How to decorate

Online Users: 1,297 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6
How to decorate
Posted: May 21, 2007 2:29 PM

I am having an outdoor wedding.  All of that is planned.  However, the reception will be held outdoors as well.  There are no buildings to have the reception in so we are having it on the tennis court.  Part will be a dance floor and the other food and tables.  Colors are red and black.  How in the world do you decorate a tennis court for a wedding reception?  HELP!

Re: How to decorate
Posted: May 21, 2007 2:44 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

My suggestion would be to first simply ignore the fact that it IS a tennis court! Decorate it as though it were any other outdoor reception affair. If you can rent a tent, set it up as you would in any other outdoor setting. If that's not an option, then contact a rental store and see what they have available for outdoor receptions. Some strategically placed lighted trees for dramatic effect; strung wedding lights or paper lanterns. Go online and check out other outdoor wedding decorating ideas to see if you can come up with some ideas that would incorporate your wedding colors! Google outdoor wedding reception decorations. I'm sure there are tons of ideas you can come up with if you see some visuals to go off of! Good luck!

Posted: May 21, 2007 4:58 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Is it fenced in? If so, what type of fence is it? Chainlink, wooden, etc.? If it is a Chain link fence, I would weave White christmas lights in it, and if you can afford it drape tulle or another sheer material over that. It will help camoflage the fence. If material is not in the budget, the lights should help anyway. Other than that, I don't think decorating the tennis court would be any different than any other outdoor reception, or any indoor reception for that matter (the fence is sort of like walls creating an outdoor room, does that make sense?)

If your tennis court doesn't have fences, then decorate like any other outdoor wedding and your lucky with a flat surface you won't have to worry about uneven ground and tipsy tables.

litlbit Posts : 192 Registered: 1/19/07
Posted: May 22, 2007 1:16 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Another lighting option is paper lanterns.  You can string wire from different poles/trees/fences and hang them from there, or even directly from trees if they're available.  There are also luminarias (the paper bags filled with sand and a candle).  The fun thing about those is you can get your monogram or something cut into them.  Or sheperds' hooks that you stick in the ground and hang lanterns, or candles (in small bowls) from.

SocalGal Posts : 456 Registered: 6/3/06
Posted: May 22, 2007 2:26 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Have there been receptions there before?  If so, talk to the site manager, and see if she has any pictures of what oher people have done.  You might see some ideas that you wouldn't have thought of on your own, or that don't seem like they would work, but actually turn out beautifully.  And I agree with the other poster that said to stop thinking about it as a tennis court, and just be glad that you automatically have a level surface.  However, if it's the look of the court itself that you don't like, and you have wiggle room in your budget, consider renting flooring from an event production company.  I've seen everything from carpet, to wood, to black and white checkers.  Just keep an open mind, and you'll think of something!

It just keeps getting closer.....

Posted: Jun 5, 2007 9:59 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I am also considering holding my wedding recepition on a tennis court.  Can you please tell me how many people and tables you expect to fit on the court?  I'm trying to convince my fiancee that we will be able to fit everyone!

Posted: Jun 6, 2007 11:25 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

We are having 150 people with 6 people to a table - that is 25 tables - I have measured and can fit these on 1/2 of the Court and use the other half for dance floor and DJ

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine