How Long to wait for the proposal???

Online Users: 1,340 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 8

1SexyBride2B Posts : 18 Registered: 9/13/07
How Long to wait for the proposal???
Posted: Jan 13, 2008 10:20 PM

Hello-

My FH and I have been dating for 8 years with a 1 year breakup about four years ago. I am feeling very anxious and frustrated by the fact that he has not popped the question yet. We've talked about marriage, children, and the whole thing. He says that I'm the woman for him but another holiday season, my 30th bday, and New Years have come and gone with no proposal. He knows I am tired of waiting for him and asks that I be patient with him. But, 10 days before Christmas he went and bought himself a brans new sports car!!! I was furious but do not feel that I am ready to give up onan 8 year relationship. What say the ladies of the Engagement Forum??

1SexyBride2B! Kiss

amberstar Posts : 38 Registered: 6/17/06
Re: How Long to wait for the proposal???
Posted: Jan 14, 2008 5:51 PM Go to message in response to: 1SexyBride2B

i totally feel you pain- my bf and i have been together for 7 1/2 years- im still not engaged yet either, but have you though about asking him?? thats really the only insite i have since i am in your shoes too- hope it helps- =)
ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE!!!!Smile

JenlovesDon1 Posts : 217 Registered: 8/6/07
Posted: Jan 15, 2008 4:41 PM Go to message in response to: 1SexyBride2B

I feel your pain. A friend of mine went through something similar, but the guy turned out to be a jerk anyways, so it was a blessing.

What makes you think he would propose on your b-day, new year's, etc? Maybe he has something up his sleeve? Don't stress about it, and definantly don't get mad at him for not giving you a ring yet. He may just not be ready right now. Plus, from experience of my own, when you get mad or bring it up to them that you want to get engaged, it tends to push them away.

I think the question you should ask yourself is how long do you want to wait?

MrsMaldonado Posts : 2,852 Registered: 3/7/07
Posted: Jan 15, 2008 4:55 PM Go to message in response to: 1SexyBride2B

If you love him, then wait.
You have already talked to him, so that's all you can do.
If you don't want to wait, then let him know you are tired of waiting.
Maybe he is not planning on proposing on any of those days because that's when you are expecting it. Just give him time if you love him.

~Emy~

Bryan & Emy
October 4, 2008
Click Here for our wedding website

Are YOU an October 2008 Bride? JOIN US NOW!
http://groups.msn.com/october2008brides

Deedsbride Posts : 69 Registered: 5/8/07
Posted: Jan 15, 2008 5:09 PM Go to message in response to: 1SexyBride2B

If you truly love him you willwait forever for him! He might be thinking valentines day but who knows! I wouldnt ask him or put pressure on him because i feel that if i was to do that to my fh before he proposed that it would have changed his mind, this might not be the case with your guy but you never know. Good luck and i hope everything works out for the two of you!

DestoB Posts : 638 Registered: 12/31/07
Posted: Jan 15, 2008 5:39 PM Go to message in response to: 1SexyBride2B

i dated fh for four years, we got together for four years, broke up for three months and have been back together since last may.  thanksgiving weekend there was still no sign of a proposal either in the works or imminent.  as we left best buy with a 43 inch flat panel television (after much talk of saving money for our future) i looked at him and told him i couldn't just whip a wedding up out of no where and if he planned on marrying me in '09 as he'd mentioned before, i needed some time to plan.  he looked over at me as he was driving and as i had a thermometer in my mouth (temp of 103 btw) and asked me to marry him.  we've never done anything in a traditional way so why start now.  if it's something you know is going to happen without a doubt and you feel comfortable enough, bring it up.  don't push or put out ultimatums because those will ultimately backfire but just bring it up in a matter of fact kind of way and see what happens.  good luck!

riderzblock Posts : 65 Registered: 10/30/07
Posted: Jan 15, 2008 5:46 PM Go to message in response to: DestoB

I think your advice makes sense deatuttut. My boyfriend told my friend he was saving for a ring and asked me what I liked, but nothing yet. I would hate to think I pushed him into it. One of my friends who was married 6 years ago and has two little kids just had her husband leave her saying he never wanted to get married and felt he had been manipulated into it. so sad:(

1SexyBride2B Posts : 18 Registered: 9/13/07
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 1:15 PM Go to message in response to: riderzblock

Thanks for all your advice! I am doing my best not to stress about when it's going to happen though I think it will be soon. And will let all of you know when it does!
1SexyBride2B! Kiss

MrsMaldonado Posts : 2,852 Registered: 3/7/07
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 1:29 PM Go to message in response to: 1SexyBride2B

Definitely keep us posted, hun!
Good luck!

~Emy~
  Bryan & Emy October 4, 2008

Click Here for our wedding website
Are YOU an October 2008 Bride? JOIN US NOW!
http://groups.msn.com/october2008brides

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine