What does fondant taste like?

Online Users: 1,368 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 20

meaganandnathan Posts : 25 Registered: 5/20/07
What does fondant taste like?
Posted: Jun 22, 2007 4:19 PM

I love the look of a fondant cake but I have heard that it tastes awful. What are your opinions - can you describe what it tastes like? pasty? We are going cake shopping sometime soon and I would just like to have an idea before hand.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
imghttp://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;116/st/20080524/e/Our+wedding%21/dt/11/k/c5a7/event.png[/img]
[/url]

Re: What does fondant taste like?
Posted: Jun 22, 2007 4:23 PM Go to message in response to: meaganandnathan

It's very sugary, and thick....although I don't think it's supposed to be, the fondant I tasted was somewhat grainy.  I paid $250 for my buttercream cake (feeds 300), but if it would have bee with fondant, it was going to be $750...:(

PALMETTOMOON Posts : 532 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: Jun 22, 2007 4:37 PM Go to message in response to: meaganandnathan

It doesn't really TASTE like anything, but the texture is what you notice...kind of chewy and different, but not necessarily bad.  Maybe there are flavored fondants out there, but I've not ever had any that tastes like much.

www.mywedding.com/lizandkevin

MrsMcDAtLast Posts : 860 Registered: 1/1/07
Posted: Jun 22, 2007 4:46 PM Go to message in response to: meaganandnathan

None of the fondant I've had was sweet. It didn't have much flavor at all, and felt like I was biting into a piece of wax. I don't personally care for it at all.

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Jun 22, 2007 5:01 PM Go to message in response to: meaganandnathan

In my opinion, like sugared wax.  I love the look of fondant cakes as well, but EVERY fondant cake I've ever had (from both expensive and inexpensive cakes) have resulted in me peeling off the fondant and eating the buttercream and cake underneath it.

Fondant does look better in pictures, however.  I chose a fairly simple cake with white icing, however, and decided to forgo the fondant.

I've heard that there is different types of fondant. . .if you love the look, definately try it with different bakers - there might be some who can produce a better-tasting fondant than others. . .

------------------------------------------------------------

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy." --Albert Einstein

Posted: Jun 22, 2007 5:11 PM Go to message in response to: meaganandnathan

I thought it tasted somewhat like candy. .

MelissaJuneBrid... Posts : 698 Registered: 3/13/07
Posted: Jun 25, 2007 10:04 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I think it depends on the fondant you taste...I tried fondant that was very sweet and thick. But my mom and I were both surprised when we actually LIKED the taste of it. It was homemade and pretty good. Try some different places if you really like the look.

MelissaSmile

litlbit Posts : 192 Registered: 1/19/07
Posted: Jun 28, 2007 1:02 AM Go to message in response to: meaganandnathan

The fondant I tasted wasn't horrible, but it wasn't the tastiest thing either.  If your reception is indoors (where buttercream won't melt) a good baker can smooth the buttercream to look similar to fondant.

Posted: Jul 1, 2007 9:30 PM Go to message in response to: litlbit

The key to fondant is to find out if your decorator makes her own.  With commercially made fondant it is hard to control the taste, with homemade fondant your decorator can literally make a fondant that will accentuate your cake.  I just made a strawberry fondant to go with a chocolate cake filled with white chocolate strawberry mousse.  It was DELICIOUS.  It truly makes ALL the difference.

Rachel

supergeekgirl Posts : 130 Registered: 6/10/06
Posted: Jul 12, 2007 5:27 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I really like fondant, but a lot of people don't.  It tastes a lot like marzipan (really sugary but little flavor besides that).  I don't know anyone who doesn't like buttercream icing, though!  I'd go with that if it's cheaper because it tastes better, and they can do most simple designs with buttercream.  Yum... calories!  Fondant is best used for accent.

True geek love...  8-)(-8

Visit our website!

Nema Posts : 40 Registered: 8/22/07
Posted: Sep 6, 2007 3:08 AM Go to message in response to: meaganandnathan

I am making my own cake. I plan on trying both store-bought fondant (which I can buy at Wal-mart) and trying different recipes I fould online (just use google).
faith_0422

Posted: Sep 6, 2007 11:43 PM Go to message in response to: meaganandnathan

Do not buy Wilton fondant - it is really bad......

There are other types that may be suitable but still not a lot of flavor - Chocopan is one type. I personally would rather have buttercream any day.

The secret to making buttercream look like fondant....

Apply buttercream on cooled cakes (I actually freeze mine overnight & then let them set out for a couple hours before icing) & let it set for about 2 hours. Using "Viva" paper towels - they are the only ones without a honeycomb pattern - use a fondant smoother you can putrchase for about $4 at any WalMart, Michaels, or JoAnns - gently rub the smoother over the top of the paper towel on the icing in circles. Starting on the top then the sides. It turns out looking just like fondant if you are patient :-)

IndyCindy

Posted: Sep 7, 2007 12:15 AM Go to message in response to: meaganandnathan

http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/ff96/choesman/?action=view&current=cake0001.jpg

My daughter's cake I made using buttercream icing.

IndyCindy

Message was edited by IndyCIndy on Sep 7, 2007 12:16 AM

Message was edited by IndyCIndy on Sep 7, 2007 12:18 AM

Posted: Oct 2, 2007 5:34 PM Go to message in response to: meaganandnathan

I'm a cake decorator and I use fondant i use fondant in almost all of my cakes.

Never use Wilton ready made fondant. It tastes terrible. Very waxy.

Brands that taste good: Satin Ice (delicious), pettinice and chocopan. (in decending order of flavor)

There is also a way of making it homemade with marshmellows. This is called marshmellow fondant. Most bakeries do not make their own fondant.

: )

carebearny1999 Posts : 1,253 Registered: 9/21/07
Posted: Oct 2, 2007 6:04 PM Go to message in response to: meaganandnathan

My brother's new MIL is a baker, she made their cake.  She told me you're not supposed to eat the fondant.  She had a layer of buttercream under it and they peeled off the fondant before cutting it.  Perhaps she meant just the fondant she used--is there a good tasting edible fondant out there?!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine