Should I propose to him

Online Users: 1,294 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

modernchick Posts : 2 Registered: 7/3/07
Should I propose to him
Posted: Jul 3, 2007 11:34 PM

Ok...my guy and I have been dating for a while and are currently living together.  Over time, our talks have become more serious...about kids, plans to move to another state together and the other day we were in a bakery and he asked if they made wedding cakes.  We are always asking each other to "marry me." in a playful way.  I think we're ready but I know him...i know he hasn't asked because he can't afford a ring.  I wanna propose, but I don't wanna miss out on having an engagement ring... Would it be weird to purchase the setting I want and propose to him- the idea being that he then he could pick out the stone when he's ready?  It would be sort of a collaborative thing then...i suppose.

nicolesybrant Posts : 1,359 Registered: 10/4/06
Re: Should I propose to him
Posted: Jul 3, 2007 11:53 PM Go to message in response to: modernchick

I think that would be sweet!!!  Maybe get him a ring too?  I really like the idea.  Good luck!

Nicole, future wife to Aaron

December 29th, 2007 I marry my best friend...the one I laugh with, live for, and love!

FALLbrideINLOVE Posts : 1,056 Registered: 3/30/07
Posted: Jul 5, 2007 8:38 PM Go to message in response to: modernchick

if you propose to him i would make sure you both have rings

Posted: Jul 20, 2007 10:54 PM Go to message in response to: modernchick

Nothing wrong with that! I got engaged in May, and only after I told my boyfriend we should just go ahead and do it.  He wanted to, I just knew he was not the type to propose romantically.

Mercourier Posts : 2 Registered: 7/1/07
Posted: Jul 21, 2007 9:45 PM Go to message in response to: modernchick

I proposed to my fiance. We were in the same situation. Living together and he was always asking me playfully. One day, we were actually out to eat with his mother, it just seemed right and I leaned over and asked him. No ring, no real plan, just all the love in my heart... he asked me right back. Then the question of rings came up. I had my grandmother's wedding and engagement bands; we are resetting the stones from them. Maybe you can do the same? Or get him an engagement ring and purchase yours later? Figure out what is right for you and good luck! I hope to hear that you're engaged too!
Don't fret.

Posted: Jul 30, 2007 6:02 PM Go to message in response to: modernchick

I think that the idea of you proposing is wonderful!  Though my fiance was the one who proposed, he was rather self concious about not being able to buy me an expensive ring so I kind of understand the situation you are in.  Instead we bought each other white gold commitment bands.  I LOVE them and I love that he has worn a ring during our engagement as well!  We will be using the bands as our wedding rings as well because we picked them out together and everything.  And the fact that we save $ is a plus as well!!
Daisypath Ticker

MrsDupont Posts : 1,574 Registered: 4/14/06
Posted: Aug 1, 2007 1:26 PM Go to message in response to: modernchick

Why is it that Men put so much emphasis on the ring....

I took my ring to the jewler the next day to get it sized and the people remembered how nervous he was! 

I told my FH if he needed we could both go and get the ring and i would help pay for it... then he could surprise me one day!

even thought that didnt happen.... I am helping pay for it!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine