Where does the cake table go??

Online Users: 1,273 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

tanalynn Posts : 491 Registered: 3/28/06
Where does the cake table go??
Posted: Jun 17, 2007 3:35 AM

Okay so I am up exactly 6 weeks from my wedding at 2:30 in the morning worried about where I am going to put the cake table and the candy table.

I thought about putting the cake table in the center of the room since my table will be in a horseshoe shape probably, where everyone could see. In all the pics I see I see it by a wall. I am thinking of putting the candy table in a corner but cannot decide. Everyone tell me what they are doing so I can get some ideas.

Re: Where does the cake table go??
Posted: Jun 17, 2007 8:19 AM Go to message in response to: tanalynn

Mine will be against one wall of the room, fairly easily visible to all the guests.  The reason being, I think it reduces the risk of someone walking by not paying attention and bumping my cake, or knocking the table over.  I also have a mirrored wall which I may center it on, so that guests can see the back as well without climbing all around it.  I don't have many little kids or unstable elderly, but I do have a few.  And I've seen too many episodes of Wedding Crashers knocking things over.  I only picked that because of safety for the cake.  I dunno why others put it against a wall or in the corner.  I do like your center idea because of the horseshoe - I think it would be neat! 

Gothicprincess Posts : 192 Registered: 3/3/07
Posted: Jun 17, 2007 9:13 AM Go to message in response to: tanalynn

we just went over this with our venue manager and we have decided to have the cake table off to the side of the bridal table that way everyone can see it but it wont be in the way of dancing and people walking around the tables.
YAY NO MORE SLEEPS!! finally in my mans arms again....THE BEST PLACE TO BE

lesolie Posts : 82 Registered: 1/6/07
Posted: Jun 17, 2007 9:19 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I have seen the cake tables done both ways. i do agree that it may get bumped a lot if it is in the middle of the floor. I am putting my in the corner opposite to us. that we when guest walk in they will see us and the cake. i am putting my candy table by the bar. i thought it would be somewhere  that everyone would see it and it was really the only place  that there was room for. also, before you get to gung-ho about  the candy buffet, you may want to talk to your hall about it. our reception hall at first said no because of all of the open food, and the homemade stuff(my cousins are making mints that my aunt said she would make for the wedding before she passed) so she pulled some strings and we labled it as a "favor table" and we aren't bringing in the handmade candy(that they know of).

Posted: Jun 18, 2007 1:32 PM Go to message in response to: tanalynn

Our room was set up so the bridal table was straight and centered in the middle of the back wall. Directly in front of the bridal table was the dance floor. There were ten tables on either side of the dance floor. If you walked into the hall through the center set of doors, the DJ was immediately to your right and you were ten steps from the dance floor. We put our cake table in the middle of the dance floor. The exact center of the room. When the DJ announced the bridal party, they walked past it and sat down. When DH and I were announced, we walked up to it, cut it, then sat down for toasts and dinner. During dinner, the wait staff carried the cake to the back to be cut and served. We liked it this way because everyone was able to see the cake, see the cutting ceremony, and we got it out of the way early (there is another thread on here about being kind to your guests, and a lot of people said they have been to weddings that the cake was never cut or took forever. There was no worrying about that). We wanted to get the Pomp and Circumstance done early so guests could leave when they wanted to and not feel the need to hang around and wait for us to dance or cut cake. The way we did it allowed everyone the chance to see the cake during the cocktail hour, and we didn't need to have the DJ announce "The bride and groom will cut the cake in 5 minutes." "Ladies and Gentlemen, make your way to the cake table to see them cut the cake." "The bride and groom will now cut the cake." I hate when they do that, it's like they are herding your guests.

Posted: Jun 18, 2007 3:08 PM Go to message in response to: tanalynn

You can place your cake table pretty much anywhere you like as long as you consider a couple factors. One, that it's not in everyone's "way" and will be continuously bumped. And two, when you and your FH are standing BEHIND it cutting the cake, can all of your guests see you clearly from their viewing point? Wih those two things in mind, I would say it's just a personal decision. Good luck with wherever you choose to display it! I'm sure it will look fantastic! Laughing

Posted: Jun 22, 2007 10:38 PM Go to message in response to: tanalynn

For our wedding, we had 2 buffet lines because we had so many people.  The buffet lines were near a wall and the cake table was in between the two buffet lines.  If you were looking at the wall, it went buffet line, cake table, buffet line.  I liked that set up because each guest was able to see the cake as they were walking away from the buffet lines.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine