"Jobs" for kids in wedding?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5

MrsLewis Posts : 325 Registered: 7/9/07
"Jobs" for kids in wedding?
Posted: Oct 3, 2007 4:18 PM

I have a strange question...sort of.  This will be long, so bear with me, if you don't have time I understand.  Here goes......

My son who will be four at the time will be our RB.  FH's neice (also four at the time) will be the FG.  That being said...I want them to be "special" as in, no other dresses match hers, etc.

Now the problem...my uncle (dad's brother) has three children who are my first cousins, and are all adult people who will be attending but not in my wedding.  Two of the three have children.  My uncle remarried a much younger woman, and had a child with her, who is the same age as her (the daughter, also my first cousin) half-siblings' children.  (does this make any sense?  I wish I could draw a picture....it would be MUCH easier Smile)  That being said, there are five kids that I would LOVE to include in my wedding, not counting the RB and FG.

I have four girls....their ages at the wedding will be 10, 8, 7, and 2.

And one boy who will be seven.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

I would love to include all of them, but I don't know how.  I don't really want a bunch of flower girls, bc I really want FH's neice to stand out, since her parents are BM and MOH, as well as wanting to please FIL's.  If you made it all the way through that and have a suggestion, thanks!

Daisypath Ticker" alt="" width="28" height="30">

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Re: "Jobs" for kids in wedding?
Posted: Oct 3, 2007 4:47 PM Go to message in response to: MrsLewis

Hi, it is sweet of you to want to honor the kids by giving them special roles in the wedding.  If they were all ages 7 and up, I'd say make them Jr BMs and Jr GM.  The 2-yr-old is the toughie, but if you could put her in a dress the same general style and color as the older girls (her nieces?), then she could be called a Jr BM too, and walk down the aisle with them.  She's obviously younger than the FG, but so what, as long as your wedding is not super-formal.  The Jrs could all walk in a gang, doesn't have to be regimented 2 by 2.  They would probably find it a lot of fun, it would be cute, and with safety in numbers you could probably avoid a child getting stage fright and refusing to walk!
EveT

Message was edited by EveT4141 on Oct 3, 2007 4:47 PM

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Oct 3, 2007 4:54 PM Go to message in response to: MrsLewis

Dear Mrs L,

I would do exactly what Eve says. Call the other girls Junior Bridesmaids (very junior in one case) and go with that.

Remember, we fit the wedding to the existing family, not the family to some diagram in a wedding planning book.

Iheartweddings Posts : 645 Registered: 7/23/07
Posted: Oct 3, 2007 5:50 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

I'm having a 4-year old "flower attendant" who will walk around right before we leave and pass out flower petals for everyone to throw... You could do something similar if you plan on exiting with bubbles, flowers, rice, etc... 

MrsLewis Posts : 325 Registered: 7/9/07
Posted: Oct 9, 2007 2:25 PM Go to message in response to: Iheartweddings

Thanks for the replies!  I talked to my cousin (mother of the 2 year old) and she said that she didn't really think it was necessary for her to be included with a "part" in the wedding, but that her older sisters would love it.  So that leaves me with 9, 8, and 7 year old girls, and a 7 year old boy.  I thought about having the two older girls be candle lighters, but then wasn't sure what to do with the seven year olds?  Any ideas, comments? Thanks!

Daisypath Ticker" alt="" width="28" height="30">

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Oct 9, 2007 10:02 PM Go to message in response to: MrsLewis

dear Mrs Lewis,

Can they be some kind of "banner carrier"? I'm thinking about some bride-y, gauze-fabric with flowers that would be to either side for the last few feet as you approach the altar. The kids could hold that up. Put the more responsible ones at the ends and the younger ones in the middle.

It would give these young-ish kids a part in the wedding, where all eyes are on them.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine