Making myself crazy! Help!

Online Users: 1,317 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5
Making myself crazy! Help!
Posted: Aug 30, 2007 4:17 PM

So, here goes... my boyfriend is in the army, and is just starting a series of training which will last throughout the rest of this year and into 2009.  However, he has a significant break in the training around Oct 10th through New Years.  We've already gone ring shopping for ideas, and last week he said that he's decided when he's going to buy me a ring, providing everything goes well there (training).  So... should I be excited for thinking that he'll ask me in the next few months??!!!  Or should I really try and calm my nerves, and try to put it out of my head?  I'm making myself crazy though, it's all I can think about!  Plus, I won't be able to see him until his break, and I don't want to get my hopes up for everytime we do something together during that time.  Has anyone else gone through something similiar?  How do I cope?!  Thanks ladies!

Being a soldier is hard, but loving one is even harder... T n K

ChucksGrl0215 Posts : 407 Registered: 8/27/07
Re: Making myself crazy! Help!
Posted: Aug 30, 2007 4:34 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Congrats! I'm actually kind of going through the same thing although my bf is not in the army or going away anytime soon. We have been shopping around for rings and now it's just a matter of when he decides to ask me. If I were you I would try to be as calm as possible because you really don't know when he's going to ask. I know it's hard especially with him going away (I used to date a guy in the army and it sucked when he was away at training).
"All you need to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you."

blndsnbrdr Posts : 131 Registered: 9/3/07
Posted: Sep 4, 2007 10:30 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Try your hardest to stay calm about it!  Then if you don't get it you won't be too let down or get upset with him.

I knew about my engagement ring for a year and a half before I got it - and after he gave it to me (in our living room while watching a movie) he told me about a time he really wanted to give it to me, but chickened out.  We went to Colorado to go snowboarding over our winter break and we climbed up onto the very top of Breckenridge, so we were on THE TOP OF A MOUNTAIN...ON OUR 4 YR ANNIVERSARY...and he had the ring in his pocket!  Talk about a perfect setting!  I will forever pick on him for that, but I'll do my best not to tell anyone we know about it - I just find it rather entertaining!

Soon2BeMrsBackus Posts : 13 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 6:36 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

hey!i definitely know what you're going through...my FH is in the air force, and he proposed when he was home on leave in april. He had told me the first time he was home in december that he wanted to propose, but he couldn't find a ring, soo..we waited. Before he came home again, i was really anxious, and impatient, but when i saw him, i didn't really think about it that much. being with him, and spending time with him was more important. when he did propose, it was perfect, and amazing, and it made me so happy. Just try not to think about it too much; trust him. He'll know when it's right, and perfect. In the meantime, just try to focus on the time you have together, and have fun.

rubyred1 Posts : 968 Registered: 8/9/07
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 6:50 PM Go to message in response to: Soon2BeMrsBackus

Try not to think about it, as hard as that is.  My FH is in the Navy, bought my diamond while he was overseas last year, and I just got the ring a month ago.  I knew about the diamond so it bugged me that he wouldn't give it to me, but I knew it hadn't been put into a setting yet.  I was with him when we bought the ring, with him when he picked it up, and it sat in my house for a week before he would let me look at it or give it to me.  It was torture waiting for it!  I know that you're excited, but try not to think about it.  Congratulations though!

Posted: Dec 18, 2007 2:54 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Wow...I TOTALLY understand how you feel.  My FH and I went looking at rings back in Feb 07 and I was SOOO anxious for him to ask me that it drove me crazy.  By accident in Oct 07 I found out he had the ring!  I was so excited, started getting ideas for the wedding, and talking/thinking about it ALL THE TIME, I even looked up ways to propose and e-mailed them to him!  Yes... I know, I'm crazy. He finally popped the question November 4th, 2007!

However, because I was waiting for it every minute and analyzing EVERY move he made after I knew he had the ring, I got disappointed several times thinking "this is it, he's getting ready to ask me!"  When he DID ask me, it was perfect, at least on his part, but I once again, analyzed it too much, and knew he was getting ready to ask me.  Of course I was excited happy estatic, but I wasn't suprised.

So...long story short.  You want to be suprised.  Don't think about the ring, and don't ask nosey questions to try to find out.  You may think you want to, but it takes a lot of fun out of it for him.  If I could change anything, it would have been that!

But..with all that said!  Yea! I'm excited for you!  Being in love and knowing you are going to get married is SO FUN don't you agree!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine