late evening wedding- dessert bar or buffet-style meal?

Online Users: 1,248 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 11
late evening wedding- dessert bar or buffet-style meal?
Posted: Jun 17, 2007 3:12 AM

I've been contemplating what to do with my reception for a while now. Ever since drawing up the budget I've come up with two options, both with minimal catering needs. 

I'm planning my ceremony for 7 pm and for the reception to start at 8pm, so it's either a dessert bar or a full-on buffet.

My guests will mostly be coming out of town, is it tacky to make them feed themselves right before the wedding? I really have my heart set on a dessert bar (complete with chocolate fountain! yes I know that's hazardous with a dress, lol), but my mom made a negative comment about people not knowing where to eat in my town and that got me thinking. 

If I went with the dessert bar, I'd make a note in my invitations that "dessert will be served at the reception" something like that, so no one misunderstands and goes hungry. If I go with a meal, people would be hungry way before the wedding, waiting for the ceremony to get over so they can get to food.

What's the best option for this? Moving the times up isn't really an option, as I'm having a summer outdoors wedding and it's wicked hot until about 6 pm (when FH and I will be doing photos). If I went with a meal, a lot of other things would have to be cut out of the budget. 

Input is greatly appreciated! 

Christina D... no... B.!!!!

Re: late evening wedding- dessert bar or buffet-style meal?
Posted: Jun 20, 2007 10:14 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I would go with a dessert bar.  I would hate to wait that long for dinner. On the invite I would state "Dessert reception to follow".

YUM!

Posted: Jun 20, 2007 6:18 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I like the idea of just dessert at that time of day. But if you want to appease your mom, why don't you serve just some snacks, not a full meal. Then state "hors d'oeuvres to follow." Still cost effective, and you can still have a chocolate fountain and desserts.

Message was edited by KSS on Jun 20, 2007 6:18 PM

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jun 21, 2007 8:33 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'd do the dessert reception--I've been to a couple that were fabulous. If anything, I'd make the time somewhat later (7:30 or 8 PM ceremony), so there's no doubt about dinner--and, yes, do put on your invites, something like, "Dessert and Dancing to Follow the Ceremony."

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

Posted: Jun 29, 2007 5:51 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

go with the dessert bar. I was thinking of doing the same thing after I saw an article in a Modern Bride magazine _

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Jun 29, 2007 5:55 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I once heard a story of a desert reception, and then, around midnight, after people had been dancing for a while, the waitstaff put out sandwiches and it was a huge hit.

If you do a desert bar, see if you can put out some non-sweet yummy things too, like maybe fruit and cheeses.  As a guest, I would love that.

------------------------------------------------------------

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy." --Albert Einstein

Posted: Jul 2, 2007 5:59 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Why not serve veggies, fruits, cheese, meats, and rolls with your desserts?

Leslie

I'm so happy that I get the honor of marrying such a wonderful man.

Posted: Jan 20, 2008 11:37 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

This is exactly what we are thinking about doing (and worried about)! We have a lot of his relatives coming from out of town, so we were worried what guests would do for dinner since we are in a tiny town with only 3 restaurants. But I think it won't be a problem if we list the places to eat on our website, and then provide light appetizers with the desserts.

Do you think the older and younger aged guests will have problems with a late evening wedding? (Ceremony 8 - 9, reception starts right after until 11:30).

Thanks for all the great ideas everyone.

Posted: Jan 20, 2008 3:04 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

The whole "secret" with this kind of reception is to let people know what's happening so they can be prepared. If they have your times for the events and your invitation specifies what type of reception (e.g. dessert) it will be, most of them will have the sense (we hope!!) to either feed themselves (and the kids) before they leave home, carry some snacks, or grab something in town. If elderly relatives have a problem with the timing, then they'll probably stay home or leave early, and those with young kids might hire babysitters or leave early, as well. If you're expecting lots of youngsters, then you might think of providing a babysitter and perhaps a room where they can "crash" if they get tired and cranky. That way, parents will be able to have fun and drive home later. By the way, my husband and I are "older" and we have been know to be able to stay awake past 11:30 LOL!

Jillybean626 Posts : 5 Registered: 1/15/07
Posted: Jan 25, 2008 10:03 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Christina, I swear we are in the same boat!  I have been back and forth over whether to have a dessert bar for my 7:30pm reception. This thread has given me some great insights. And honestly, who could complain with delicious desserts?  Plus, the people you invite should be coming to celebrate your marriage, not critique the food :)

Posted: Apr 17, 2008 11:44 AM Go to message in response to: Jillybean626

I'm considering a dessert bar as well.  My issue is my ceremony site is booked after 3pm, so I have to have a much earlier ceremony than planned, i was thinking 1:00.  And the ceremony is so close to the reception that it would just be easier for everyone if we had the reception to immediately follow the ceremony.  So do we serve a full meal around 2:00/2:30 or would a dessert bar be more appropriate?  How early would the party start to die down.  I went to a wedding at 11 in the morning, reception (with full meal) immediately after, but the party died quickly after dinner.  we were out of there around 2 i think.  I dont want that to happen, i want to dance the night away! any ideas?
DaisypathWedding Ticker"

Posted: Apr 18, 2008 1:15 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Most receptions last no more than about four hours. If you wish to dance the night away, why not plan an "after-party" with your own age group? Take a break, change, then go to a club or bar and have fun.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine