All white wedding and bridesmaids dresses?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 12
All white wedding and bridesmaids dresses?
Posted: Nov 1, 2007 11:42 AM

I'm considering an all-white fall wedding. Meaning the tableclothes are going to be white, the chair covers, the flowers, the invitations, the cake. I just want it to be very simple, clean,elegant and classic. I have a hard time picking a color for the bridesmaids' dresses. I'm worried that since everyhting else is going to be white, no matter what color I choose, they are going to look "out of place". Any suggestions?
Dodolina

Pamlin Posts : 958 Registered: 10/26/06
Re: All white wedding and bridesmaids dresses?
Posted: Nov 1, 2007 11:51 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Personally, I say do what you want!

I will say that down the line a bit you might want to think about an accent color (navy, pink, coffee, etc.) to be used sparingly just because white on white on white may lose definition on film and washes everything out.  Using lots of different textures can help with this, as it will keep all the white from being "flat." 

As for the girls, if you do decide to do an accent color, you can dress them in that, with a white sash or something similar to tie it in together (one of my favorites I've seen was a midnight blue and white wedding where the girls were in blue with white ribbon wraps on their bouquets, and the bride had a blue ribbon wrap on her bouquet.  Subtle, but it tied everything together.)

Hope this helps!!

Pamlin

The wedding will be lovely, but it's the next day and every day after that makes me truly excited.

Message was edited by Pamlin on Nov 1, 2007 11:51 AM

Posted: Nov 1, 2007 2:41 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

textures will help for sure - so the bridesmaids can be in white too - but everything may get pretty washed out

you could choose a neutral like champagne or a light silver or even black - you will have to write on you invitations in some color - i'm guessing black?

Also, with flowers you will have a little green - you could use that for the bridesmaids.

they could have a dress that is 1/2 white 1/2 black

or have just a touch of a color

Message was edited by finallyMrsHoward on Nov 1, 2007 2:48 PM

BrideChica Posts : 2,300 Registered: 12/25/06
Posted: Nov 2, 2007 2:25 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

How about silver or platinum for the bms dresses?  You could also add it along your venue.  Silver will make the white pop out and it will keep the simple, clean, elegant, and classic look that you are going for.

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Nov 2, 2007 8:25 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I have seen an all-white bridal party (men in black) and it was stunning. I agree that black, silver or platinum would be a nice alternative/accent to the white. I might be fun to let the girls choose their own styles, while keeping to the same color, just to add variety. I have a couple of pictures of bridal parties in varied white or champagne dresses that I can send you.

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 3:27 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Thanks everyone! Great ideas. I like silver a lot. My only concern is that silver is more of a winter color. It seems a little cold for a fall wedding. Doesn't it?

Dodolina

MelissaJuneBrid... Posts : 698 Registered: 3/13/07
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 3:47 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I think silver would still be very pretty in fall. I agree, the all white would be very elegant and timeless, but it may look a little flat or washed out like others have said. What about using a fall color for the girls dresses...like a plum color and using a white sash around the waist. Then you could just sprinkle color very sparingly in other aspects of the wedding. Just enough to add some depth. I still think everything will look very clean.

Also consider this....the ladies at my bridal salon told me that not everyone looks good in white. Some women just can't wear it b/c it washes them out. Consider that too. You don't want any of your BMs feeling washed out. Just a thought...

MelissaSmile

Mrslinnben Posts : 2,285 Registered: 6/4/07
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 4:25 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

White on White was my sisters theme back in the early 90's!  we wore a white tea lenght (think puffy) the bodice was was taffetta (?sp with a lace overlay) and then the taffetta gown and a great big fat fuschia bow on the left hip!

Good luck, happy planning & happy wedding day

AlohaAroha Posts : 686 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Nov 6, 2007 12:51 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I think an all white wedding with white bridesmaid dresses would look gorgeous.  Maybe you could include a little colour in the bouquets and keep the dresses all white?  That would look much less out of place then having coloured dresses with everything else white.

A halfway decent photographer should have no problem keeping your pictures from being washed out.  It's actually easier to take pictures of a group of people all in white than a group of people with some in white and some in dark rich colours.  If you have both darks and whites the camera has to compensate for exposures at both ends of the spectrum.

White does look bad on some people, but then so does any colour (I look hideous in most blues, but great in most greens - go figure!).  What do your bridesmaids think about what colour there dresses should be?

One question: what are your groomsmen wearing?  Black tuxedos would look very distinguished, but grey would also look very elegant and special.

MasterFlorist Posts : 222 Registered: 11/30/07
Posted: Nov 30, 2007 5:09 PM Go to message in response to: Mrslinnben

Simple solution.  Instead of doing all stark white use different shades of white.  This way your wedding doesn't become cold.  Have the BM wear an off white cream color.  The GM can wear black with all white ties or wear their ties to match the dresses.  Have the bouquets made with white, off whites, creams, and peaches.  White orchids mixed with peach or cream roses and stephannotis will look spectacular.  You might want to add a hint of green hydrangrea to add some life.

I encourage you to visit www.prestonbailey.com for inspiration.  He is my favorite designer and recently orchestered Donald Trumps wedding....in all white.

Regards, 

Niels Bonnevie

STEMS Event Florist

Type "Stems event Florist" in your browser for my gallery.

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Nov 30, 2007 11:34 PM Go to message in response to: MasterFlorist

I have to respectfully disagree with MasterFlorist. If you chose different shades of white, the 'whiter' whites will end up looking dirty next to the creamier whites. 

Personally, I like the idea of silver. I don't think it's too cold for fall at all, though gold and copper tones might be a more 'autumny' fall combination. I also think black and white are very elegant together, but as an artist, I STRONGLY advise against white-on-white. Perhaps it is different with flowers, so MasterFlorist has different ideas than I do, but contrast=good was one of the first concepts that I was taught in art school. Different shades of white are NOT enough contrast, in my opinion, but you should ask your photographer for his/her opinion, particularly if you want to shoot anything in black and white or sepia tones. I really don't think white-on-off white would look good AT ALL.  

DaisypathWedding Ticker

MasterFlorist Posts : 222 Registered: 11/30/07
Posted: Dec 1, 2007 11:00 AM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Well I guess its up to the bride! You are right, contrast is good.  That is exactly what the off-white, white, and hints of green with peach will do.  Anything darker will appear very dark next to the white if pictures are taken in black and white.  The goal here is to keep her theme or idea of a "white" wedding.  Adding any other color will not achieve this but rather will transform it into white and "whatever color you chose".  See below for bridesmaid dresses and bouquets with the colors I had in mind.

Niels Bonnevíe

STEMS Event Florist

Type "Stems event Florist" in your browser for my gallery.

MelissaJuneBrid... Posts : 698 Registered: 3/13/07
Posted: Dec 3, 2007 3:15 PM Go to message in response to: MasterFlorist

First of all I'd just like to comment that those above pics are gorgeous!!

I know what you mean by the different "shades" of white. I love the idea of it for flowers and decor, but in my opinion I don't think it works for the dresses. When I worked at a bridal salon, whenever I saw the creamy colored dresses along side the white wedding dress, the BM dresses always seemed to have a "dirty" look to it. NOT that they were, but next to such a clean white, it gave that feeling.

MelissaSmile

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine