August 2008 Brides!!!

Online Users: 1,298 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 482

080808bride Posts : 151 Registered: 5/16/07
August 2008 Brides!!!
Posted: Oct 16, 2007 11:06 AM

Okay- I don't know if there is another one of these threads floating around, but I looked through and I couldn't find it! There are threads for all the other months in 2008 but August. It's time for us to unite and get pumped about our wedding that is coming in only 10 MONTHS!

I am not a big poster on the discussion boards, but I would love to have some support from other August brides...I tried to get involved in other posts but maybe I am just not fitting in :) So, I decided to start this thread.

A little background, we were engaged in April 2007, getting married 08-08-08, and I quickly planned the majority of my wedding during this past summer. This is my first year as a teacher so I am swamped every moment! I left the small details to plan this summer and have been slowly working on things one at a time. I feel like I still have SO MUCH to do! Ontop of that, FH and I are paying for 1/3 of our wedding (our parents are splitting the rest).

Are there any other August 2008 brides out there? What have you done so far? What are your dates? What is your latest drama?

Let's unite and support August 2008 brides out there!

Geo0327 Posts : 2 Registered: 2/21/07
Re: August 2008 Brides!!!
Posted: Oct 16, 2007 12:10 PM Go to message in response to: 080808bride

Hello there! I am a wedding coordinator in the DC area who is also getting married in August 08. I am getting married during Labor Day Weekend on Sunday, August 31st in Northern VA. My FH's family is coming from Cincinnati and we are havinga charter bus bring them down. Our ceremony and reception are in the same space. Our wedding has a lot of details an elements including 3 days of activities for our guests, so our planning is moving along slowly, but surelyLaughing

Posted: Oct 16, 2007 10:00 PM Go to message in response to: Geo0327

wow! 3 days of events! I can hardly handle planning one day! Where are you going on your honeymoon? My FH is planning the honeymoon as a surprise. I am so excited, nervous, anxious....all in one. I don't know if I can wait 10 months to find out. 

and a whole charter bus! he must have a HUGE family :) 

DAS824 Posts : 509 Registered: 8/24/07
Posted: Oct 16, 2007 11:54 PM Go to message in response to: 080808bride

Hi ladies. I'd been searching through the boards too and hadn't been able to find an August 2008 thread. This will be fun and helpful to see how everyone's planning is going.

It's crazy to think that there are only 10 months left for planning! We've been engaged since Dec 24, 2006 and plan on getting married Aug 24, 2008. We are both HUGE procrastinators though and with me being a full time student and working full time, not a whole lot is getting done. To be honest, nothing has been done Embarassed I'm getting more and more interested in planning and have done tons of research, but no one else seems to care (FH, MOH). Then again, with the type of ppl in my family, I'm hesitant to make a big deal out of stuff because then they just make it even bigger! I feel kind of like this is my project, my baby and I want to keep it a secret and not get everybody's noses in our business.

Anyway, before I bore you even more (lol), just wanted to say hello and let you know I'll definitely be checking in on this thread!

Shauna C...I can't wait!!

HamiltonBride Posts : 140 Registered: 7/30/07
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 9:31 AM Go to message in response to: 080808bride

Hi!!

Also an August bride! August 16, 2008 to be exact. I too was surprised that there wasn't any threads for this sooner, where I am, S. Ontario, it is prime wedding season.

We got engaged Jan. 2 this year but are both full time students and workers so kiboshed (sp?) any planning until just this August but things seem to be working out well.

My mom and I have been doing most of the planning, sometimes I find all the discussion and decisions exhausting but am too picky to truly download tasks to FH. Granted, he picked the band and finalized the menu with my Nona. She's not cooking, she's just most concerned that we have the right food to impress the family.

Right, so far I have booked the ceremony/reception site, which includes catering, the decorator, the site comes rather bare, the band, and the designer for the invites, etc.

I'm in the process of trying to book a photographer but it may be too late to get someone good and I'm kicking myself.

Haven't dress shopped yet because I'm not feeling the whole princess/ballroom thing. I got a good idea off of another thread though and have made an appointment to look at Vera Wang bridesmaids dresses, which happily come in ivory, and don't have big trains/skirts!! Obviously, VW isn't going to cheap, even for a bridesmaids dress but I think it should be a wash with a regular wedding gown from anywhere more reasonable.

My question, now that I'm typing this is: Do I admit to the shop that I am a bride looking for something to wear to my wedding and deal with the potential snobbiness? Or do I lie and same that I am a bridesmaid and the bride wants me in ivory? Or do I pray that no one asks and it doesn't come up? The boutique is in a fairly ritzy part of Toronto and my experience is that you need to look and act like you belong in order to get good service, you know, a Pretty Woman kind of deal.

Wow, okay, that was way longer than I had intended.

Cheers to August brides!! 

Posted: Oct 17, 2007 5:31 PM Go to message in response to: DAS824

Shauna,

Don't worry about being a procrasitinator, yet! There are tons of ppl that only get engaged 9 or even 6 months before their wedding day. We can do it :) I feel like I planned so much of the big stuff this summer that I dont have much to do until it gets closer to the actual date. My MOH just moved from MI to CO and so now I feel at a loss. Another one of my bridesmaids has been really helpful, and I have 2 moms (1 step) so things are coming along. My latest battle is deciding on what to do for a cake. I hate cake, FH hates cake...I see it as a waste of money! 

Anyways- keep me updated on how things are going and let me know if I can be of any help!  

Posted: Oct 17, 2007 5:35 PM Go to message in response to: HamiltonBride

HamiltonBride:  I would suggest, and it is only my opinion, to be honest with the boutique. Tell them you likes/dislikes and why you are there. My guess is that they will be ever so helpful because they probably will have what you are looking for. You would want them to be honest with you, so don't feel like you have to lie to get them to help you out. If they are not good with customer service, then you probably don't want to go through them because a wedding dress is a big deal to a wedding and its one thing you don't want to be upset about!

Have you thought of the mermaid style? It seems to be really "in" right now, is so flattering to the figure, and doesnt usually have all the fuss and poof of the other gowns. Plus, they come with really nice detailing and tons of variations on the same slim idea.

Just thoughts!

Posted: Oct 17, 2007 6:47 PM Go to message in response to: 080808bride

080808Bride - Just a quick note. FH doesn't really like cake much either (I LOVE cake!!). But he really likes cheesecake. We've been tossing the idea back and forth trying to figure out what would be best for us and guests. As a warning though, cheesecake can be expensive obviously compared to regular cake. (I've found cake priced at $1.75/slice and cheesecake at $3.50/slice) I've seen a thread of someone asking about wedding pies...maybe that would interest you. Also, if most of your guests would like traditional cake, maybe you can do something special for the groom's cake that you'd both enjoy. That might be what I do for the groom's cake (cheesecake) if we decide that cheesecake for everyone will be too expensive.

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 12:47 PM Go to message in response to: 080808bride

080808bride'

I've looked at mermaid gowns and they are still basically big, heavy dresses. I appreciate the bride who wants to have a very formal, princess-y moment for her wedding. Honestly though, because of the industry I am in, and my crazy big Italian family, I have dress up quite formally at least a dozen times a year. I would like a dress that is cool and comfortable, and I'm marrying outside so anything that drags I'm not interested in. 

I've tried on the poofy dresses and, God, are they fun! But five minutes later I'm over it. And slippy, sheath type things look horrendous on me!!

You're right, though. I don't want to lie. I was more wondering if I should. A friend of mine had her dress made by a seamstress but that makes me nervous. I don't feel like I am creative enough to direct someone to make something for me. 

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 12:51 PM Go to message in response to: DAS824

Oh, and about the cakes - my mom is making the family's traditional wedding cake, which is really gross! It's fruitcake, and apparently she has to start making it in a month for a wedding that isn't for 10 months. Ew. I don't actually know anyone who would eat it but it has to be made. Anyhow, we are also having other assorted desserts on a buffet table, FH and I are just going to eat those instead.

So, it you have to have cake for your guests, I suppose just don't spend too much on something you could care less for and don't eat it! 

Breezer80 Posts : 94 Registered: 4/14/06
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 2:28 PM Go to message in response to: HamiltonBride

Hooray for August brides! My date is 8/23/08. I'm also extremely busy, we've been engaged since June, and I started graduate school in September and continue to work full time as well. I tried to do as much planning as possible before school started because I knew that "free time" would be a thing of the past. So, I've booked:

The reception/ceremony site, also includes food/drink

The photographer

The florist

The baker

The band

Ordered the dress

I think for now we're OK, we're working on booking the officiant, I hope that will be done in the next few weeks. I've been browsing invitations, although I know it's way early to order them, I am enormously picky. We are ordering our save the dates in November, we have them all picked out too. Bridesmaids & Mothers dresses will be done in December/January when school is out.

Ooo, I can't believe it's only 10 months away!!!! I am hoping and praying we have enough $$$ to pay for everything!

Laughing Countdown! I marry my favorite little ladybug in less than a year!!! Wink

Daisypath Ticker

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 10:20 PM Go to message in response to: HamiltonBride

HamiltonBride:

Well, good luck with dress shopping- don't stress about it, there are only a gazillon and two dress styles out there! I knew long before I was engaged the exact dress I wanted so I never had the exciting moment when everyone cries and is so shocked- everyone just said it was "great." So I wish you a better moment.

As for the cake- so it will be made in november, but just sit there until august? Isn't it going to be stale? I've never heard of that...but I just have NO motivation to do anything with a cake. We're contemplating the fake cake idea still. I love the way the cakes look, but it just seems like a waste.  

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 10:27 PM Go to message in response to: Breezer80

Welcome Breezer! It sounds like you are already making great strides towards getting things done! I know how it is to be super busy..and trying to plan a wedding. I can't believe we spend so much time, energy and money on ONE DAY! But, I can't imagine doing it differently. I was reading in a wedding magazine (because sadly I don't have time to read real books!) that somewhere around 40% of women wished they could take months off from work to plan their wedding. Could you imagine? I wish!!

Good luck with school until January!  

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 11:12 PM Go to message in response to: 080808bride

080808bride - I think you have to pour alcohol on it periodically?? I don't know. My grandmother gave my mother deathbed instructions last year. She also said I would have six children. I worry for our guests, hopefully no one gets sick from this cake.

Breezer - Both FH and I are full-time students and practically full-time employees so I know what you're going through!! I blasted through so much wedding stuff in August, it was great! If you have any tips for getting your brain off of wedding planning and into your studies I would love to hear them. I am so easily distracted these days.

Posted: Oct 19, 2007 1:29 PM Go to message in response to: HamiltonBride

I know how you ladies feel too! FH and I both work full time and I'm a full time student. I'm going crazy!! This semester I'm taking the most difficult class required for my major (psychology) and it's living up to the hype. I too am very distracted by wedding planning/research though. I find myself on the computer doing homework one minute and then looking up ceremony/reception sites or checking the boards...I'm going to love winter break this year, lol :)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine