Money Tree-Money Dance

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 18

seadreamer Posts : 522 Registered: 6/8/07
Money Tree-Money Dance
Posted: Nov 13, 2007 11:22 AM

I was wondering how many people out there are having a money dance during the reception?  I am trying to distinguish the difference of the money tree thing and the money dance for my sister who is getting married on Saturday.

Who had a money dance or who had a money tree and did any of your guests think it was in bad taste?

MaunaLaniBride Posts : 631 Registered: 3/31/06
Re: Money Tree-Money Dance
Posted: Nov 13, 2007 11:37 AM Go to message in response to: seadreamer

We did a money dance since it was a cultural tradition of my hubby's (he's half Filipino).  I was worried about it at first but we only did one song and it turned out to be really fun.  There's pics in the link to my Knot married bio below of our money dance with a description of how we did ours.

Personally, I probably wouldn't be offended if someone did a dollar dance if it was not for a cultural tradition but many people think it's tacky.  With that said, if my husband didn't have a cultural tradition of doing this dance, I would not have done it at my wedding.

I've never heard of a money tree but that sounds like a totally blatant money grab.  That would probably turn me off.

Knot planning bio:  http://tinyurl.com/2od5dr

Knot married bio: http://tinyurl.com/2zatxp

BriansBride2008 Posts : 814 Registered: 3/26/07
Posted: Nov 13, 2007 11:56 AM Go to message in response to: seadreamer

I am not having either at my wedding..  FH and I went to a wedding this past summer that had the tree and as a guest.. I thought it was tacky...  It seems money grubbing..  Your guests are guests, if they want to give you money they will in a card of congratulations....  It's just my opinion but I would tell her not to do it.  A wedding is not a place for raising money, its a place for celebrating love.  Again Just my opinion...

BB2008 

AUGUST 16, 2008 

I AM GETTING TO MARRY MY BEST FRIEND!!! YEAH!!!

Pamlin Posts : 958 Registered: 10/26/06
Posted: Nov 13, 2007 11:58 AM Go to message in response to: seadreamer

Unless it's a cultural thing, a money tree is in very bad taste.

My mom's family (central PA) has done dollar dances at weddings, but since I live in MA (land of "we don't talk about money") it was immediately nixed (to my mother's unending annoyance and my utter relief.)  My personal opinion is that people spend enough money to come, dress up and bring a gift, shaking an invited guest down for additional money seems a bit rude.

Hope this helps.

Pamlin

The wedding will be lovely, but it's the next day and every day after that makes me truly excited.

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Nov 13, 2007 12:01 PM Go to message in response to: seadreamer

my MIL mentioned something about the money dance the week of the wedding so I asked my DJ about it.  He would arrange the whole thing for us, and when he described it I just wasnt feeling it.  For someone else's wedding I'm sure it's a good time. I would prefer that over this money tree thing (which I am unsure of what it is but it  sounds way more boring than a money DANCE!) In my IL's family the person pays a dollar or whatever, and danced w/ the bride (or groom) and then does a jello shot, or some sort of shot. Fun, again not for me as the bride, I'd def be in if I was the guest though!
Daisypath Ticker

MrsDupont Posts : 1,574 Registered: 4/14/06
Posted: Nov 13, 2007 12:08 PM Go to message in response to: seadreamer

I'm not doing the money dance or i've never heard of the Money tree.... 

In Labenese  Tradition... it is custom for people to shower the bride and groom with money... as they dance its just raining money and then after the dancing kids run on the floor and collect all the money!  Its pretty funny!

I would love to have this tradition at my wedding but I'm marrying a cuban and his culture doesnt understand this tradition... and i will only a couple of cousins that would know about this so! 

No Money dance!  No Daddy daughter, No Mother son... No Bridal party dance....no dinner... just appetizers and dancing!  If you wanna bring money there will be a box for you to put an envelope but thats about it!

http://DarellandMariam.brides.com

seadreamer Posts : 522 Registered: 6/8/07
Posted: Nov 13, 2007 12:24 PM Go to message in response to: BriansBride2008

I completely agree that it is completely tacky to have the money dance or a money tree for that matter.  I was trying to explain to her that it is virtually the same thing, because she agrees that a money tree is very tacky and distasteful, but was considering doing the money dance.

I am trying to arm myself with good hard unwavering facts on how terribly tacky it would be to do the money dance.  So there really is no difference in the two, you are still asking your loved ones to fork over money on top of all the money they have already shelled out.  I can't believe the money thing is still done.

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Nov 13, 2007 1:13 PM Go to message in response to: seadreamer

Dear Seadreamer,

It's a cash shake-down no matter how you slice it. I think it's crass.

An acceptable variation would be for guest to write their best wishes or marital advice on provided slips of paper, then offer that to the happy couple as "payment" for a dance.

BrideChica Posts : 2,300 Registered: 12/25/06
Posted: Nov 13, 2007 2:36 PM Go to message in response to: seadreamer

In our culture, the male guests create a line to dance with the bride.  When its their turn to dance, they usually pin money to the bride.  Likewise for the groom.  We usually do this to fast paced salsa or merengue mix.  Everyone has fun and no one looks at it as if we (the couple) are being greedy.  The way we look at it, is that we are helping them get their life started.

LisaN Posts : 285 Registered: 6/13/07
Posted: Nov 13, 2007 3:38 PM Go to message in response to: seadreamer

I don't really know what the money tree or dollar dance actually contains but I get the general gist of it. An unless it's tradition or cultural, I wouldn't do it. It just seems very tacky.

I agree with a PP said about if they wanted to give you money, they would've in a card. Plus, they are already giving you gifts.

~Lisa

futuremrsperry Posts : 1,904 Registered: 4/23/06
Posted: Nov 13, 2007 5:07 PM Go to message in response to: seadreamer

Granted a Dollar Dance is a tradition in my family, we did not have one.  Much tot he dismay of many guests.  I personally do not like it.  Your guests already brought a card or gifts, traveled, paid for hotel rooms, why pump them for more money?  Plus it takes time away from dancing.  Honestly I don't know very many people who have cash on them anyway.

Message was edited by: futuremrsperry

PLysak Posts : 288 Registered: 7/8/07
Posted: Nov 13, 2007 5:21 PM Go to message in response to: seadreamer

Unless it's a cultural thing, don't do it.  We're catching a lot of hell for not doing it, but it's mostly from relatives who think it's a great way to get a lot of money from our guests.  I was appalled when they made the suggestion.

Another blatant money grab at weddings that I can't stand is when the couple decides to do a bridal shower + bachelor party + bachelorette party + jack-n-jill.  How many presents do you need anyway?  And then on top of it all, they charge ticket prices!  If I'm going to pay an entry fee, you'd better have an open bar and Matchbox 20 playing live!

Sorry, I've gotta stop.  That mini-b!tch fest came from no where...

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Nov 13, 2007 5:44 PM Go to message in response to: futuremrsperry

Ladies,

When I think of women dancing for money, I think of g-strings, not bridal gowns.

BrideChica Posts : 2,300 Registered: 12/25/06
Posted: Nov 13, 2007 6:04 PM Go to message in response to: PLysak

Well, how about the money dance that the Greeks do?  When I went to a Greek wedding and saw their money dance, not once did I think that they were being greedy.  It was an obvious tradition since everyone pulled out their wads of singles and started dancing and throwing money at the couple.  I was actually fascinated by the whole scene....not once did I think about the money or being greedy.

WeddingBelle08 Posts : 118 Registered: 7/31/07
Posted: Nov 13, 2007 11:51 PM Go to message in response to: seadreamer

I don't think it's tacky at all. I've been to two weddings that have had it, and it was FUN and cute. If you don't want to give $, dont dance. But from what I seen, the bride and the guests have a lot of fun and it's a way for the bride to dance with everyone. I'm thinking of doing it. Besides, it's not like you have to hand over a 20. It's $1--- dollar dance.
**On June 28, 2008... I'm tying the knot!!**

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine