At Home Reception...after the destination wedding...

Online Users: 1,233 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 28
Re: At Home Reception...after the destination wedding...
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 6:14 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

We are having a DW and a reception back home.  Our wedding will be in November and our reception in January back home.  The DW will be pretty small with only close friends and family...about 50 people with 5 attendants for each of us.  My belief is that people like to come to weddings for the reception, not necessarily to hear the vows :P  Therefore those who are unable to make the DW will still be able to have a good time and celebrate with us!

The reception back here will be just like after a traditional wedding ceremony.  We are getting a limo for the bridal party to cruise around in an hour or two before the reception is scheduled to start.  Then we will be announced and the party will begin.  I don't think we will include the toasts or cake cutting.  Our wedding cake will be at the DW and we will probably just have sheet cake back at home. 

I'm honestly just really excited that I get to wear my dress two times!

Posted: Sep 19, 2007 6:43 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

oh yea, thats whats so great about it....getting to wear your dress again!

I married my best friend in the whole world!!
Daisypath Ticker 

Posted: Oct 2, 2007 4:04 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

We had a beach wedding and didn't invite anyone except our two best friends. Then, once it was summer here, we had a reception in a private room at a local restaurant. We had a buffet style dinner, bar, cake, etc. There wasn't really room for dancing, but we had a steel drum player to give it a Carribean feel. It turned out to be a lot of fun and I'm really glad we did it (despite all the headaches involved!).

blndsnbrdr Posts : 131 Registered: 9/3/07
Posted: Oct 3, 2007 7:42 AM Go to message in response to: crystallynn

It might help to limit your DW wedding to just certain family members (such as parents, grandparents, sibiling, or something like that) so your family doesn't feel like you are picking and choosing between them!

By no means do you have to have a reception when you return from the DW - that is up to you and your family needs to understand that!  It can get expensive, so don't feel obligated!

As for playing a video of the ceremony - I am doing something similar at my home reception...I'm planning on making a slideshow/video of FH and I through our years together and then end it photos/video from the DW ceremony just so everyone can see it and understand how beautiful it is in CO in the winter! 

"We fit together pefectly, like two puzzle pieces...puzzle pieces you have to pour water on and pound together" -Chris (FH)

Posted: Oct 29, 2007 7:20 PM Go to message in response to: CaribbeanBride08

We are getting married in Jnue and having our at home reception in July.  This is going to be a HUGE event!  That's part of the reason we are having as DW.

We're going to have heavy Hors D'oevures and Cocktails and Dancing.  We'll also set up a screen so everyone can watch our wedding video.  We're also starting a little later and calling it a cocktail reception on the invite so people don't expect a full meal to help save some cash.

Posted: Oct 30, 2007 11:35 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

At the moment it looks like we're doiing two at home "receptions" because we're from two towns and they're far enough apart that it isn't feasible to get everyone together at once. We're doing a DW to save money, so although I will wear my dress again, the reception will be casual - hosted by a family member at their home, with munchies and maybe a cake (I have a friend who is doing a pastry chef course, so I'm planning to ask her if she'll do a cake for us for the AHR!). The point is to see family that we don't get to see very often, share our photos & videos, give my grandmother a chance to see me in my dress, etc. We'll word the invitations so that everyone knows what to expect "casual reception at the home of so & so"

I'd love to do dinner & dancing, but we just cannot afford it - and if you're going to do that, I figure you might as well just get married at home anyway. 

Posted: Oct 30, 2007 12:53 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hello everyone!  In response to the posts above, my family is planning a reception for us about two months after we return from our "WeddingMoon", and it's going to be mainly an cocktail/hors d'ouevres (sp) reception with about 15 different things to eat, a decorated cake, dancing, etc.  We're having it in the afternoon on a Sunday around 1pm so it'll still be inexpensive but still nice and hopefully everyone will enjoy themselves.  What does everyone think about this?  Too little?  Too tacky?

Posted: Nov 3, 2007 8:12 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I don't think home receptions are tacky at all!  I'm a caterer and some of the nicest parties I have done have been in private homes.  You will be excited to share this big step in your life!  You will have done quite a bit of work planning and deserve to shine! I think it also is great for people who won't travel with you to feel included.

Part of the reason I chose a DW is because the guest list was getting out of control. Because I am in this business, we need to have a big party and be able to invite clients and colleagues. Luckily with my connections and close relationships with vendors my reception here will pretty much be at cost or dontated.

I'm lucky to have it both ways--an intimate wedding with family and close friends and a big blow-out party with 400 guests!  The bottom line is to be sure you and your new husband are happy.

www.ewedding.com/sites/ErinandMike08

Posted: Nov 21, 2007 1:05 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

we have rented a castle in my hometown and are doing the whole formal affair! but on a budget lol.  we are getting married in ocho rios, just the two of us, so i want to have the big reception when we return. I am doing my own flowers, which is saving me thousands, and the caterer is a bit pricey- but we are having a sit down dinner and they are letting us do our own open bar, so again we are saving tons on buying our own liqour...SO EXCITED!!! I haven't decided if i am going to wear my dress yet, but we are going to show the wedding video during the dinner, so everyone will see me in my dress-- so i am kinda conflicted.

awaywego Posts : 66 Registered: 6/22/07
Posted: Nov 29, 2007 10:41 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

wow.. you all have so much planned already.  I'm not sure if I get to classify our wedding as DW because it is only 4 hours away from home.  We are having a small wedding, I've invited 48 people and don't plan on that many coming.

If we were to have it home I would have had the 200 guest list, but to be fair to my dad who is paying for the reception I wouldn't want to spend that kind of money for one day.

I plan on renting a pavilion back home in Saratoga Park (i live in upstate NY).  They have pools, volleyball nets to keep the kids busy.  I plan on doing a bbq, desserts, maybe a sheet cake but nothing fancy.  The park allows you to bring alcohol so we can go all out.   I love the idea of a laid back party.  

RDWM Posts : 1,354 Registered: 9/27/06
Posted: Nov 29, 2007 10:55 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

We had a small reception after our DW in January. We weren't planning on doing anything since we're older and this isn't either of our first marriages. His Aunt and step mom put together a nice reception as a gift to us. We all took food, potluck BBQ style, and his Aunt got us a beautiful small cake. My family and friends are all casual people anyway. It was perfect. None of us knew that his cousin Graylon makes the best jalapeño artichoke dip ever and now we cant get his recipe. I made the Polynesian meatballs from the better homes and garden cookbook and took them there in a crock pot. I used to make them for dinner for the kids when they were little and they were a hit once again. We all had a great time. We showed our crappy wedding video and watched his sister cry. I loved it. 

Not everyone would be happy with my simple party. You know your guests though. What do you want and how formal are weddings in your social network? 

Best wishes to all of you. I hope you have a wonderful day and an even better marriage.

Danille 

We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures. ~ Thornton Wilder

goldelox20 Posts : 152 Registered: 8/6/07
Posted: Nov 29, 2007 11:21 AM Go to message in response to: RDWM

I went to a reception for a DW...it was in a ballroom at a hotel and they had an appetizer spread, cash bar, and they served apple cider for the toast.  I think that what time of day you have the reception decides the level of food.

Posted: Dec 18, 2007 10:33 AM Go to message in response to: RDWM

I had always envisioned a big barbeque in a forest preserve as our reception but now we're planning to get married in November so we won't be able to do anything outdoors. My brother had a good point that reserving a room will probably be way more expensive than just going outside. :(

For now I'm just focusing on planning the wedding, we'll worry about the reception later!

Should I hyphenate or just have 3 names? Morgan Phelps Crane, Morgan Phelps-Crane...

Posted: Dec 19, 2007 1:25 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hey all, I am doing what everyone else is doing also, but my at home reception is 5 months after my wedding.  We are getting married Jan 2nd 2009 in Jamiaca, and since we are from Ohio we are having an outdoor BBQ style recpetion in June.  That give my future husband and I time to get some more money so we can have an awesome recpetion!  I am throwing around ideas for a cake though.  I used to work in a bakery decorating wedding cakes and have always wanted a huge colorful and over the top cake, but I hate the taste of fondant.  But, since my recpetion is outdoors I wanted my cake to be the center piece, but buttercream frosting will melt, any suggestions?  Random I know, but I have to get some suggestions!Laughing  Thanks!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine