Any 30+ Brides Out There?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 411

MuffinB Posts : 778 Registered: 7/13/07
Re: Any 30+ Brides Out There?
Posted: Nov 21, 2007 10:39 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Yay! Welcome new 30+ brides!!

Geez, I've been sooo busy this past week...but it's Thanksgiving, ladies and I'm so looking forward to the next four days!!

Mizhines- your e-pictures are sooo nice!  I love them. All I was thinking as I was looking through them was "ohh how romantic"....you two look so good together and you're going to look amazing on your wedding day.

Thanks for the compliment on my ring. I absolutely love it! I can't help but to stare at it sometimes and I've had it for almost a year already. I love how much it sparkles ; ) You're right, it doesn't get any classier than that : )

Newfiebride: you having the same ring as ours just goes to show what a beautiful ring it is....so show it off, girl : )

I think we're going to end up going on a "mini-moon" too! hahha.. "mini-moon" - love it. We both love Vegas so we may just end up there for a few days after the wedding....

So, we decided where we're having our wedding!!!

the ceremony will be at the glass chapel and the reception at the Long Beach Hyatt....we're going to put deposits down after the holidays....I'm so excited : )

http://www.wayfarerschapel.org/services/serv_wed.html

http://longbeach.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/events/weddings/offers.jsp

Have a very Happy Thanksgiving, enjoy that turkey, stuffing, pie, mashed potatoes...yummy!!

mizhines Posts : 271 Registered: 7/31/07
Posted: Nov 26, 2007 1:44 PM Go to message in response to: MuffinB

Hi Muffin!

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving-- ours was good, it's just always hard to be back at work after being gone for a few day LOL.

The Glass Chapel is absolutely AMAZING-- what a stunning place to have your ceremony!  Your hotel is also great-- what a location to get married and have your reception-- you're going to have a wonderful time!  And congrats on getting to check your ceremony/reception off the list (it's a big relief and so much fun to really be able to picture how your wedding day's going to go!).  Good for you for going on a "mini-moon"-- I think that FH and I will try and do something like that, since we're not having a traditional honeymoon (we're going to Ireland to visit friends that can't come to the States for the wedding, etc.)

Speaking of Ireland, I'm heading there on Thursday (FH's nephew is being baptized on Sunday), so I need to get back to work so I'm not stressing all weekend!!

Hope everyone's having a good Monday!
Leigh

"Make me a bicycle, clown!" - Wedding Crashers

Posted: Nov 27, 2007 3:31 PM Go to message in response to: mizhines

Hi : )

Thanksgiving was really nice. I usually stay home with my family and everyone comes over but this year, my grandmother went to my uncle's house (7 hour drive), my older sister and my two nephews decided to go to Glamis for the weekend (they love dirt bikes and quads), my younger sister decided to go to her boyfriend's house...so pretty much, my whole family went their own ways this year which made me a little sad..

But, I ended up going to my FH's house for dinner which worked out really well. We helped his mom cook all day and one of his brothers (he has two), his brother's wife and baby came over. So it was a small group of us (I'm used to having 20+ people over) but we had a blast and dinner was delicious. His mom was very happy I was there since I haven't been able to leave my family during the holidays the whole time me and FH have been together. I'm very close to my family so not spending the holidays with them is very hard for me to do. It's going to be tough once we're married and living together to coordinate the holidays (yikes!!)

So, yes..I'm very excited about having the ceremony at the glass chapel. It's even more beautiful in person---it's on a cliff that overlooks the Palos Verdes coastline. Donald Trump's golf course is just down the highway, about two minutes away. Not that I am a big fan of his but still.....

Ireland- how fun! I wish I could just pack up and go to Ireland, I'm jealous (in a good way)....if I don't "see" you before Thursday- have a great time in Ireland!!

Where's everyone else? Christmas shopping? Oh yea, I have to do that too!!!

ChristyEason Posts : 443 Registered: 11/6/07
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 11:55 AM Go to message in response to: MuffinB

Wow! Muffin, what a beautiful place for the ceremony and romantic.  I want to see pics after the wedding.

Christmas!  Our plans are on hold for the holidays,  we were going to go to Florida, but that is not going to work out.  FH and my uncle were wanting to plan a hunting trip, but maybe next year.  I am so glad that my family likes him, that is really important to me.  My favorite uncle is this really big biker looking dude that scares the pants off most men.  He came down last summer to get my grandmother and move her to Florida and he and FH hit it off really good.  They both work shut-downs in chemical plants, hunt and have so much in common.  My uncle only got obnoxious with him once and that was to tell him that if he hurt me or my daughter he can bet that he would have to face him.  My uncle really likes him.

I got off the Christmas subject.  We had this 3.5' christmas tree last year and we started to put it up, but it was too little.  It would get lost in my big living room with 9' ceiling.  So we thought about getting a real tree this year, but we couldn't find one that we wanted, so we bought a 7' artificial tree.  Fh doesn't get into the decorating so me and the kids put it up and decorated it Sunday.  It is so pritty.  I haven't taken pictures of it yet.  I am trying to get FH to stand in front of it with me for a picture.  I would love to post it.

So far the only shopping we have done for Christmas is for the 3 kids at home.  We have already spent $450 total on them and they only have 4 gifts each.  2 mp3 players for the boys, tomagatchies for all three of them,  big remote control trucks for the boys, 3 scooters ( forgot what they are really called), a computer type thing for the girl to help her with her reading,  another educational product for the girl with reading games ( she is really having difficulty with reading).  And I still want to get them more toys, clothes, shoes, and a swingset to put in our fenced in back yard.  I am sending my two sons that live in Florida money, I usually send them a wal-mart gift card but they want money this year.  They are 16 and 18 and both want a car.  They already have some money saved for it, but not enough yet.  FH said that if they don't have one before the wedding then he will see about helping them find one where he can go with them.  He wants to check them out so we won't have to worry about them driving.  Especially with Marcus going to college next fall.  He really needs a dependable vehicle.

Ok off  the subject again.  I am sitting here at the house, with a cold and all alone and no one to talk to so you all got my rattleing. I need to find that post again where someone was nice enough to put all the details of how to post stuff, like pics and other important info about this site.  I lost it.  When I first read it I was kind of doing laundry and things around the house and said to myself I'll come back to this and figure this out later and didn't add it to my already mile long watch list.

And no I don't expect you to read all my rattling.

Christy

NewfieBride2008 Posts : 242 Registered: 1/1/07
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 12:57 PM Go to message in response to: ChristyEason

Hello ladies!!!

Leigh, I envy you.  I love IRELAND so much I wish I could pop over a few times a year.  I am lucky though, my FH's parents are coming over for the holidyas and I LOVE them, so that will be a touch of Ireland for Christmas.  Hopefully we'll be able to get back over there soon when everything settles down!  Have a GREAT time and don't forget your rain jacket = )  Do you ever get into Dublin when you go?  If you do, say 'hello' to Molly for me (wink)

MuffinB - Gorgeous place, the photographs will be amazing!  I am so happy for you that you booked, one less thing on the list!  Do you have (or does anyone have) a wedding planning book they are using?  I am using the 'Anti-Bride Wedding planner' and I must say its fabulous!  It has places for notes, advice, pictures etc...its great!

FH and I went down to Treasure Island for Thanksgiving, it was gorgeous!  We walked for miles on the beach, ate, drank, swam and just had a great time!  Sounds like you had fun too.  It will be hard for you all to decide who goes where during the holidays, but you will sort it all out!

I have not been Christmas shopping yet, we are not really doing gifts this year as we are trying to put $ into our wedding account.  We'll get a few things, but nothing huge!

Wow, Christy, you have been a busy little elf, sounds great!

How is everyones planning?  I am a little frustrated right now because we are down a groomsman and others like to come out of the wood work and 'advise' but c'est la vie....tis life.  I won't let anyone ruin my planning = )

http://www.TickerFactory.com

Posted: Nov 28, 2007 2:06 PM Go to message in response to: NewfieBride2008

not busy enough, I hate last minute shopping.  And I am not near done yet.

I have a story I want to share.  FH's ex-girlfriend works at my daughters school and everytime I go there she comes up to me like we are best friends.  I am never nice to her and try to avoid her.  Anyway, I had an appointment with my daughters teacher the week before Thanksgiving and here comes Dee beboping up to me and says, "Hey girl, what have you been up to?"  I replied,
"planning a wedding."  She said, "Oh really, whose getting married?"  I looked at her and smile and said, "Me and Jimmy this summer."  The look on her face was so funny I about laughed right there.  She said, "Wow, I thought he would never settle down."  Then she took off and didn't bother me anymore while I was there that day.  Well, yesterday I over slept and the kids missed the bus and I drove them to school.  Well, when I got to my daughters school, there she was, she didn't say anything to me and kept on going.  I think it is so funny.  I told FH about it and he thought it was funny too.  She is always trying to butt into our business and trys to interfere with his son's.   I had to tell her off about one of the boys one day last year when he was signing up for 6th grade classes and I sent the form with him all he had to do was hand it to the person taking them and go on to class, we didn't have to be there.  I filled out the paper for him and signed Chrisy Eason, my soon to be married name.  Anyway she went with her daughter and when she saw Daniel she took his paper and tried to sign him up herself telling them that she was his mother.  When they saw my name down as his mother they told her that she couldn't sign him up.  She also took Daniel's girlfriends (whose parents are good friends of ours and tried to pass her off as hers also.)  When she found out that the school wasn't going to let her do it, she called Jimmy and told him that he had to go to the school and sign Daniel up for 6th grade.  Well, he was at work and called me and I went up there.  She handed me the paper and said that a parent had to be with the children so she tried to do it for us and told them that she was the aunt.  I took the papers of both kids and got in line with all the rest.  When the principal saw me he came right up to me and told me  how she was claiming both of the children as her son and daughter and was trying to sign them up for their classes and that he told her that she could not do that and that since I filled out Daniels form and Sabrina's mom filled out hers the recruiter knew that she wasn't their mother.  Also, by us signing the forms we didn't have to be there.  I called her up and chewed her a** out and told her that Jimmy and the boys were none of her business any more and she needed to butt out before I beat the sh*t out of her.  Sabrina's mom said that she wished she had got there before I did because she would have stomped her a**.  She really had no business messing with Sabrina.  And since she has not been with Jimmy in 5 years she really had no business messing with Daniel either.  By the way she is married.  It seems like she would leave us alone.  The only reason Jimmy doesn't change his cell number is because of companies he works shut-downs for calls him on that number.  In small towns like this one you can't help running into ex's unfortuneately.  Maybe, now that she knows we are getting married, she'll stay out of our business.

Christy

Posted: Nov 29, 2007 1:50 AM Go to message in response to: NewfieBride2008

Hi Newfie- sounds like you had a great Thanksgivng too...beaches, drinking, eating and swimming are right up there on my list of favorite things : )

Sorry to hear about your groomsman, but you will see that it will all work out in the end, Yes, people always want to butt in and tell you what you should / shouldn't do...blah, blah, blah...let go in one ear and out the other because what really matters is what you want! I'm in the very early stages of planning so I haven't gotten too much of that but I'll get it, I know I will (sigh).

I'm using a really cool wedding planner called "Tying the Knot-the complete wedding organizer" it's a three ring binder with all sorts of neat organizing tools and extra plastic page pockets so you can add whatever else you need in there....I also have a live, flesh and bone wedding planner (LOL) yea, she's my best friend's sister who is starting her own wedding planning business, so I guess she doesn't really count as an official wedding planner but I like the sound of "My wedding planner will be contacting you....." hahaha...I'm dumb, I know.

Since my wedding isn't until 2009, I hope you're all sticking around after your weddings so I can share my wedding pictures and I also can't wait to see all of yours.

Haven't started Christmas shopping yet but like you, this year's christmas budget for gifts is much lower : ( partly because we're saving for our wedding and also because we're going to my cousin's destination wedding in Guadalajara, Mexico in January so we're going to need $$ for that.

Christy- Wow, you've got a busy, hectic life! but you seem to be able to handle it all like a pro! good for you : )

mizhines Posts : 271 Registered: 7/31/07
Posted: Nov 29, 2007 11:16 AM Go to message in response to: NewfieBride2008

Hey everybody-- I'm off to the Emerald Isle until Tuesday, so have a great rest of your week and weekend!

Newfie, I'll be sure to raise a pint of Bulmer's in your honor at the pub this weekend!

Cheers,
Leigh
"Make me a bicycle, clown!" - Wedding Crashers

Posted: Nov 29, 2007 3:34 PM Go to message in response to: MuffinB

That is why I love staying at home.  At least I have a few hours to myself and it is alot easier to get things done when you are alone and don't have others in the way.  However, I love it when they all come home.

I am having a problem with one of the kids though. He is in the 6th grade and failing.  He claims he has no home work (which I know better) and doesn't bring home his progress report.  I went to his school today and got a copy of his progress report.  He has 3 F's 2 D's an A and a B.  The A is in PE and the B is in science.  He is a smart kid and the only reason he is failing is because he is not turning in his work (rather not doing his work).  What he does turn in he is getting A's and B's on.  He just has so many 0's on his progress report that is giving him his bad grades.  We just are at a loss on getting him to do his work  especially since we don't know what his assignments are.  Last year I was in constant contact with his teacher and knew what he had to do.  This year he has 6 teachers and I have no idea what his assignments are.  He does his homework when he knows I know, but since I don't then he doesn't do it.  I think I am going to have to have conferences with his teachers and maybe his counselor also.  His dad is gonna be pist when he gets home and sees this progress report.

As far as handling it like a pro.  It is more like pray, take a deep breath and count to 10 every 5 minutes.

Christy

odeakc Posts : 70 Registered: 11/7/07
Posted: Nov 30, 2007 7:01 PM Go to message in response to: NewfieBride2008

Newfiebride: I live in CA and we are getting marrried in WI where we grew up. It has been a challenge planning from the wedding from a different state!

Posted: Dec 4, 2007 6:41 AM Go to message in response to: odeakc

odeakc - do you still have family in WI that is helping you?  All of my family live in Florida and we live in Lousiana and the wedding is here.  I don't know how many are going to be able to come because of the distance.  We only have to money to fly my mom, dad and sons here, so everyone else is on their own if they want to come.  My grandma still has her home here so they all can stay between our house and grandma's.

Another problem with my family coming is grandma is a pack-rat. My uncle came and got her and took her to Fl last summer and she has been dying to get the family to bring her back to get the rest of her stuff, to which most of it is junk and she has no place to put that stuff.  No one wants to deal with that packed up house of junk and that is what she is gonna want while everyone is here for the wedding to get her house cleaned out and move it all to FL. The poor old lady doesn't want to get rid of anything.  She has been packing things away for 72 years and it is a mess.  Everyone wants to come to my wedding, but no one wants to mess with that house, and I don't blame them.  I don't know what anyone is going to do right now.

Christy

Posted: Dec 5, 2007 3:57 PM Go to message in response to: odeakc

Hi ladies!

odeakc- my hat goes off to you for planning your wedding out of state. I don't think I could pull that off, but then again, the internet has made things like that so much easier for us nowadays : ) where in CA are you? I'm in southern CA (LA area).  Are you going to be moving back to WI after the wedding?

Christy- you seem to always have your hands full and I admire your capability to handle it all : ) I'm sorry if I can't relate to you more. I feel like I'm the total opposite of you. I am a busy career woman that cannot imagine life without having to "go to work" everyday. My field is in law enforcement so it calls for a very "tough-guy" attitude sometimes, which I'm very good at (Katie, you can relate-I'm sure). I do not have any kids and I really don't know if I want any. I go back and forth between wanting very badly to have at least one child and not wanting anything to do with giving birth and raising kids. it's not because I don't like kids because I love, love love all the kids in my family and my friends' kids..it's just I get saddened when I watch the news and read the paper. Too much negativity going on in our country right now. Anyway, my point is that while I wish I could offer you more advice regarding the ex, the kids, school and homework...I don't know what to say, other than- do your thing, mama! LOL

So, how is planning coming along for everyone?

Posted: Dec 6, 2007 12:41 PM Go to message in response to: MuffinB

I used to work all the time, I am just glad that I don't have to now and am able to do the kid things, like scool, field trips, etc.  Most of my friends here are stay at home mom's also.  When and if you have children then you will understand the need a mother has to be there for all the childrens events.  They get grown before you know it and I don't want to miss a thing.

Anyway, back to wedding planning.  I have found my dress.  I was so stressed over that a few weeks ago and finally I found this site that has several that I liked and couldn't decide which one I wanted.  So last night I got FH to look at them and asked him which one he wanted to see me in.  He fell in love with the Alfred Angelo #oo17.  You can see this dress under www.wedingo.net .  I really liked this one too.  We haven't ordered it yet though because I have to find out what size and do my measurements.  They make the dresses to order, so when I order it it won't be here for about 2 months.  For ladies looking for inexspensive gowns that look great then go to this site.  Most of the dresses are under $200.oo and are very beautiful.  Even some of the dresses that are listed here and in Brides magazine are on that site.  You can also order assories and brides maids dresses there.  That is the next thing for me, finding the right brides maids dresses and flower girl dress.

Christy

odeakc Posts : 70 Registered: 11/7/07
Posted: Dec 6, 2007 7:20 PM Go to message in response to: MuffinB

MuffinB- to be honest, I was super stressed before I went home for Thanksgiving. I took that whole week off. I met with, caterer, tent rental company, photographers, etc. The only thing I need now is a florist. I am mailing out the checks this week for down payments. Oh and I had all my bridesmaids on a Sat to pick out dresses. And we were in and out in 45mins. All the girls loved one dress and so did I. Now, when I buy stuff for the wedding I have it shipped to my parents.

I live in SoCal too. LA area. We are not planning to move back after the wedding. Maybe in 5 or so years. We have been in CA for 1 1/2 years only. And I am LOVING it.

Love2u Posts : 1,661 Registered: 10/24/07
Posted: Dec 10, 2007 4:55 PM Go to message in response to: odeakc

I went to a bridal shower for one of my cousins who is 19 and getting married next month, and we were supposed to write a "recipe for success" for her.  I kept wanting to write "don't get married at 19."  But "she's ready".  She's a lovely young woman, he's a really nice man, but I see them together and think "there's a disaster in the making.  What a pity we won't see him around  anymore after they get their divorce."  I know they are excited to set up their apartment and start being independant adults, but I just can't imagine them making it in today's tough world.  Am I truly that cynical and jaded? 

Love2uKiss

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine