tear apart::

When is my wedding

RanAway2Maine Posts : 2,359 Registered: 1/27/08
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 7:39 AM Go to message in response to: MrsCole

I love your Bridezilla! I would have him read your post and all of the  ladies' replies!  They're great replies! Message was edited by: RanAway2Maine

Message was edited by: RanAway2Maine

Kat78 Posts : 189 Registered: 2/9/08
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 1:24 PM Go to message in response to: MrsCole

Oh i am so glad he liked my idea about the wedding ring... when you get your ring dont forget to show us

and BTW what does xD mean??

When is my wedding

"say i love you today cuz tomorrow you may not have the chance"

http://www.mywedding.com/jonathanandkathleenforever

luckykelleyk Posts : 113 Registered: 7/24/07
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 11:51 PM Go to message in response to: Kat78

I say go for it. The durability depends on the kind of pearl, but if necessary you can replace the pearl in your ring every few years (probably wouldn't be that expensive, but it would GREATLY depend on the size of the pearl and the type south sea, vs, tahitian, vs freshwater) If you get something around 9-10mm it would be a good size, plus not too expensive to replace. 
DaisypathWedding Ticker

May 3rd, 2008!!!!! 
                    www.MyWedding.com/RogerandKelley 

futuremrsperry Posts : 1,904 Registered: 4/23/06
Posted: Mar 2, 2008 3:53 PM Go to message in response to: MrsCole

A friend of mine is as no-traditional as you can get.  Her e-ring was a blue sapphire and it was perfect for her.  I honestly don't think he should worry about what other think.  All that matters is that you like it.   

gisalisa Posts : 10 Registered: 1/30/08
Posted: Mar 2, 2008 4:43 PM Go to message in response to: MrsCole

That is what my ring is I have a black pearl with diamonds around the sides. I didn't want to be like everyone else. Just keep telling your FH that you love the ring. It is about what you think not everyone else

secrets Posts : 13 Registered: 6/22/07
Posted: Mar 10, 2008 10:04 AM Go to message in response to: MrsCole

I think you have gotten a good bit of support for the pearl.  Pearls are also one of my favorites. 

You know that you can see when someone thinks something is odd or they disapprove so, just tell them that the pearl just like a relationship only builds it's size and beauty through years of developing layers, just like a relationship builds over time; and while the pearl is soft and fragile unlike the diamond, the pearl requires attention and care just like a relationship.  

Cheesy and sappy yes, but some variation of that should shut any nay sayers' mouths.

BoysMissLady Posts : 932 Registered: 1/18/07
Posted: Mar 10, 2008 10:15 AM Go to message in response to: MrsCole

I'm glad you all discussed it.  I love pearls they are so feminine.  They do require a great deal of care, but if he's willing that's wonderful.  I happen to LOVE the idea of colored diamonds, but they can be extremely expensive.  When we've gone ring shopping I've even considered those that are a little discolored that have a yellowish tone.  That's just me, and you should get what makes you happy!
Kiss 

KaylaMarriedBrett Posts : 146 Registered: 3/12/08
Posted: Mar 12, 2008 8:53 PM Go to message in response to: MrsCole

There is nothing wrong with not liking diamonds. Pearls are just as good if not better.

When is my wedding
Wedding Ticker from WhenIsMyWedding.com

October 17th, 2009 I will be a Mrs.!!!!

Message was edited by: KKBS10172009

DutchBride Posts : 118 Registered: 3/11/08
Posted: Mar 19, 2008 5:22 PM Go to message in response to: MrsCole

Honey, it is on YOUR finger and it will be YOUR ring.  Wouldn't you rather have something you love and WANT to wear than something you got just to shut up other people?  Personally, I do not dislike diamonds, but my center stone is a champagne diamond, which is a little strange, I guess.  My bf/fiance said he'd rather spend money on something I love than just buying something to go along with the grain.  Do what YOU want, it's YOUR ring, and YOUR marriage, and HIS money I suppose :P
* Marijke *

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine