promise rings

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 34

KPM Posts : 577 Registered: 1/20/08
Re: promise rings
Posted: Mar 24, 2008 9:54 AM Go to message in response to: nmtgirl

FH wanted to get me something to symbolize between us the commitment we had made until we did an official engagement after he asked me to spend the rest of our lives together.  We picked out a ring that I wear on my right hand and will continue to wear after I recieve my engagement ring.

We just recieved the rings that we had custom designed.  Now I am waiting on the official 'popping the question'.  The ring is BEAUTIFUL!  Saw it for the first time this weekend.  Since we both have been married before he wants to do this right.  I am now waiting patiently............ 

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cheesecake in one hand, rum in the other, body totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!

Love2u Posts : 1,661 Registered: 10/24/07
Posted: Mar 24, 2008 9:58 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

My FH gave me a beautiful celtic promise ring about a year before he formally proposed on one knee with the e-ring.  I wore it on my left ring finger where the e-ring would go.  Once he gave me the e-ring, I switched it to my right ring finger.
Love2uKiss

JAllen Posts : 793 Registered: 9/1/06
Posted: Mar 24, 2008 1:02 PM Go to message in response to: Love2u

My ex hubby gave me a promise ring when I was 13, our first Christmas together. It was a .25caret on a thin gold band.  I had that forever, and it ended up being the ering that I wore with my thin gold band wedding ring someone gave me.  He never bothered to buy me a wedding set.  Its funny because I was just going through an old jewlery box this weekend and ran acrossed it.  It was so dirty! lol  I guess I never bothered to keep it clean, since I couldn't stand the person who had given it to me!  I cleaned it, and put it back. I plan to give it to my daughter when she gets old enough. 

http://mywedding.com/vanceandjammie/

tnichelle1485 Posts : 119 Registered: 2/28/08
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 7:25 PM Go to message in response to: carebearny1999

My FH and I are doing the promise ring thing...personally I wasn't too fond of it at first, but we're both young (I'm 23 and he's 22)...and his parents went thru a pretty rocky divorce so he wants to take things slow...and I respect that. Also, the FH wants to graduate college (May 08) and get situated into a job before the wedding...I graduated a year earlier. So, the plus side is...I'll get 3 rings lol...but I love the ring I'm getting...so that may double as my engagement ring...maybe we'll get it engraved or do something special with that extra money. Anyway, I didn't like the idea at first...I felt like he was saying "I dunno if this is really what I wanna do...so here's a ring so I have a yr to think about it" but that is not the case at all...and I'm very happy about the what we've decided.

I'm a very lucky lady and I can't wait to become his wife:*)

On May 15, 2010, I will marry my one and only

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Posted: Mar 27, 2008 7:34 PM Go to message in response to: tnichelle1485

My DH asked if he could buy me a "friendship ring" after we'd been dating for a couple of months.  We were both widowed and felt it was too soon after the deaths of our spouses to announce our engagement, but we decided early on that we were serious about each other and wanted a one-on-one commitment.  He didn't know which finger I would wear the ring on, as I was still wearing the wedding ring of my late husband.  When we went to order the friendship ring I had the jeweler measure my "wedding ring" finger.  Later my DH (then-boyfriend, almost-FH) said he was suprised and pleased that I was taking it so seriously. 

We waited another 7 months before he gave me my E-ring, though we had already met with the priest and set the wedding date by then.

I love the friendship ring, but it doesn't fit on my right hand, so I keep meaning to have it re-sized but haven't gotten around to it.

"When Women Vote, We All Win!"

EveT

DutchBride Posts : 118 Registered: 3/11/08
Posted: Apr 1, 2008 5:54 PM Go to message in response to: carebearny1999

We didn't really do a "promise ring" officially or anything.  On our one year anniversary we did get each other an expensive piece of jewelry symbolizing our commitment, though.  I did get a ring for my right hand ring finger, but bought him a bracelet.  We both still wear the jewelry til this day and we've been together for over 5 years now!

* Marijke *

I read once that the ancient Egyptians had fifty words for sand & that the Eskimos has a hundred words for snow. I wish I had a thousand words for love, but all that comes to mind is the way you move against me when you sleep & there are no words for that -Brian Andreas

Guidosgirl Posts : 14 Registered: 3/6/08
Posted: Apr 3, 2008 6:26 PM Go to message in response to: DutchBride

My FH bought me a promise ring a few months after we started dating because we both knew we were the one and wanted to show that. Since I was only 18 and he was 20 we went the promise ring route instead of the engagement ring route. He hasn't proposed "officially" yet, but we've already started planning the wedding and both families know we are getting married. As his grandma said, "My grandson isn't one to run around. If he didn't intend to marry you and if he didn't love you, he wouldn't have stuck around so long." I get my e-ring in a few months and have switched my promise ring to my right hand in anticipation!

hisgirl14 Posts : 20 Registered: 12/31/07
Posted: Apr 7, 2008 10:07 AM Go to message in response to: Guidosgirl

my FH and I have known from pretty much day one that God has brought us together....and we get the be careful speech on a regular basis because some people think that we are rushing it... any way.. on our 1 month anniversary i bought us both rings (yes i know that is backwards)... on the outside it looks like a sort of puzzle and that comes together at a cross and on the inside  "God for me provided thee"  is engraved...we both wear them on our right hands...we would wear them on our left hands but i wear an abstinence ring there and his ring is 1/2 a size to small for his left hand... the rings arent nec. a promise to the fact that we will eventually be married (though we will) but as a promise to each other and to God that we will keep him first and let him lead because we have both messed up in the past and we dont want to repeat those mistakes....

we have been talking lately though and we want to get engaged soon. the only thing that is really stopping us is that my dad will not say yes yet. i met my FH at school 4 hours away from home and my dad will not say yes because of 2 reasons. 1) he says he doesnt know him well enough and 2 because we have only been going out for 6 months 

when i do get my e-ring i plan on moving my abstinence ring to my right hand and wearing the other ring on a chain around my neck. i cant wait! 

Breeze4 Posts : 24 Registered: 3/27/08
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 4:24 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

My FH gave me one for my 17th birthday. That summer I lost my purity (abstinence) ring on vacation. He started hinting before my birthday that my finger looked empty and he'd have to fix that.

We wanted to get engaged but were too young, (still are in some people's mind's)  so he opted for the promise ring for the time being. To us it's a promise we'll wait for eachother, to pledge his love, and to stay pure.

It was also helpful to hint to my family that we're planning on getting married. My grandmother's cried, my sister's screamed and giggled,  and it opened up for my parents and I to talk.  So that was helpful.  Break them in for the real thing ;)

stargazer9 Posts : 448 Registered: 12/20/06
Posted: Apr 14, 2008 4:36 PM Go to message in response to: Breeze4

DH and I had known of each other for over half our lives and I was friends with his sister since we were kids.  When his mom passed away when he was a kid his dad gave him his wedding band and his sister their mother's ring.  We ourselves became friends only when we were about to finish school.  Then after we had become really really good friends a few months later we started dating.  Shortly after we started officially dating (others thought we were for a couple months before that because we were such good friends) he asked me "to hang on to this ring for him"  Since we were such good friends I knew who's ring it had been and didn't feel qualified to wear it but he insisted and it became our promise ring.  A month later he got me my actual engagement ring.  When I asked why he gave such an important ring to me early in our dating relationship he said that he had known before we started dating that I was the one.  He's such a sweetheart (:

SammiAnn Posts : 114 Registered: 3/4/08
Posted: Apr 14, 2008 4:55 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I got a promise ring on our first Christmas together (ten months after dating).  Like some other posters, I was 17 and he was 18...we knew that we loved each other and had talked marriage, but I still had college to go through and we thought that it would be wise to see what that held for us.  I got my engagement ring two years later.  And we have now been engaged for almost two years.  When I got the engagement ring, I moved the promise ring to my right hand.  When we started shopping for wedding bands, I couldn't find one that I liked.  One day, I slipped my promise ring on with my engagement ring.  They were perfect together....so we got my promise ring cleaned and I'm using it as my wedding band.  We're gonna try to figure out how to incorporate it into the wedding, letting others know that the promise we made to each other almost four years ago still stands strong in our hearts...or something like that!
June 7, 2008...here I come!

MrsA2B Posts : 30 Registered: 4/10/08
Posted: Apr 21, 2008 12:24 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

My fiance and I are over 30, so I wouldnt see the point in a promise ring before the engagement ring.  I think the PR is typical of young couples <25 who dont yet have the finances to get engaged.

CyndixRichie Posts : 70 Registered: 10/22/07
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 4:00 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I only have a promise ring, my FH and I have known each other for about 5 years but never dated. Once we were both single at the same time I gave him a chance and we fell in love quickly. We were together only a couple months when one night he said I want to spend the rest of my life with you and I said I wanted to too. That was it. We talked about promise rings and I said it didn't mean as much to me personally (I had a promise ring before, I found out later i was supposed to be an engagement whole 'nother story) unless we both had them. I wanted him to know my commitment to him too. Actually we were at a business get together and he had said about a couple who own a jewelry store that that's were my ring would come from. He surprised me before a friends wedding with a cute promise ring that I love and I got him one that came in finally around christmas time. Jokingly he has said (promise rings) "it's like buying the milk but not the whole cow" or calls it a "hold tag" I feel a little guilty about it but I'm still waiting for the e-ring.... We are planning our wedding (very seriously lately) for October of 2009 or 2010 if money doesn't work. I guess I'm still waiting for that little extra commitment (probably because I broke off a promise before...) Am I totally selfish? 

Ok now that I've thought about this more I don't think it's the extra commitment I'm thinking about. It just seems like I missed that excitement. We just started talking about being married and that was it, we are. I love him and am completely excited to marry him. Its like I didn't get to say I'm engaged now or call anyone and say I'm getting married. and get congratulations? when it happening? How'd he propose? let me see the ring? etc. So maybe I am being selfish and I probably will get a ring sometime. Or maybe we'll just make that into the wedding ring. I love him and we're spending the rest of our lives together (LIKE IT OR NOT! Neither of us believe in divorce, we'll just have to be roommates :):):):)

"Reach out and open the door that no one thought could be opened. Life is behind it! We don't have an eternity to realize our dreams only the time we are here. If you risk nothing then you risk everything"
Message was edited by: CyndiXDick

null

FutureMrsCalabr... Posts : 8 Registered: 4/18/08
Posted: May 1, 2008 12:01 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I got my promise ring about 2 years into our relationship and since we are still in college he wants to wait to "officially" ask me to marry him so I wear my promise ring as my engagement ring right now because we are planning some small stuff for our wedding about 3 years from now. So I think that its okay to get a promise ring if you are not able to get an engagement ring or dont have the money to get married at that time.

~Becca

JessicaLynn11 Posts : 11 Registered: 4/16/08
Posted: May 19, 2008 2:46 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsCalabr...

Post deleted.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine