Too early to look for reception sites?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 8

theorlandobride Posts : 43 Registered: 11/8/07
Too early to look for reception sites?
Posted: Dec 15, 2007 9:13 AM

This is my first post--partially because I'm not engaged yet.

I'm living with my boyfriend right now, and we've been together for a year and a half. We're pretty much going to get married, and we've decided we want to get married next new years. He's just waiting to surprise me with a ring. But we're set on a new years wedding. In Orlando because that's where I'm from.

We live in South Carolina though. We were thinking of seeing reception sites while we're visiting my family over the holidays. My mom is worried because she thinks because I don't have a ring it's inappropriate. What do you think?

Is it okay to look for reception sites in Orlando over break? We visit Orlando maybe three or four times a year. And we want to get a feel for what Orlando is like in the winter (because our wedding will be in the winter). Okay to look? Or inappropriate? 

Message was edited by: orlandobride08

Message was edited by: orlandobride08

JAllen Posts : 793 Registered: 9/1/06
Re: Too early to look for reception sites?
Posted: Dec 15, 2007 9:34 AM Go to message in response to: theorlandobride

As long as you guys have talked about it, and know you are getting married, go for it!  Just because you don't have a ring, or he never "officially" proposed doesn't mean anything!  You've talked about it, you set a date, so go ahead!  This is the perfect time to look, because it will be this time next year, so you can see what the places are going to look and feel like.  We are getting married next Novemeber at Paradise Cove in Orlando.  I don't know what type of wedding you want, but that is a place worth checking out.  And if your still going to be in town on the 6th of January, there is a bridal show at the Wyndham where you can meet some vendors and check some things out.  Hope this helps a little!  Let me know if you need any help, I'd be glad to do what I can.  I understand how hard it is to plan a wedding from another state, I started planning ours for Oregon because that is were we are from, but it was just too hard.  I had no one to help me, so we ended up changing it to Orlando. 

http://www.mywedding.com/vanceandjammie/

PTGirl09 Posts : 141 Registered: 9/4/06
Posted: Dec 15, 2007 9:35 AM Go to message in response to: theorlandobride

It sounds to me that if you are already planning the wedding, you are engaged.  Assuming your fiance is onboard, I would definitely try to find a place soon.  Sites really book up quick with in a year.  I would assure your mom that you have both made a firm decision to get married, and he just hasn't formally asked you with a ring yet.  None of the event planners should care if you aren't wearing a ring, but you may not want to tell a lot of family members that you are setting a date until you get formally engaged (it ruins the surprise for them too).

Love2u Posts : 1,661 Registered: 10/24/07
Posted: Dec 15, 2007 10:47 AM Go to message in response to: JAllen

As long as you are confident about your wedding, you should find a place sooner than later.  Reception sites book out amazingly early.  You will most likely have to put down a deposit and lots of places do not do refunds (although most will allow you to change the date). 
Love2uKiss

theorlandobride Posts : 43 Registered: 11/8/07
Posted: Dec 15, 2007 5:34 PM Go to message in response to: JAllen

Thanks for your advice! I've been looking at reception sites online. 

He wants me to pick the place over the break. I'll let you guys know what happens!!

I just have to get my mom to chill out. haha That's good about telling her it's certain. I will have to have a heart-to-heart talk. :-) 

BrideChica Posts : 2,300 Registered: 12/25/06
Posted: Dec 15, 2007 5:40 PM Go to message in response to: theorlandobride

There's nothing wrong with taking a look at sites.  Just make sure you jot down some things that you likes or disliked.  It will be much easier making a decision later.  Also, be prepared to be asked when you are getting married and other questions like that.

ryanandamanda Posts : 376 Registered: 7/25/07
Posted: Dec 15, 2007 8:53 PM Go to message in response to: theorlandobride

For sure go look.  You want to be able to see the site in the season that you'll be getting married there.  We booked our site before we were actually engaged!

coastiebride Posts : 1,365 Registered: 3/26/07
Posted: Dec 15, 2007 9:35 PM Go to message in response to: ryanandamanda

Sure go ahead with it as long as he's on bored with it! I would deffinitly look and take pictures and get a price quote and a menu for all those places. Also ask how many they will hold and be aware many places in orlando you need to have a minium number! 100-150 ect There are many places to look into for an orlando wedding i would look into off of I 4 there are beautiful reception site over looking lakes just off I4 heading towards UCF. I would think about keeping the reception and ceremony relitivly easy to get to with the constant construction and diffrent highways people from out of town get lost every quicly in orlando! Best of luck!

Going to the Chapel December 6th 2008

Love is a four-letter word spelled G-I-V-E

Check out my personal site :myspace.com/dixidarlinxo

Check out my wedding website too: http://jharrellandbpittman.weddings.com

Posted: Dec 16, 2007 12:39 AM Go to message in response to: theorlandobride

As long as it is HIS idea to look at places, GO FOR IT!  Maybe he plans on giving you a ring while you are there!  Since he is the one doing the asking, take his lead, not your family's.  If he is initiating wedding plans, chances are, he knows something you don't!  I would take the opportunity to fantasize about your dream wedding location while you are already flying there. Afterall, it isn't like you are putting down a deposit!  :)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine