NEED HELP WITH HOLLOW TO HEM!!!

Online Users: 1,361 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 4

julie1012 Posts : 3 Registered: 12/30/07
NEED HELP WITH HOLLOW TO HEM!!!
Posted: Jan 25, 2008 11:12 AM

I am ordering my dress online and need the hollow to hem measurement. I tried the dress on in a store and a woman took my measurements but would not let me have them if I wasn't going to order my dress there. I believe it was 55 inches(I am 5ft 1 inch) but I'm not positive. It is a poofier dress, so should I go into another store, try on a poofy dress and get the measurements? Or does it not matter the fullness of the dress for hollow to hem? Help!!!

Sherezada Posts : 29 Registered: 12/4/07
Re: NEED HELP WITH HOLLOW TO HEM!!!
Posted: Jan 25, 2008 1:05 PM Go to message in response to: julie1012

I also ordered my dress online and I can tell you that the fullness of the skirt DOES COUNT on the hollow to hem measurement.

I don't know what online bridal store your planning on using, but the one I used was super helpful. They happened to have the dress I wanted to order in stock, so they had one of their employees (that is about the same height as me) wear the dress and took the mesaurements to compare. Low and behold, the hollow-to-hem measurement I had taken (which was taken straight down to the floor) was about 3 inches off, due to the fullness of the skirt. And mind you, my dress is mermaid style, so expect and ever bigger difference for a ballgown.

P.S. If you want the info of the online bridal store I used let me know. I just didn't want to post it here in fear that people will start thinking I'm a vendor. I'm just so freakin' amazed with their service! Laughing 

Fitzer Posts : 643 Registered: 8/7/07
Posted: Jan 25, 2008 1:26 PM Go to message in response to: julie1012

Hmm, I had my hollow to hem measured, but I don't remember what is was.  I think 55 seems long though, but not if your dress is very full, because hollow to hem does matter (they measured me in the dress, following the fabric rather than my body). 

HLYflute Posts : 1,282 Registered: 2/5/07
Posted: Jan 25, 2008 4:42 PM Go to message in response to: julie1012

I ordered my dress with the custom hollow to hem measurement also.  Yes, the poofiness makes a difference, as do the shoes!  When they did mine, I had to go buy my shoes, and then try on the sample with the crinoline.  I'm 5'6" and I want to say that my measurement was 60", but it may have been 61 or 62!  Sorry, that's probably not too helpful!  But if I'm 5 inches taller than you, and you think your measurement was 55, then maybe it's correct!

Lovelygril Posts : 21 Registered: 8/6/07
Posted: Jan 27, 2008 2:06 AM Go to message in response to: julie1012

i search it in google and the explaination as follows:

The Hollow to Hem measurement determines a specific length for the gown to be made. This measurement is suggested for heights under or over 5’8”. It is very important to wear the exact undergarments, slip, and shoes as the day of the wedding or event as this will affect the accuracy of the measurement. When selecting Hollow to Hem on the order form, please indicate the measurement in the space provided. Provide the measurement in whole inches. Half inches are not accepted. Availability and fees are dependent on each designer. 

• Stand straight and face forward with your arms at your sides.
  • Place the tape measure ¼” below the hollow or depression of your neck and measure to the waist following the shape of your body.
  • Measure from the waist to where you want the finished hem to fall following the shape of the slip.
  • Place the measuring tape ¼” below the hollow of the neck and measure to the approximate finished hem. If this measurement does not equal the total of the previous two measurements, repeat all three measurements until the measurements agree.

i dont know the mean,sorry for this,but i suggest that you can ask professional who make wedding dress,and you can ask sheshopping,they maybe can answer you better.

lovelygril

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine