Buying Rings Online

Online Users: 1,261 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 16

DocsGyrl402 Posts : 10 Registered: 2/2/08
Buying Rings Online
Posted: Feb 2, 2008 4:25 PM

Hello. Can anyone tell me about their experience buying rings online. Be it good or bad. I want to know because the ring I want is online but my fiance to be is nervous about getting it online.

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Re: Buying Rings Online
Posted: Feb 2, 2008 5:03 PM Go to message in response to: DocsGyrl402

Hi, we went through a similar thing.  One online company whose rings I really liked had a physical address about 100 miles from us, so we asked if we could go there and see the rings in person.  The guy said no, which made my husband think they were basically selling the jewelry off a loading dock, so he said we absolutely are not dealing with them.  The other company would not quote us a price for the ring I wanted -- their website showed it with a HUGE diamond way beyond our budget, and they kept saying they could do it with a smaller diamond, but obviously we were unwilling to place an order without knowing the price.  They also were very vague about the quality (color, clarity, etc.) of the diamond they would have gotten.  In the end we bought our rings from Tiffany's, where we could actually see them and try them on our hands before buying.
EveT

Tedsgirl Posts : 58 Registered: 1/5/08
Posted: Feb 2, 2008 6:20 PM Go to message in response to: DocsGyrl402

I picked out my engagement ring from Phillip Noel online and I couldn't be happier. The website had plenty of information about the clarity and color of the diamonds and you could pick the size of the center stone. I wanted an antique look for my ring, but I couldn't find anything I liked in my small town. Phillip Noel had a wonderful selection and their prices were so great I got a bigger diamond than I thought my FH could afford. They had free shipping and a 30 day return policy so I knew I could return the ring if it wasn't what I wanted - but it was perfect. If only they made a matching band for my ring I would be set!

Posted: Feb 2, 2008 6:22 PM Go to message in response to: EveT2007

Thanks for replying. Yea that sounds a bit suspicious, I don't blame you guys for not getting it online. Perhaps I should do the same. This company though list the price and other information I just don't know. Here is the site and ring. http://www.sunjewelry.com/er2678.html

Posted: Feb 2, 2008 6:26 PM Go to message in response to: Tedsgirl

Thanks for the info. I will check them out.

JaniceO Posts : 980 Registered: 12/5/06
Posted: Feb 2, 2008 8:05 PM Go to message in response to: DocsGyrl402

My husband bought my ring from Bluenile.com  I love it and the price was great compared to the stores.  Plus we didn't pay sales tax which saved a lot...

I have since bought gifts for our mothers and my MOH from Blue Nile and I have never been disappointed. 

Good Luck!

Janice 

Daisypath Ticker

Angele Posts : 76 Registered: 8/15/07
Posted: Feb 2, 2008 11:23 PM Go to message in response to: DocsGyrl402

Hi, if you're worried about buying online, I would suggest that you go to Pricescope.com and talk to some of the people on the forums there. All of the people there are very knowledgable and you get the added benefit of being able to talk to some of the online vendors. Its a very tight knit community with great advice. My best friend and husband bought from Blue Nile after talking to some of the people there. My FH and I spent some time talking to the people there when we were looking at rings as well. My FH bought me an antique engagement ring but he went to the forums for advice regarding the stone.

nanette927 Posts : 1,748 Registered: 1/28/08
Posted: Feb 3, 2008 5:20 PM Go to message in response to: DocsGyrl402

He bought my ring from E-Bay. he found a jewler that had different styles. He was looking for a specific grad and shape. He found a ring simular. He emailed the Co (in L.A.). They sent him a few pics of what he was looking for. He found it. paid for it and I LOVE IT! It came with an appraisal.  When he got it he took it to a well known jewler here in town to have it re-appraised.They valued at $23,000 (both engagement/wedding). The local jewler said he made out like a bandit. By all means be careful... if they aren't willing to answer ALL your questions or provide you with physical information. Don't do it. 

Blunile is good for rings too my girlfriend got heres on there.     

My man-My Love-My forever 

ImmortalWaste Posts : 22 Registered: 10/31/07
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 11:13 AM Go to message in response to: nanette927

FH also bought my ring off of E-bay, and we were very happy with the results. We payed 300 for my ring, which has since been appraised at roughly $4500. Its all about what you're comfortable with. If you can get an ER online for very cheap like we did, then IMO its worth the chance. If its crappy quality, then at least you didn't pay too much for it, but on the other end if its great and you love the ring, then you guys got a hell of a deal.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
imghttp://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;24/st/20090912/e/Our+Wedding/k/5c02/event.png[/img]
[/url]

Posted: Feb 12, 2008 3:18 PM Go to message in response to: ImmortalWaste

Hi do you remember the seller?

ImmortalWaste Posts : 22 Registered: 10/31/07
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 6:02 AM Go to message in response to: DocsGyrl402

Actually, its a little different than regular e-bay. We got it off of E-bay's live auctions, as opposed to a regular auction that lasts so many days. It was through a jewelry overstock company, so the idea is they have to sell the rings or they basically get melted down or thrown out. Thats why they sell for so cheap. The way it works is that you sign up for these auctions ahead of time, and if you can't be there for the actual live auction, you can place an absentee bid, so you put in a maximum price you want to pay, and it will automatically bid for you, up to your maximum price. All the jewelry starts at $1 and whoever places the highest bid in 1 minute is the winner. If you type "Jewelry Overstock Auctions" into a search engine, It will bring up the website where you can sign up for the auctions. I payed 300 for my e-ring, and 75 for my w-ring this way, and its great quality. Not only do all rings come with a certificate of authenticity, it also comes with an appraisal for insurance.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
imghttp://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;24/st/20090912/e/Our+Wedding/k/5c02/event.png[/img]
[/url]

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 11:30 PM Go to message in response to: ImmortalWaste

Okay thanks.

AmandaH2be Posts : 9 Registered: 4/16/08
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 2:27 PM Go to message in response to: DocsGyrl402

Got mine through Blue Nile and we are very pleased. It was probably pretty risky considering it's an Emerald cut and you have to be careful with clarity and such, but if you read the articles they provide you about chosing a diamond, you won't be disappointed. We shopped for mine together (we've been together I while and it's a big investment). Make sure you really look at the measurements of all the settings and the diamond you pick. Get yourself a mm ruler and use that to determine the size of the ring. I thought my band was going to be much thicker, but I'm glad that it wasn't. I love the ring and don't feel they misrepresented anything at all...I went back and looked and the width of the band is stated so I should have known. Customer service there is great and they do have a 30-day money back guarantee and will work with you if you are unhappy. It was a great experience for us though and we will be getting our bands through them as well.

Good luck with the search!

shelsgrl Posts : 164 Registered: 5/31/07
Posted: May 7, 2008 11:32 AM Go to message in response to: DocsGyrl402

FH got my e-ring from bluenile.com, and we got our wedding bands from e-weddingbands.com.  Both sites were amazing and helpful, and waaay cheaper than anything we found in physical stores, or from places like Zales or Kay!

"Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or even what you are. Rich is who you have beside you." ~JIK II

Ashleyanne2010 Posts : 447 Registered: 5/3/08
Posted: May 7, 2008 1:01 PM Go to message in response to: DocsGyrl402

docsgyrl,

before we got engaged, my fh asked me what kind of rings i liked since he was going to pick it out on his own and he wanted to at least have an idea. well, i thought i knew exactly what i wanted but then a girlfriend of mine suggested that we go in and try some on... so i went with her and it turned out that everything i thought i liked (from browsing the web) i hated and what i thought i didn't like, i loved! 

so my advice (regardless of buying online or in a store) is to try on some styles to see how they look on you.  as far as my experience goes, everything looked way different on my hand than in the pictures.

good luck finding the ring of your dreams! =D

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine