Rethinking: Professional Makeup vs. doing it myself.

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 23
Rethinking: Professional Makeup vs. doing it myself.
Posted: Jul 12, 2007 10:10 AM

I had planned to get my  make up done professionally, but now I'm not sure.  The only thing I need help with is my eyes.  I'd like to dress them up a little more on my wedding day. I like everything else about my current make up. 

I was thinking that maybe I'll just have my Clinique lady help me a few weeks before to create a good look for my eyes, I'd of course buy some of the product she uses.... then practice doing it myself the day of?

I"m not really that skilled in the make up department but it feels like the professinals charge a lot... when like I said I can do everything but my eyes well.  Any suggestions? 

My concern with me doing it is having one of those moments with my eye make up where I mess up everything b/c one eye line is thicker than the other and it escalates... I'm sure some of you know what I'm talking about... where you have to take it off and start all over.  I don't want that to happen the day of my wedding.

November 3, 2007 I become Mrs. Vazquez! If this is a dream, please don't wake me up...

KMAC11 Posts : 138 Registered: 4/25/07
Re: Rethinking: Professional Makeup vs. doing it myself.
Posted: Jul 12, 2007 10:15 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Why don't you have a friend/BM come with you to the Clinique counter and pay close attention?  Then between the two of you, you can get the look you want for the wedding. 

http://kellydavid.weddingannouncer.com/ 

** K **

NewMrsSass Posts : 722 Registered: 12/31/06
Posted: Jul 12, 2007 10:29 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Any time I've known anyone to get their makeup done professionally...there is something about it that they hate (the colors, the eyeliner, foundation caked on, etc).  Do you have a relative or BM who you always say "wow, I wish I could do my makeup like that"?  I am sure that someone would be honored to help you on the big day.  I know my sister is doing mine.

Posted: Jul 12, 2007 10:37 AM Go to message in response to: NewMrsSass

Hard as it is to believe, there's no one I can think of that I like their make up. Not that will be with me on my wedding day anyway. My BM's that are staying with me, one only uses foundation and gloss, the other doesn't wear any make up, like maybe once a year or so.  Of the 3 of us, I wear the most make up.  My other BM's are closer to my wedding site than they are to me, so I won't be seeing them till we get there.  My mom can't see very well, though she USED to be good at putting on make up... I'll probably end up doing make up for her, and my BM's since they don't know how :-( 

November 3, 2007 I become Mrs. Vazquez! If this is a dream, please don't wake me up...

Posted: Jul 13, 2007 7:27 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I think I am having mine done at Merle Norman - they charge $40 at the trial, and then nothing the day of.  Since I never wear makeup, that works for me.  I figure it's about the same as buying all the stuff I would need just for one day lol.  I thought $40 for 2 applications wasn't horrible.  I guess if I hate it at the trial, then I'll be out $40, but for me that's better than spending money to buy makeup I'll never wear again.  Maybe it would be worth checking into to see if there is one in your area though.  I know some places near where I'm getting married charge $100+ for day of application.  So Merle Norman seems cheaper than most.  I'll post a pic after my end of the month trial. 

BrideChica Posts : 2,300 Registered: 12/25/06
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 9:28 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

When I go to work and even when I go shopping, I wear the basic makeup.  Eyeshadow, mascara, lipstick, and blush (I just discovered blush a year ago, when I went to the MAC store to buy some new eyeshadows.  My face is kind of round and blush helped define my cheeks, giving me a less round face.  Believe it or not my fh loved the way it made my face look.  He even bought it for me, to make sure that I had it.)

Back to your question....I'm having it professionally done bc I have issues like creasing eyeshadow, oily/shiny skin, and I don't own any foundation.  I want to make sure that I don't have extra shine, creasing eyeshadow, or anything else that shows up in pictures after wearing makeup for 12 hours.

Yes, some places may be expensive, but maybe you can talk to the person at the any makeup counter to come to your house and put your makeup on, on the day of the wedding.  Someone that you see frequently and might know you by face.  If not start developing a relationship with one of those counter people.  My other suggestion is that MAC recently started this thing where they'll put makeup on you for about $50.  I looked at their website and didn't see anything that tells you about this, but I'm sure I read it in a magazine and even ask an employee about it (it was a while ago).  You can call them up and ask about that.  My makeup artist had a "Girls Night Out" session that helped us achieve two looks, natural and smoky.  We paid $25 for that, if we decided to use her for our wedding, she will deduct that $25 from the actual wedding day fee.  Search in your area for a professional makeup artist and see how much they charge.  If you are still looking to do your own makeup, I'd suggest practicing the makeup you want to do every chance you get.  Whether its on the weekends or when you go out, try to do the makeup and at the end of the night take note on what worked and what didn't work. Good luck! 

Posted: Jul 13, 2007 10:35 AM Go to message in response to: BrideChica

Last night I tried a "nightime" look and I must say it looked pretty good, though I don't think I'll try to mess with liquid eyeliner the day of.... I did my usual day time just heavier, a little darker blush, slightly heavier eyeshadow and made my eyeliner thicker... I still need to refine some things.

I spent a lot of money on my makeup and since I DO wear make up and I would use the night time colors for parties, going out etc... I hate to pay for it and THEN pay for someone to do it too.  If I can just figure out how to do my eyes up nicely I'd be set. 

LochNessie Posts : 1,631 Registered: 4/2/07
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 11:50 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

You might do this already, but if you watch What Not To Wear on TLC, the makeup artist there is really good (Carmindy). She often does evening looks and explain how she's doing it.  She has a website too that has some great tips: www.carmindy.com.  She also has a section on eyes: www.carmindy.com/tips/eyes.html.

Hope that helps!

-Ness 

BrideChica Posts : 2,300 Registered: 12/25/06
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 1:00 PM Go to message in response to: LochNessie

Carmindy also has a book that's great.  She tells you how to put makeup on, what brands to buy, shows what looks great on different skin tones,  and even has different looks (evening, retro, sunkissed)at the end of her book.  Its fairly new--your local library should have it.

JaniceO Posts : 980 Registered: 12/5/06
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 1:16 PM Go to message in response to: BrideChica

I have also seen a Makeup Makeover book for weddings by Robert Jones.  I flipped through it in Borders one time and he shows you all sorts of different eye looks and gives you instructions on how to achieve the look.  

If I was doing my own makeup I might have considered it.  But I rarely wear makeup.  So I found a professional to do both my hair and makeup.

-Janice 

Daisypath Ticker

Posted: Jul 15, 2007 5:37 PM Go to message in response to: JaniceO

Thanks everyone, those are all a great help!!! 

HLYflute Posts : 1,282 Registered: 2/5/07
Posted: Jul 17, 2007 7:06 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

There's a book that I used to help with my make up.  I can't remember what it's called, but they have it at Border's with the books about weddings, and it's all about how to do make up for your wedding day.  I was good on everything but the eyes also, so I looked at the books suggestions, and it really worked!  If I see the book next time I"m at Borders I'll write down the name and author and post back.  I didn't actually buy the book... just sat in the cafe and read the whole thing, then copied some of the diagrams into a little notebook... 

Posted: Jul 18, 2007 11:08 AM Go to message in response to: HLYflute

Thanks HLY! I'll keep an eye out myself!

Posted: Jul 18, 2007 2:31 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm doing the exact same thing as you - going to the Clinique counter, getting some tips, and buying the make-up to do myself. I figure that if I just buy the nice make-up (I normally wear stuff that's pretty cheap like CoverGirl) and learn how to do it myself, I'll be spending about the same amount of money or les AND I'll have the make-up left over and the knowledge to look smashing on the honeymoon! ( =

I'm looking for some good make-up tips books too. I think I'm pretty good with make-up, but I don't wear very much. I HATE getting my make up done professionally because I feel like they are going to poke me in the eye and afterwards I end up looking like a prostitute (at least - that has been my expreience. I am sure that there are gifted professionals out there. There have to be!) 

Anyway, I think it can be done, and I am excited! ( =

Posted: Jul 18, 2007 2:58 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I found the book that's been mentioned   Robert Jones is the make up artist.  I read like a gazillion positive reviews so I went and bought it online.  I'll let you kno whow it goes.  Hmmm, I just got an idea for a new thread.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine