I need your help girls!!!!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 18
I need your help girls!!!!
Posted: Jun 27, 2007 10:59 AM

Hi all!!!  I can't wait to propose!  Ok... here is our story so far... We met and started dating almost a year ago, and since that moment we have known we are meant for eachother.  We talk about marriage non-stop, expecially how we can't wait to be married!  A few months ago we looked at rings and I got an idea what she liked!  So with all that said, she knows I am going to ask her, she just doesn't know how.  Now her family is very traditional, her dad is a pastor, we met in the church... so I want to respect them.  Problem is this.... her parents absolutly love me, they tell me everyday!  They have mentioned us getting married quite a bit and I have jokingly told her dad a few times that I would have to have his permission before asking his daughter to marry me, and he always laughs and says I don't need to do that, that I should know he approves.  So... now that I have the ring and am ready to ask the woman that I love more than anything in this world to marry me, do I need to talk to her parents and let them know what going on and get thier blessing or do I just get it over with, suprise my bride to be and her family.  Next question is do I do something simple or extravegent... I want to do something special like take her to dinner in a limo, pamper her, but she will know.  On the other hand I was thinking about just simply take her out for a picnic, we can BBQ at the park, bring some food to eat, some sparkling grape juice.. lol... we don't drink... and when she's least expecting it, get on one knee, and ask her if I can spend the rest of my life with her.  Then I will have a dozen roses to give to her in my trunk.  Then after eating that evening we have church, and after that a birthday party where all her family would be.  Should I do it then, so she can share with everyone her engagement and ring or do I do it when we have more time. 

PS... this ring is burning a hole in my pocket... I want to run to her house right now and propose, but that is dumb!! I want to do it tonight!!! 

The Joe Jack

Re: I need your help girls!!!!
Posted: Jun 27, 2007 11:15 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

You know your soon to be fiance better than anyone.  Is she the type of person that wants the pampering and the huge gesture?  Or is she more down to earth?  Will she appreciate the spontaneity of the casual proposal?  I will say this.  My sister was proposed to while hiking with her husband.  He kneeled down to get film for his camera.  She turned around and there was the ring.  Simple, very surprising, but VERY memorable.  Before my FH and I got engaged, I knew the ring was bought (we had it made).  I just didn't know when.  He proposed to me at a concert during the finale and it was wonderful. 

Long story longer.......I'd go for the surprise & do it when she least expects it. 

Good luck!!!

Anjie in SoCal

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Jun 27, 2007 11:32 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I say keep it simple and go for the surprise.  A little BBQ picnic would be lovely.  As for the parents, tell them just before you ask her.  Like, right before the two of you leave for the picnic, catch her dad in the kitchen and say "I just wanted to let you know first, I'm going to ask your daughter to marry me in about an hour"  This way, you're acknowledging the family.  Also, when you come back, everybody will be waiting with anticipation to celebrate! 

Now that I'm writing, you should maybe give him a little more time - this way they can plan a big party for when you get back from your excursion!

I always wondered if we'd ever get a guy on these forums asking for advice. . .this is sooooooo cool!

------------------------------------------------------------

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy." --Albert Einstein

amberstar Posts : 38 Registered: 6/17/06
Posted: Jun 27, 2007 11:39 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I think you should just do it!!!! If you know that you are that sure, just ask!!!!! congrats and good luck- keep us posted!!!!- amber*

Pamlin Posts : 958 Registered: 10/26/06
Posted: Jun 27, 2007 11:44 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

JoeJack, congratulations on finding your love!!

I agree with the other girls -you know your almost-fiancée the best.  what does she like?  If she's a shy type, public spectacles might not be the best idea...

I would totally ask the dad's permission (though if he can't keep a secret, do it the day before or the day of!) He's a pastor and an old fashioned type, so I think he'll totally respect you for doing it, no matter what he says.

One warning -whatever you do, don't make it too elaborate -things have a way of working out slightly differently, and if everything depends on a series of events happening "just so"  you're going to be even more stressed than you already will be. 

*G*  If you do plan on proposing before you go to church, you might want to see if they can put a tiny "Congratulations to  X & Y on their engagement this evening" in the program -just another cute little way of showing her how much you wanted the entire day, not just the moment- to be special.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!!

Pamlin

The wedding will be lovely, but it's the next day and every day after that makes me truly excited.

Posted: Jun 27, 2007 11:46 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Ok... this is my timeline.. it may not be enough time... I get off work at 4:30 and we have church at 7pm... thena birthday party right after church for my girlfriends cousin.  The reason today... because I want to do this more than anything... and... we are so busy she would never expect it...  But anyway... I leave work at 4:30 and get home a little before 5, run to the store, buy roses, and dinner, and dessert.  Go pick her up at her house... and tell her to go get her camera in her room.... as she's doing that I can go to her dad and tell him that I plan on asking Kim to marry me in about an hour!!!  Then we hop in the car go to the park, get there about 5:45... and start the BBQ, or should I just go buy some cooked food and just get it all set up... I guess it doesn't matter.  This is the funny part... we made a bet who could hold out the longest without treats, pop, etc... well when I pull out the dessert she will be like we can't... lol... then I can say something like, we deserve a little celebration!!! then get down on a knee, tell her why I love her so much and to be my wife.  We can kiss, prolly cry, and run to church... where her mom is supposed to be teaching our class... so she'll get to show and tell her mom first and then we have a party with all her family after so she can show off a lil!!!! What do u think???
The Joe Jack

MrsMcDAtLast Posts : 860 Registered: 1/1/07
Posted: Jun 27, 2007 2:53 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

That sounds really great! Please let us know how it goes! :)

love4greys Posts : 396 Registered: 1/22/07
Posted: Jun 27, 2007 10:21 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

JoeJack,

You describing your timeline for tonight reminds me of how my fiance must have been the night of our engagment!  He had several people throughout the day keeping me occupied so that I wouldn't go home and see the wonderful surprise he had waiting!  I loved that it was a surprise and I would have known if he had made a big elaborate deal of the night because he never does things like that!  Congratulations!  I hope everything goes as you imagined!

Posted: Jun 28, 2007 12:37 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

We are engaged!!!!!!!   WooHoo!!!

Here is how it happened!  We have been talking about marriage for a while now... we looked at rings together... she knew it was coming... but not when.  So I got off work early and went to her Dad's work to wait until he got off work.  When he walked outside I told him how much I loved his daughter, and asked for his blessing to ask Kim to marry me.  He said of course, and he knows I am a good man, actually he called me a Godsend.  So after getting his blessing I flew to the store and bought some food, chicken, rolls, potato salad, sparkling grape juice (we don't drink)... and a little celebration cake...  I put it all in a cooler, grabbed my picnic basket and picked her up at her house.  Her mom and brothers were there, one of whom was just visiting and got there earlier that day from college.  Her dad knew what was going on but didn't say anything.   So We hopped in the car and asked her what park she wanted to go to... and she said she wanted to go to the park where we played in the snow for the first time, a smaller park, but we had some fun memories there.  So then I layed out the table cloth, got all the food out, and told her how much I loved her.  We started serving the food, and I poured us some sparkling juice in champagne glasses.  We were having a blast, smiling at each other, feeding eachother, it was fun, but I was FREAKING!!!! lol... Then I took out the cake (she laughed because we are on a no sweet/candy/pop bet... whoever eats first loses....) and she was like we can't have that... and I said it was a celebration cake, and gave her a bite.  Then I asked her to stand up... I walked her over to the side of the table... and looked into her eyes... told her how much I loved her... and asked her if I could spend the rest of my life with her... then I started to drop to my knee... she was like your kidding... and I asked her to be my wife... she immediately started balling and managed to squeek out a yes.  She was so beautiful!  I was trembling when I was putting the ring on her finger... Then we just stared at eachother and kept saying how happy we were, and how weird it feels... We were ecstatic!  Then we packed up all the food, and headed for church... she got to show her mom... she was so excited... and gave me a hug and not Kim... it was funny... and her dad was like... I knew first, haha!!  After church we went to her cousin's house for her cousin's b-day.  I had told her cousin earlier what I was going to do, so her and her mom already knew.  Everyone was asking how it happened, and was so happy for us.  Her Aunt, Uncle, and cousin got us a congrats cake and gave us our first engagement card!!! Thanks guys!!!  I couldn't have asked for the night to go any better!!! It was perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is just a first of many unforgettable experiences, I can't wait for the rest!!!

The Joe Jack

66nova Posts : 346 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jul 1, 2007 3:33 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

WOW!  CONGRATS!  I was reading how it happened and I could see it clearly... even made me tear up a bit.  I'm so happy everything went perfect.  You should show her this thread so she could see how the night came to be, and that we too were waiting to hear about it.  I think she might like that.

PS - Please come back and let us know how things are going.  Have fun!

Our Wedding Page:  www.theknot.com/ourwedding/JanetSaenz&BenjaminMcDaniel

My MySpace Page:  www.myspace.com/chevy2rage  

Pamlin Posts : 958 Registered: 10/26/06
Posted: Jul 1, 2007 10:01 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Congratulations!!!!  That's so wonderful!!!

Now sit back and enjoy the engagement for a while before plunging into wedding details...

Pamlin

The wedding will be lovely, but it's the next day and every day after that makes me truly excited.

MrsMcDAtLast Posts : 860 Registered: 1/1/07
Posted: Jul 1, 2007 3:48 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I just want to say how wonderful it sounds like your proposal turned out, and congratulations! :)

LochNessie Posts : 1,631 Registered: 4/2/07
Posted: Jul 2, 2007 12:08 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Congratulations!  It sounds like you guys are great for each other. :)

-Ness 

HIltonsDGBRIDE09 Posts : 40 Registered: 6/21/07
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 12:10 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hey Joe Jack,

I think that it is cute that u just can't wait...either one would be...nice..when I got purpose I was pampered...and I loved it but it was just the two of us...Sometimes I wish that we would have been around more people that day...to share the day with!! I would go with BBQ...because this way you can have your alone time..but then still share your special day with everyone else!!

HOpe this helps! Good Luck~!

NightfallenRain Posts : 120 Registered: 7/23/07
Posted: Aug 5, 2007 6:22 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

congratulations!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine