New here First post!!

Online Users: 1,274 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 6

pinkwed09 Posts : 4 Registered: 9/12/07
New here First post!!
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 12:41 PM

Hi, This is my first post on here, I am just looking for some advise. My boyfriend and I are not engaged yet, but we have been looking at rings. I found one that I really love, but just want to be sure, so we want to continue to look around. Im not even exactly sure where to look. We have looked at all the local stores and everything, and even online. My friend's husband got her ring from a new york store online, and was wondering if anyone here is from New york and would know of any replicable jewelry stores from new york that I can look at online. Also any other jewelry stores that anyone might want to recommend. I really like the two tone rings, white gold and rose gold, so if anyone knows of any websites or stores that have that, that would be helpful too.

Thanks so much!!

EveT2007 Posts : 1,949 Registered: 8/31/06
Re: New here First post!!
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 12:48 PM Go to message in response to: pinkwed09

Hi, best wishes on your upcoming engagement!  Since you mentioned New York, my first bit of advice would be to educate yourself A LOT before visiting any of the stores in the "diamond district" in Manhattan.  This is a concentrated block of jewelry stores all next to & on top of one another, all competing for your dollar.  It's easy to get overwhelmed, or to choose something and think you are getting a good buy, only to find out when you pick up the ring that it doesn't look as nice as you expected, or that the diamond isn't the quality you wanted, or whatever.

My second piece of advice, since you mentioned online stores, is that you not buy online.  You can't see what you're getting.  Even a website with very good quality photos is not going to make it possible foryou to see how the ring looks ON YOUR HAND, or with the wedding ring you'll eventually wear with it.  Use the websites to get ideas of what you like, but there's no substitute for trying rings on in person.

An engagement is such a major purchase for most couples, as it was for us.  My 3rd piece of advice is to decide on your budget according to what you can realistically afford, and stick to it.  Even if you can't afford a ring as nice as what you'd ideally like, you can always upgrade it as a wedding anniversary gift at some future time when you've got more money.

Hope this helps!

EveT

CaribbeanBride08 Posts : 1,474 Registered: 6/13/07
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 12:59 PM Go to message in response to: EveT2007

I agree with Eve on all points except for not buying online.  This can be done but you have to do it right.  My fiance bought my ring online from a dealer in Minnesota (we're in California); HOWEVER, he knew what he was getting because he purchased a specific designer's ring (Jeff Cooper in NY) and then the center stone is GIA certified so he knew EXACTLY what he was getting.  

The only other thing I can add to what Eve's already said, is to focus on quality, not quantity.  It doesn't matter how big the diamond is, if it's poor quality, it won't look good. 

http://www.brides.com/weddingwebsite/tobiandbrian

Daisypath Ticker

CaribbeanBride08 Posts : 1,474 Registered: 6/13/07
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 1:09 PM Go to message in response to: pinkwed09

A good website to look at would be www.robbinsbros.com.  You can search for two-tone rings and the metal you want, etc.  From there you can order everything from Robbins by calling them or you can order the setting only and find another source for the center stone.  My FH was going to order from them but found a company that carried Jeff Cooper designs in Minnesota and avoided having to pay taxes.  Robbins Bros is a HUGE company here in California and very, very reputable. 

I don't know your style, but in looking at their website, this ring is gorgeous (IMHO)...  heck, now I kinda wish I had this one!  haha  just kidding... i love my ring and wouldn't change it for the world. 

http://www.brides.com/weddingwebsite/tobiandbrian

Daisypath Ticker

Posted: Sep 12, 2007 1:45 PM Go to message in response to: EveT2007

Thank you for your replies! You've really helped me. Eve, I think I will take your advise and set a budget before we go any further, your right about upgrading once we have more money.

Caribbeanbride- That ring is beautiful, and right up my alley! I think I will check out that website, even if only to get ideas!

Thanks again!

Posted: Sep 12, 2007 2:01 PM Go to message in response to: CaribbeanBride08

Caribbeanbride- I checked out that website and there are soo many gorgeous rings that I love, too bad all the actual stores are in Texas, Illinois or S. California, but I'm going to show it to my boyfriend and see what he thinks, we can always order online or he can contact a sales person.

blndsnbrdr Posts : 131 Registered: 9/3/07
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 5:42 PM Go to message in response to: pinkwed09

My FH and I only went to one place before we bought a ring - we limited our options, but my ring is beautiful!  We got it at Rogers and Hollands, which has a gtd policy for the diamonds.  I was really worried about hurting or losing my diamond, so that really set me at ease.  There are so many rings out there - just find your favorite so far and go with it - its easier!

Also, its almost better to buy the ring in person from a store because you can go back to that store if there are any problems or it needs resizing or anything like that.

"We fit together pefectly, like two puzzle pieces...puzzle pieces you have to pour water on and pound together" -Chris (FH)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine