Pearls......a prelude to diamonds?

Online Users: 1,343 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 2
Pearls......a prelude to diamonds?
Posted: Jan 7, 2008 11:14 PM

Ok, get this.  I am moving across country this summer to be with my b/f (FH).  We have not set a definitive wedding date due to a lot of circumstances that are beyond our control (huge move, son deployed, etc).  We have not looked at, nor has he purchased, an engagement ring for me.  However, he DID surprise me by buying me a string of pearls for Christmas.

Now, I am SUPER picky, which is why I'm sure he's terrified to purchase any significant jewelry for me, but I did mention specifically how much I love pearls - and I got them! 

Do you think pearls are a prelude to diamonds?  Could this be a step toward the engagement ring?

Reading a man's mind is next to impossible, so let me know what you think!

Many waters cannot quench love, neither can the floods drown it. - Song of Solomon 8:7

UltimatePink Posts : 367 Registered: 10/15/07
Re: Pearls......a prelude to diamonds?
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 9:16 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm with you: I love love love pearls! I think they're so classic. I own way too many.

You know, reading a man's mind IS next to impossible, hence it really can't be done. Usually, they need bluntness. You did say that you have not set a definite date yet, but "getting engaged" is in discussions? Would he be apt to ask you to look for rings with him? Sometimes, you might need to say, Ok, I think we're ready for "the next step" and start looking for rings.... unless you like being surprised.

I think that it's super sweet he got you pearls. He definitely wanted to do something special for you. It may or may not be an indicator. After all, giving you anything but the engagement ring is less pressure (that is, in a guy's mind anyways).

Re: Pearls......a prelude to diamonds?
Posted: Jan 13, 2008 12:27 AM Go to message in response to: UltimatePink

Pink,

MY FH and I both went through horrible marriages and even worse divorces.  My divorce was back in 1996, and his was more recent, in 2000.  He and I talk often and openly about our future together, so there's no doubt we'll be together.  The whole idea of marriage is something neither of us thought we'd even entertain again - but it's something we discuss often, even kidding each other about having an allergy to marriages.

I'm still so shocked he bought me a string of pearls - I don't know what to think!  I'm so picky that he spent 4 hours with me one night looking at watches on ebay.  I only found TWO that I remotely liked. lol... and he purchased the pearls after that.

I've gotten smart and have started a binder with clippings of things I like.  I keep it in a visibile place so he can flip through it when he's here, if he wants.  I'm a patient person - being able to commit to a person for the rest of our lives shouldn't be something that comes too quickly.  The good thing is that we have made a permanent commitment to each other.

Now comes my cross-country move!

Oh, and yes....I would love to be surprised, in a good way.  My first husband proposed to me during a ty-d-bol commercial. UGH.  Then my engagement ring sat on lay-a-way for months while he built his hotrod car (we were VERY young) and when he finally gave it to me, it came wrapped but slipped inside an oil filter box. HAHA, it sounds so freaking rediculous, WHY didn't ALARMS go off then?  I would love to be surprised this time around - I think every girl deserves to remember her proposal as something incredible and special - not something that took a back seat to a car.

Many waters cannot quench love, neither can the floods drown it. - Song of Solomon 8:7

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine