Decorating Staircase....help!

Online Users: 1,270 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 11
Decorating Staircase....help!
Posted: May 6, 2007 6:36 PM

I need serious help decorating this staircase that I will be walking down during the ceremony.

Any ideas are helpful, my colors are like a honeydew melon and cantaloupe sort of green and orange. But white would be fine as well.

Re: Decorating Staircase....help!
Posted: May 6, 2007 7:51 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Looking at the picture, I can imagine wide ribbon in your colors twining down the handrails on either side and maybe a spray of flowers on the front side of the middle where the girls are standing.

Posted: May 6, 2007 7:51 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Looking at the picture, I can imagine wide ribbon in your colors twining down the handrails on either side and maybe a spray of flowers on the front side of the middle where the girls are standing.

RMB0414 Posts : 1,386 Registered: 8/2/06
Posted: May 6, 2007 8:08 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

White tulle wrapped with white lights always looks amazing, if you have an electrical outlet available.  You could do that and then that spray of flowers in the middle like she mentioned.  You could also add the bows in your colors with flowers behind them (sort of like what they do at churches on the pews) and put them down the staircases. 
Daisypath Ticker

MiJoMy Posts : 245 Registered: 2/15/07
Posted: May 6, 2007 9:13 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm sorry, I don't really have any orignal ideas about what to do. I just had to post because I am SO FREAKIN HAPPY that someone else is doing green and orange. I think this will look so good for a summer wedding but everyone thinks I am nuts. My whole wedding is fruit based, so I kept saying "oranges and green apples" but now I am so going to start saying honeydew melon and cantaloupe. Yea!

heheh

Seriously though, if you don't want them entiwined them maybe hanging from each rail and weighted at the bottom

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: May 6, 2007 10:39 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I have several staircase pics that I can send you. One actually uses citrus with greenery to decorate the rail.You also could do a version of pew cones, spacing them out at intervals along the railing. Or, as above, ribbons would be beautiful. I'd hang them straight down and let them wave in the breeze (I can send you a pic of a gazebo that looks like that). For pics, contact me through my website.

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

BenjaminsWife Posts : 1,069 Registered: 1/11/07
Posted: May 8, 2007 4:44 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I defintely like the tulle and white lights idea.

Maybe find tulle in the colors that match your wedidng colors and kind twist them as you go down the stairs.

I did that for my engagment party...in hot pink and white

The Big Day: 9/20/08

Posted: May 8, 2007 9:17 PM Go to message in response to: BenjaminsWife

I personally don't like tulle (I think it looks tacky... no offense... I'm probably not girlie enough for it or something....) But I also do have to admit that I have seen tulle done right and it looks good.

ME personally, I love the natural setting combined with the natural wood. I would get long ivy garlands and spiral wrap them all the way across (at the top, on the hand railing part), from end to end and all the way down the stairs. Then I would get either your florist or buy some silks in your wedding flowers... I'm picturing small white flowers lightly scattered (actually, strategically placed to be spaced apart but just "look" scattered) along the entire length and then some of the orange colored flowers at the two top posts and two bottom posts.

Maybe even a pomander (one of those big flower balls) to hang from the center to fill up some of the dead space (or you could hang your initials or something perhaps, or a wreath just in the center of the floor area on that platform)

Finally, I would get rose petals and put them on the ground creating a "path" from each side of the stairs, coming together in the center to form the wedding aisle

Posted: May 9, 2007 6:54 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Thanks girls : )
I have to agree with jamiesbabydoll on the tulle.
Not a big fan of tulle, guess I've just seen it one too
many times in tacky weddings.

Posted: May 18, 2007 9:40 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Okay. In trying to be affordable but not tacky...

I was thinking about draping cream colored fabric. (about the way you would drape tulle, but seeing as I don't like tulle...)

I was thinking muslin. Am I COMPLETLY losing my mind with the muslin? I mean it's cheap, and my wedding has sort of a rustic, country feel so I don't think it would look TOO out of place.

And I think it would be more tasteful than tulle.

And I was thinking of putting a green hydrangea wreath in the center of the staircase on the outside.

What do you think?

kittyfk Posts : 119 Registered: 2/18/07
Posted: May 18, 2007 11:56 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

JamiesBabydoll read my mind about the ivy.  But if you like the muslin, go with it...very "naturalistic" with the wood...

I think I agree with you two on the tulle, but I need to play with it to be sure.

Jamiesbabydoll made me think...the center does need something.  I think a reef is a really, really good idea.  Maybe mostly green hydrangeas with some little touches of the canteloup color.

Good luck!  I'd love to see what you come up with...especially as I have a (very different) staircase to decorate, too!

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: May 19, 2007 3:37 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Muslin sounds really nice, and so does the wreath. Maybe you could use something very rustic, like raffia, to tie up the muslin and the wreath. A couple of containers (let's see, old barrels, pails, tubs, something rustic) of green hydrangea at the ends of the staircase would be nice accents, and these could be moved to the reception, so you have a "twofer'" out of them.

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine