Bride and Grooms sides at church...

Online Users: 1,256 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 13

LovesPaul Posts : 35 Registered: 7/4/07
Bride and Grooms sides at church...
Posted: Oct 1, 2007 3:15 AM

Is it really necessary to have guests of the bride sit on one side, and guests of the groom sit on the other? If I did that, I think I'd cry. My favorite uncle and my little brother are the only family members that are coming, and because of cost, and the fact that we're having it in his hometown, (2000 miles away from mine) the only friends of mine that will be there will be BM's. Is it ok to just have guests sit wherever?

totobride Posts : 641 Registered: 3/30/06
Re: Bride and Grooms sides at church...
Posted: Oct 1, 2007 5:41 AM Go to message in response to: LovesPaul

Absolutely.  That's what I am doing. 

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Oct 1, 2007 7:00 AM Go to message in response to: LovesPaul

Yep - that's perfectly fine. We're doing the same thing. 

I'd suggest having ushers, though. If you don't, then most guests will assume that they should sit on the side of the person that they know better. If you want to balance it out, ushers are a good idea. 

DaisypathWedding Ticker

5in3 Posts : 806 Registered: 8/15/06
Posted: Oct 1, 2007 1:04 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

We aren't doing a bride's side or groom's side either.  More because my family is German Lutheran which means you sing the hymns, and his family is catholic, and I guess that means you don't sing hymns, or you don't sing at all.  So We would have one half the of the church busting out singing at the top of their lungs, and the other staring at them like they had lost their minds.
Me, my honey and our kitty make 3.

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Posted: Oct 1, 2007 1:50 PM Go to message in response to: 5in3

5in3, LOL -- I was raised Lutheran, too, and got quite a shock the first time I visited a Catholic mass, LOL again.

We also had guests sit on whichever side of the church they preferred, and everbody was fine with it.  In fact, the friend who did the Bible readings is a close friend of mine and didn't meet my DH until right before the wedding, but she sat on the groom's side because that's where the lectern is.

EveT

Beachwed Posts : 782 Registered: 9/19/06
Posted: Oct 1, 2007 1:59 PM Go to message in response to: totobride

We did that too, I think my side consisted of a third of the guests and i would've cried too if I would've seen all these empty seats on my side.  We did tell the ushers beforehand about it, and then did have my parents/grandparents on my side up front, and his immediate family on his side in the front.  It's perfectly fine :)

Noviesita Posts : 381 Registered: 6/18/07
Posted: Oct 1, 2007 2:56 PM Go to message in response to: LovesPaul

I think agree with PP's.  I think it's fine.  We are doing the same.

futuremrsperry Posts : 1,904 Registered: 4/23/06
Posted: Oct 1, 2007 4:37 PM Go to message in response to: 5in3

I don't know if you are going to be able to control who sits where.  Maybe your ushers could spread everyone out?? 

5in3, Catholics sing.  In my church we sing responses to the readings, prayers, everything!  Every church is different.  My grandmother's church, which is my my diocese, do not sing half as much as we do.  Honestly the singing make everything 10 times longer.  My cousin was just having a ceremony, no mass, at my church, and hers was still an hour long.  

Posted: Oct 2, 2007 9:37 AM Go to message in response to: 5in3

We're not doing sides either.

I was raised Catholic and went to catholic school (and mass every day!) for 15 years and we sang hymns during mass. 

"If we weren't all crazy we would go insane"  ~Jimmy Buffett

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Oct 2, 2007 10:59 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm Catholic as well, and people sing at my church. They certainly don't sing WELL, but they sing. Honestly, I hate the sound of a congregation 'singing.' It's not singing - it's mumbling to music. Anyway, we haven't talked to the priest specifically about our ceremony yet, so I don't know if singing is REQUIRED, but I'm avoiding it if at all possible. It just doesn't sound good when a group of non-singers sing just because they're in a church!

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Posted: Oct 2, 2007 4:08 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

LOL... I must agree.  There is certainly a difference between singing and singing well.  We had some tone-deaf nuns at my school.  Me, on the other hand, I'm a great singer.  In my shower, in my car by myself, and after a dozen Mojitos at the Karaoke bar!

Surprised (that's me hitting a high note)

"If we weren't all crazy we would go insane"  ~Jimmy Buffett

luvmygemini Posts : 737 Registered: 7/16/07
Posted: Oct 2, 2007 4:31 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

In a non church setting do you think a Hostess or possibly 2 can act as (ushers) and direct people to sit where there is available seating? this is my idea since we are not having ushers,I have 2 friends that would love to do it since they are not in the bridal party,and we don't want the families split on either side what do u think? 

"I look forward to pledging my love once again to my friend, my sweetheart, my soul mate on 10~17~2008"

Princessmiabrid... Posts : 36 Registered: 7/13/07
Posted: Oct 2, 2007 11:10 PM Go to message in response to: LovesPaul

I don't want to do that either because his side would be smaller than mine.  I am with the PP  just let the guest sit where they want.

LovesPaul Posts : 35 Registered: 7/4/07
Posted: Oct 3, 2007 3:20 AM Go to message in response to: Princessmiabrid...

I feel soo much better. Thanks!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine