Do you think he's going to propose?

Online Users: 1,251 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 11
Do you think he's going to propose?
Posted: Dec 6, 2007 9:00 PM

Has anyone ever had a hunch that it was going to happen? About 5-6 weeks ago he told me he had ordered my Christmas present. Prior to that a close friend to both of us got engaged and once I started to talk about the ring he said "I never asked you, what would you want in a ring?" Then we were watching the Bachelor finale and he mentioned how the ring on the show looked small... other comments have been made like maybe he'll wait to give me my Christmas present until our anniversary (New Years). All of these actions have been leading me to the idea that he is but then he threw in "I think I am going to return your gift, it isnt very creative because I just went to a store and bought it" (all of our gifts have been unique... skydiving, personalized painted pictures, etc) Then today he said he picked up my gift and that he got me a surprise. The suspense is killing me but I don't want to be all hyped up thinking that is what it is and then it not be and have to force a happy face to whatever it is he got for me for Christmas.

So I guess my ultimate question is... has anyone else seen any signs similar to these prior to?

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Re: Do you think he's going to propose?
Posted: Dec 6, 2007 9:34 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Well, yes, I've seen similar signs.  It was a long time ago, when I got engaged to my 1st husband.  He did indeed present me with an e-ring on Christmas morning.  It was kind of awkward because I honestly did not like the style of ring that he chose.  He had never asked me what kind of ring I wanted, and I didn't think I had the right to talk about it if he didn't ask.  Several months later the ring broke (prongs & diamond fell off -- luckily it happened at home) so I had a good excuse to go and choose a different style of ring.

I guess my advice would be to try not to get your hopes up.  Whatever your guy is giving you for Christmas, he probably wants a wonderful happy reaction from you, and if you have a certain expectation chances are you may not give him the reaction he's hoping for.

EveT

Posted: Dec 10, 2007 1:43 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I thought I saw signs for over a year before FH finally got around to proposing.  LOL.  He's a little slow.

Tongue out

"If we weren't all crazy we would go insane"  ~Jimmy Buffett

MrsWilliams2008 Posts : 1,431 Registered: 7/19/07
Posted: Dec 10, 2007 2:03 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

It's very possible he's about to propose. I saw signs but I was WAY off... FH always said when he got out of school we would talk about marriage. He proposed a full 13 months before (he's graduating in May). I honestly thought he was going to propose to me on his graduation day, lol. But instead I get to be his wife only a month after. And I'm so glad, cuz this planning has me about CRAZY!

But anyway, to answer your question, he asked about my ideal jewelry, he talked about who he wanted in the wedding, and honeymoon places. Again, I knew he was going to propose just not as soon he did. So relax, and I really hope your Christmas present is an e-ring!

http://www.theknot.com/ourwedding/RyAnne Stafford&RobertWilliams, Jr

RMB0414 Posts : 1,386 Registered: 8/2/06
Posted: Dec 10, 2007 2:09 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

This just made me laugh thinking back about to when my hubby proposed!  We first tried on rings on our first anniversary, we knew it was too soon but he wanted to see what I liked.  We both fell in love with the ring that I have.  He proposed 8 months later on Easter, in a egg hunt! 

Why I'm laughing is because I was so anxious for it that whole time, that I said to him "you know I don't need to have that ring we picked out" and he flipped out.  He was like "what you don't even like it anymore!" and got all weird on me. I think it was the next week that Easter rolled around lol. 

But he also tried to give me the whole "why are you so into this" and the whole "I'm not ready" - about a month before it happened. It was all part of his "plan" to side track me lol. 

I think you have a good chance, but try not to get all excited just in case.  If he's anything like my hubby, he'd wait until the day after xmas or your anniversary - just to throw me off!

Keep us updated!

Posted: Dec 13, 2007 11:46 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

so yeah... I know exactly what you're going through.  Even though I haven't been with my guy for that long, I really really think he's about to propose for Christmas.  He told me a couple weeks ago that he had a surprise for me.  He likes torturing me by saying he has a surprise for me then not telling me what it is.  He knows it drives me crazy!  But anyways, for the last couple of weeks I have been trying to get hints out of him of what it is.  He keeps telling me that it's something small that can be HUGE.  Something that will drastically change our lives in every aspect.  Something that he had his sister help him pick out.  Something that I might cry when he gives it to me.  Something that's a two part surprise.  Something where the second part is usually formal and that my friends would kill me if they weren't involved in the second part.... and just soooo many more...  Everything just SCREAMS e-ring!  So I"m right there with ya honey! 
I'd say it sounds like your guy is definitely thinking about it.  But like one of the other gals said... try not to get your hopes up too much.  I know I'm trying not to (But I Know how hard it is just even knowing that that's actually a credible possibility).  I'd say, just try and occopy your mind with anything and everything that will keep you from thinking about it.  And that way the last few days before Christmas will pass faster and you'll find out (what seems) sooner... LOL

I wish you luck and I hope it's what you want, either way.

Posted: Dec 17, 2007 10:14 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

UPDATE:

OK Well I know it isn't my Christmas present. The package is HUGE... and I just know he wouldn't do that silly wrap it inside a box inside a box kind of thing, he'd definitely make it more interesting. I think it may be more around our "official" anniversary in Feb. I'll keep you informed if/when it really happens. We talked about rings again this weekend. So we'll see! Laughing

rubyred1 Posts : 968 Registered: 8/9/07
Posted: Dec 17, 2007 10:54 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I knew because we had discussed it, picked out the ring together, and I knew he had my diamond set and that he was just waiting to pop the question.  He took me to our favorite place and I just knew he was going to ask.  He's disappointed that I didn't scream and cry when he did.  About a year and a half before he proposed he bought my diamond for the ring.  I was like you, trying not to get my hopes up, but we waited so long that they weren't up anymore.
http://tac.families.com/ezb/1039358.png

Lovefest08 Posts : 34 Registered: 11/23/07
Posted: Dec 18, 2007 2:12 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Oh, that's hilarious! If you guys are talking about engagement/marriage/rings.. then I'm sure he'll do it soon! The only advice I can give is be patient, because I was totally NOT patient! We'd been together almost seven years and somehow I had it made up in my mind that he was NEVER going to propose. I totally began to lose hope and thought we were going to break up. Then, he proposed last year on the Tuesday before Xmas, and I almost ruined the whole thing!

TattooedStarlit Posts : 202 Registered: 12/18/07
Posted: Dec 30, 2007 6:42 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

It's very possible he will propose soon but don't think about it or get your hopes up because my FH and I had been talking about getting married, rings, buying a house together and even CHILDREN for a long time.  There were a few times I thoughthe'd pop the question (especially this past Thanksgiving because we were up in beautiful Maine) but he had never done it.  He didn't even ask me, he told me we were engaged after a conversation about getting married.

I'm sure he will propose soon (maybe when the ball drops) but don't get your hopes up just in the off chance he doesn't because the disapointment hurts...at least it hurt for me.  Plus, if your surprised, it makes the whole proposal sooooooo much nicer 

nmtgirl Posts : 142 Registered: 2/12/07
Posted: Mar 26, 2008 2:50 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

My friend went through the same thing! Her FH told her since August to except something shiny and expensive for the Christmas season!!! She was beside herself! Then in November I get a call that he popped the question because he had been trying to throw her off!!

I know I'm coming into this thread late but the big question is --- did he ever pop the question??????? 

Ashley and Paul - June 2010

mandyrose88 Posts : 4 Registered: 4/28/08
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 5:05 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

My guy flat out told me he was going to purpose to me within a year or so (when Im done with schooling). He said he would wait unless I gave him a sign I wanted it sooner. He is oh so sweet :) he told me he can not wait for the day when he gets to kneel in front of me.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine