Wedding ceremony organ music

Online Users: 1,274 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 2

MrsStrong62108 Posts : 107 Registered: 12/27/06
Wedding ceremony organ music
Posted: Feb 16, 2008 9:31 PM

I have yet to meet with the organist for our June 21st wedding, but I wanted to be a bit prepared.  Any good organ music out there?  I'I have NO idea what music I want played for the ceremony itself.  I know that we are not having anyone sing though.  Do you have to have music in the middle of the ceremony other than during the unity candle lighting? Any ideas would be welcomed, thanks!

HLYflute Posts : 1,282 Registered: 2/5/07
Re: Wedding ceremony organ music
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 6:09 PM Go to message in response to: MrsStrong62108

The organist should bring samples of things for you to pick from when you meet with them.  And how much music you need and what type is allowed depends on your church.  Music in the middle of the ceremony... probably depends on your church also and what type of ceremony you're having (A full catholic mass would require more, for instance).

What type of music do you like?  Do you want the traditional wedding music (Here Comes the Bride, Pachelbel's Canon, Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring, etc.) or are you looking for something different?  Any favorite pieces?  Any church mandated restrictions?  Post some more info and I'll try to offer some suggestions!

I would also suggest looking at CD's at your local library or at Border's/Barnes and Noble to get ideas.  Just look for CD's of wedding music; you can probably even find some with organ specifically.  That would be a good way to get ideas of what you like.

Also, look through the posts here on the music board and see if you can find some of the posts by Tabbygirl.  She has posted some links to websites where you can listen to samples, and they are wonderful!  Unfortunately I no longer have the links.

Tabbygirl Posts : 342 Registered: 3/28/06
Re: Wedding ceremony organ music
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 10:39 PM Go to message in response to: HLYflute

Hey there!  I come on here once in a while still.  I've placed the links at the bottom of this post.

HLYflute is right on with her suggestions advice. The amount of music for the ceremony all depends on the kind of ceremony you will be having and the requirements of the church as well as your own tastes.   For a lot of Protestant or secular weddings may have one or two pieces of music in the middle of the ceremony, especially if you are having the unity candle or a meditation piece.   Catholic weddings have a lot more music requirements because many contain the mass which require music for the liturgy.

These two links are great because you can listen to the entire works, rather to just little sections.  Keep in mind that recordings don't always get the best out of an organ. Also, every organ will use different flourishes, tempi, etc. with certain pieces.

http://www.stclementchurch.org/worship/sacraments/weddings/music.php

http://perkinschapel.webhop.net/

"Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrongs." - Charlotte Bronte

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine