Accent colors/Flowers for navy dresses

Online Users: 1,298 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10

daybug Posts : 159 Registered: 10/7/07
Accent colors/Flowers for navy dresses
Posted: Oct 29, 2007 11:54 AM

OK..my dress is ivory and I've chosen navy as my BM dress color for our June outdoor wedding but I just can't decide on what accent color or what color flowers to have. I DO NOT want blue flowers. I thought maybe deep red as an accent (i know, I know, red, white and blue) and use red roses. I've also thought of pale pink as an accent and using peonies? HELP!! I need suggestions! 

ebrown1 Posts : 63 Registered: 4/4/07
Re: Accent colors/Flowers for navy dresses
Posted: Oct 29, 2007 12:21 PM Go to message in response to: daybug

I don't really have any answers about accent colors, but I was also thinking about navy for my bm dresses but I am afraid it will clash with black tuxes?  How are you handling this?  Are the guys wearing any sort of navy with the tux?  

I was thinking about trying to do maybe silver as an accent color, although I guess that doesn't really help with flowers.  I think red would be really pretty and classic. 

Posted: Oct 29, 2007 12:22 PM Go to message in response to: daybug

personally i'm not crazy about red white and blue - but they do go well and you could make it work!

i think the pink would look great and so would soft yellow and ivory

To match the ocean blue color palette, Alexis’ three attendants wore silk, floral-print halter dresses with sweetheart necklines by Betsey Johnson. They were fitted with a tie at the waist.

Jennifer’s mother created steel blue fur stoles for each of the five bridesmaids, which perfectly complemented their dark blue strapless dresses by Impressions.

Sara‘s bridesmaids wore custom-made strapless dresses in navy with off-white silk sashes at the waist.Inger‘s bridesmaids wore blue dresses from Ann Taylor.

hulabride08 Posts : 270 Registered: 10/22/07
Posted: Oct 29, 2007 12:50 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I once saw your same colors-and the bride used yellow as an accent, using sunflowers as a flower choice!  It was gorgeous!

Can't wait til my Honey Pot is my Husband!!!

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Oct 29, 2007 2:22 PM Go to message in response to: daybug

I have lots of pictures of navy with various accents, including one of guys in black tuxes with navy accessories--just contact me through my website and I'll send them right out. Yellow, pink, red to burgundy, lavender to purple, whites and creams, lime green--all are lovely with navy. For metals, crystals, silver and pewter work well.

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

daybug Posts : 159 Registered: 10/7/07
Posted: Oct 29, 2007 2:29 PM Go to message in response to: ebrown1

I am still doing black tuxes. My fiancee will have an ivory vest, I think the dads will have silver/grey vests and the groomsmen will have dark blue/navy vests. I was worried about the whole black/navy thing clashing, too, but it actually looks really nice with the ivory shirt underneath....at least in some magazine/online pictures I've seen so far.

MelissaJuneBrid... Posts : 698 Registered: 3/13/07
Posted: Oct 29, 2007 5:41 PM Go to message in response to: daybug

What about shades of pink as an accent? You could still use roses and it would brighten up the dresses. I think you could find a lot of really pretty ideas for navy and pink.

MelissaSmile

sandraxtna Posts : 86 Registered: 8/26/07
Posted: Oct 29, 2007 5:57 PM Go to message in response to: MelissaJuneBrid...

I think orange is a great accent color for blue! Very summery, too

ambiesmom Posts : 101 Registered: 6/17/07
Posted: Oct 30, 2007 2:39 AM Go to message in response to: daybug

I think that red roses would be nice. My daughter's wedding is in Feb and her BM's dresses are navy with a wide silver sash. The GM's tuxes are black with silver tie and vest. She has some red on her dress and the FH will have a black tux with a red tie and vest. She didn't want too much red other than herself and FH becuz of the red, white and blue issue. But as time goes on we are adding more red. We just say her colors are "claret, navy and silver". OK that really translates to red, white and blue but she has decided that it is ok! What's kinda funny is that my birthday is July 4th and my whole kitchen and eating area are patriotic themed, which of course all my family and some friends know, but I had nothing to do with the colors. Good Luck!
The Bride's Mom

MrsBranch Posts : 97 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Oct 30, 2007 10:25 PM Go to message in response to: daybug

I agree with Sandra.  I think orange is a good choice.

eek Posts : 394 Registered: 7/2/07
Posted: Oct 30, 2007 10:52 PM Go to message in response to: daybug

I think bright, strong colors would stand out against the dark navy, like the green, yellow or orange.

Our original colors were Navy, Yellow and Celedon/Apple Green with white accents. I was going to use Navy BM dresses with either yellow or apple green flowers (either yellow Cala Lilies or green Cymbidium Orchids) and mix them with white flowers. 

(We've since changed our colors though, but I still love how the yellow and green stood out against the navy). 

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine