I spoiled my surprise...UPDATE!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 42

bri88 Posts : 17 Registered: 1/29/08
I spoiled my surprise...UPDATE!
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 6:20 AM

I am not engaged yet, but have been waiting patiently for my boyfriend to propose for the last couple months. So this evening I was checking my email and accidentaly got signed in to my boyfriend's email account instead of mine. (I HATE that it remembers the last user!) Well, long story short, there was an email with the subject that said something like "saturday party proposal." I know that could mean anything (or at least thats what I keep trying to tell myself), but I know it is about my proposal.  

I resisted with every bone in my body not to click the link (sooo hard), but now I can't help but feel a bit disappointed that I have totally ruined my surprise. We have been talking very seriously about marriage and I knew it was going to happen before my birthday in March, but I didn't want to know the actual day!

Also, we are having a big beer pong party (I know, we are dorks!) at his house that night, so I am 99% sure it will happen then. How in the hell am I supposed to "play" well, knowing this will happen!!!

So basically my question is did anyone else spoil their engagement before it happened, and how did you not totally stress out about it? I just found out like 3 hours ago and it is all I can think about! I even painted my fingernails so I will have pretty hands.... I know... soo not helping!

Message was edited by: bri88

49ersfanatic Posts : 581 Registered: 3/30/06
Re: I spoiled my surprise...
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 8:02 AM Go to message in response to: bri88

I am going to get off topic here and forgive me if it sounds like I am being rude or harsh. But you say you guys are planning on having a "big beer ping party". That is something I did in college so that makes me wonder a couple things...

1. How old are you and your boyfriend?

2. If he does plan on proposing to you hopefully it will be before everyone comes over and starts getting drunk.

3. Hopefully he doesn't plan on proposing in the middle of a beer pong game.

Anyway, good luck and I wish you all the best.

DH and I Rolled the Dice and Took a Gamble at Marriage on July 15, 2006 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas! Viva Las VegasLaughing

Posted: Feb 8, 2008 11:20 AM Go to message in response to: bri88

Beer pong, huh?  Wow, I haven't played that since college!  I had a flashback, kinda funny!

Posted: Feb 8, 2008 11:52 AM Go to message in response to: 49ersfanatic

I'm 24 and my boyfriend will be turning 28 in a week. The party is actually for his birthday. He loves to play it, and its a good throwback to college life! We have had a "beer pong birthday party" for his since college. We didn't feel a need to stop just because we have graduated. No I don't think he would propose when we are drunk, I am assuming that it will happen before the games start. I think it has more to do with the fact that all of our friends and family will be there to see it. I don't know, maybe his will do it before when we are alone, and I can show off my ring at the party. And I don't have a problem with him proposing in the middle of a game. It would suit him and us, and would be honestly to me, alot more appropriate than taking me out on a romantic fancy dinner (That's just not us...) 

null

odeakc Posts : 70 Registered: 11/7/07
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 12:09 PM Go to message in response to: bri88

Beer Pong! That's great. I am 30 and would love to have a good game of beer pong. If that's your thing that great! About spoiling your proposal..It was a mistake! Don't fret about it and feel guilty. Plan to look great on that day!! Many pictures will be taken. I knew my FH was going to propose. He keep dropping all these little hints. "your going to have the best christmas ever" etc. He still to this day thinks he surprised me. And I let him think that. I don't want him to feel bad.

Have fun!!

Message was edited by: odeakc

MrsDupont Posts : 1,574 Registered: 4/14/06
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 12:17 PM Go to message in response to: bri88

Girl Get trashed!  Get so trashed that you can't walk... Then he wont do it... So it wont happen that day... it will happen another day you wont know about! 

cat http://mariamanddarell.ourweddingday.com/  CoolLLAMA JAMMIESInnocent

DestoB Posts : 638 Registered: 12/31/07
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 12:39 PM Go to message in response to: bri88

i say go open the email!  what if it has nothing to do with proposing marriage and now you're all excited?  ugh... now the suspense is killing me!  =)

i can't get this stinkin' ticker to work so here...  april 18, 2009!

http://llama.jjammies*

Posted: Feb 8, 2008 12:46 PM Go to message in response to: DestoB

Desto - I know! I am used every ounce of my willpower not to look. I promise I will come back with updates after this weekend!

Susie - HAHAHA! You are too funny. If I had the balls, I might consider it. JK! With my luck, he would be so overcome with nerves that he wouldn't even notice how drunk I was and do it anyways!

Anyways, thanks everyone for their advice. I am driving down to see him tonight (only 1 more month of long distance!) but I will try and sneak on later....!

bridesrocks Posts : 478 Registered: 9/25/07
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 1:09 PM Go to message in response to: bri88

Whatever you do don't ever tell him you think you knew because of the email.  If he's been planning this for a while he will be dissapointed that you know.  Just act surprise if he does and if he doesn't then you didn't ruin anything.  Get back to us with details!!!
Until I marry my Rockstar!

Beachwed Posts : 782 Registered: 9/19/06
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 1:18 PM Go to message in response to: bri88

I wouldn't open the email again, at least let what's going to happen be a surprise.  Otherwise you may start to act "not yourself" because you know exactly when and how it's going to happen.  You may know the day, but now you know nothing else beyond that.

I also knew my husband was going to propose... he still thinks he surprised me, but he's just horrible at keeping secrets and kept dropping hints, to him he thought he was being mysterious, and to me, I knew it was going to happen :)  I never told anyone that I knew... however, I only knew the weekend that it would happen (while we were on a trip).  The way he did it was a complete surprise, I'm so glad I didn't dig farther to find out how he'd do it, that made the best surprise!

Congrats in advance if he does do it that night!

triplej Posts : 92 Registered: 9/3/07
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 2:02 PM Go to message in response to: Beachwed

I think that you will be fine. Even if it does happen the day that you think it will, you don't know how he will do it, and that is the BEST part! I really didn't think that my hunny would be able to surprise me because I knew it was coming any time but he totally did! Don't worry, when it happens you won't even care that you may have found out the day and I promise you won't have to fake a surprised face!! 

Jamie : )

July 12, 2008 is the day I marry my everything!

soon2bmrswarner Posts : 187 Registered: 10/23/07
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 2:24 PM Go to message in response to: bri88

Well, if it makes you feel any better, most of the girls that I know knew they were getting engaged before it happened because they had to make sure their FHs and DHs got everything right lol. They went and picked their rings and one even dictated which family event he was to do it at (the one with the most family members and friends present of course).  I actually had no clue at all-even though now that I think about it he did drop tons of hints. I just didn't think it was a proposal because we were broke ass that X-mas so I thought he wouldn't have been able to get a ring. Lol, how wrong I was. Just make sure not to give away what you know like another PP said, act surprised. I think that even if you know it won't dull the emotional response you will have. It's one of the best feelings in the world.

I am loving the beer pong party by the way-even though I suck at it. Please let us know what happens because I'm dying to find out! Smile

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 3:19 PM Go to message in response to: bri88

dear Bri,

The email was a "red herring" to throw you off track. The real surprise will come some other time.

Posted: Feb 8, 2008 3:33 PM Go to message in response to: bri88

Maybe it's an old email and it was someone proposing that you guys have a party some saturday.

Ii Llove Mme Ssome Llama Jjammies

ryanne Posts : 1,042 Registered: 4/27/06
Posted: Feb 8, 2008 3:50 PM Go to message in response to: bri88

lol. I ruined my surprise too. But it wasn't all my fault...

FH and I were looking into buying a house and all that, and one afternoon we were at the mall looking at appliances and we decided to go get food. So on the way there I talked him into going into the jewelry store. We ended up going to a couple of them, and at the last one, I found my ring. FH ended up buying it on the spot, and then told me that I couldn't have it. So I pouted for a little bit and he gave to me an hour later. I found out later that he had kind of had a plan in the works, and that I had spoiled it. He wasn't terribly happy about it, but then I had to point out the fact that he DID choose to give in to my pouting instead of making me wait. So like I said, it wasn't entirely my fault.

I am so terrible...I spoiled my christmas present too. He was getting me a music phone and then while we were out and about I found another phone that I liked and tried to talk him into letting me get it. I didn't get it, so I guess he learned from the first time. But yeah. I spoil most of my surprises. Don't know why that happens...or how, but I do.

So my big big challenge is to not spoil the honeymoon. FH is taking care of it and I want him to be able to surprise me. So I'm trying really really hard to be good. lol. :)

Our Wedding Website: www.mywedding.com/chrisandryanne

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine