egagement gift for him

Online Users: 1,326 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 9

bluefairy Posts : 4 Registered: 6/23/07
egagement gift for him
Posted: Jun 23, 2007 7:36 PM

I know bf is getting my ring done, he's being on purpose not discreet:) we're among the many of you who talk about many logistics of the wedding but have not yet done the official proposal.

My q is, should I get him something too? I'd like to, but im not sure what. he's got many cufflings and wears them rarely. and he's not into fancy watches.  i'd like the gift to be something that is tangible (so not a trip or tickets to smth), plus a gift which stays forever. any ides?

thanx in advance! 

Re: egagement gift for him
Posted: Jun 25, 2007 7:09 PM Go to message in response to: bluefairy

nonody?

really no one?:( 

lmc07 Posts : 271 Registered: 1/4/07
Posted: Jun 26, 2007 7:02 AM Go to message in response to: bluefairy

Hi bluefairy!

It's very sweet of you to think of your bf! I have never heard of giving bf/FH something on that occasion. Maybe you could surprise him with a dinner at a fancy restaurant? Or give him something that he has always in his wallet, so you are "close" to him while his at work - like a (small) picture of you (specially made for this occasion)?

Posted: Jun 26, 2007 9:11 PM Go to message in response to: lmc07

thx Imc07, i'm beginning to realise it is not custom...

so I might have more trouble than I thought coming up with this gift as not many people are able to advise me....

on the other hand..isn't it strange?

shouldn't an engagement be a 2way gift giving occasion?  Smile

lmc07 Posts : 271 Registered: 1/4/07
Posted: Jun 27, 2007 3:44 AM Go to message in response to: bluefairy

It's not custom, that's true. But why not change traditions??

My FH wears this leather string around his neck with a little charm on it - you know snowboard/surfer style, if you know what I mean.Wink So if I was in your position, I would give him a new charm for his leather string. We also gave each other friendship rings long before the engagement and he is still wearing his (simple silver ring). Maybe that would be something your bf would like?

shouldn't an engagement be a 2way gift giving occasion?

Well, I would not say that and I do not think that your bf is expecting anything but a YES from you. That's probably the biggest gift you can give him on that occasion. Wink

What are the interests of you bf? Maybe there is something he would love to have? You do not have to give him the gift right after he proposed, but what about the next morning? I bet he will be surprised and happy to have you as his soon-to-be-wife!!!!

Posted: Jun 28, 2007 3:27 PM Go to message in response to: lmc07

I did something similar to what you are saying. I actually had no idea that he was going to ask me, but after we set the date (July 28th), I gave him a gift every 28th since November. Like one month I made him a mini scrapbook, one month I gave him a "coupon book" ;o) , one month I made him dinner (sent invitation to him in mail and had a "3 Months Til I Do" cake made, one month I got him some swim trunks and flip flops for our honeymoon, and this month (the last one!! :o) I got him two really nice Banana Republic boxer briefs for our honeymoon and a bottle of the new KY they are advertising. I love doing something special for him and I like to find unique ways to give them to him. Like one day I had my dad take it to work with him because he and FH work together. And he spent so much time and effort and put so much love into shopping for my ring that I like him knowing how appreciative and excited I am :o)
Daisypath Ticker 

eshields14 Posts : 5 Registered: 6/28/07
Posted: Jun 28, 2007 7:24 PM Go to message in response to: bluefairy

I think getting him an engagement gift is a great idea! I also really liked the idea of giving him a gift every month on the date you got engaged!  I think I will start that. But I also wanted to give you another idea. Does he have a hobby?  For instance my FH races his car so I was going to give him a gift cert. to have a professional drive give him lessons.  I hope this helps!

Posted: Jul 10, 2007 5:29 PM Go to message in response to: eshields14

thanks Everyone for sharing your thoughts:)

his hobby is photography, but all xmas and bdays are already photography related presents, i feel the topic is pretty much exploited and would prefer to make the engagement gift a little more extra ordinary, not in price meaning, just different field.  

I'm still thinking about the perfect gift...and i know it'll come to me...probably by accident:) and probably at a different time then the actual ring giving...i'm still not in the loop when it will take place!:D  july we're long distance and on top 6h of difference (time zones) so even speaking is limited...great scenario for mystery plans haha!

i'll let you know when I come up with it...but if you have new ideas keep 'em coming!:)

LucyBride Posts : 3 Registered: 7/11/07
Posted: Jul 11, 2007 2:37 PM Go to message in response to: bluefairy

Why not give him a ring as well?

My fiance and I are both getting engagement rings- he says after the wedding he'll wear his on a chain around his neck. We went ring shopping together and he found a titanium band that he absolutely loves. There are lots of gorgeous men's rings out there.

I totally agree that engagement should be a two-way gift giving event. Since we're equal parts of this relationship and equally excited about the wedding, I don't see why gifts should only go one way. I'm sure you'll come up with something perfect!         

Posted: Jul 17, 2007 9:45 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

What great and thoughtful ideas!!  I love it and think that I am going to use your idea if you don't mind!  I've been thinking the same thing, that I really want to show him how much I love him and am looking forward to our lives together, what a great way to start!  Thanks so much Future - good luck!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine