Real flowers on a wedding cake

Online Users: 1,251 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10
Real flowers on a wedding cake
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 2:07 PM

This may sound like a stupid question, but I wanted to have a plain wedding cake made, and arrange real flowers and petals on it myself.  Is there any special preparation or such for the flowers before putting it on a cake?  Is it safe to eat after the flowers are laid on it?  And when you cut the pieces, do the guests just take the flowers off themselves?  I am wedding illiterate.  lol

litlbit Posts : 192 Registered: 1/19/07
Re: Real flowers on a wedding cake
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 2:20 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

A couple things to think about...

A.  are you going to have time to arrange the petals and flowers yourself?  You're going to be getting ready for your wedding!  I wouldn't want one more thing to worry about.

B.  yes, some flowers are poisonous or may not stand up well over time.  You could ask a florist for recommendations.  Or you could do a few silk instead of real.

C.  most reception venues (and caterers) will cut and serve the cake for you.  Check into your vendor.  If they do this they willl take the flowers off themselves and save your guests the task.

I hope this helps!

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Apr 15, 2007 3:16 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Real flowers on your cake are a gorgeous and economical choice. Just make sure that the flowers are organic (unsprayed with pesticide) and edible. In some supermarket produce departments, you even can find flowers that are all ready to use in salads or for cakes. I agree that you might not want to do this yourself, since it's a last minute kind of deal. Are you using a florist? Most florists will do last minute cake decor for you. Or, they will decorate around the cake instead of right on it. Or, try to delegate the job to someone you trust (you can do a sketch or diagram, so all the person has to do is follow it). Even the cake baker may take on this chore. As for removing flowers, it's probably best done right before the cake is served to your guests.

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

Posted: Apr 16, 2007 4:11 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Go for it!  Just make sure they're not toxic.  Roses and hydrangeas are okay   Cool

RockysGirl Posts : 1,125 Registered: 10/24/06
Posted: Apr 16, 2007 4:32 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hahahaha! I just called my supplier to make sure my flowers are going to be safe to put on the cake and he said yes......but don't eat them because we are not authorized to sell food!  I'm doing tulips on the cake though.  I would say that if you are doing it yourself:

A.  Designate a trusted person to put the flowers on for you.  That way you don't have to stress about it.

B. The bigger flowers with stems I would immagine you would have to remove just to cut the cake.  Leave the seperate petals and such though.  People don't want to watch you pick all of the little peices off of their cake.  It's like you playing with their food.

Posted: Jun 21, 2007 7:52 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I also wanted to point out that you should only put the flowers on right before your reception, because the flowers will soak up the moisture in the cake.  You do not want to leave them on overnight, and have a disgusting wedding cake the next day.

Posted: Jun 21, 2007 7:57 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

One option for nonedible flowers is to dip the stem or the base of the flower in wax and then stick it in the cake. 

I know roses, carnations, and pansies are edible,  

Here are some websites regarding edible flowers

http://whatscookingamerica.net/EdibleFlowers/EdibleFlowersMain.htm

http://whatscookingamerica.net/EdibleFlowers/EdibleFlowersMain.htm

http://www.culinarycafe.com/Flowers/

11.11.07 I marry my best friend. Who said all angels are in heaven?

LadyBugBride Posts : 533 Registered: 4/14/06
Posted: Jun 21, 2007 8:22 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

This was our cake (we just finished the top layer on Monday). I believe the servers took the flowers out before the slices were served. The roses were placed in the cake about an hour and a half before the reception started because our cake decorator assembled the cake and put the flowers in at the site.

Daisypath Ticker

Posted: Jun 22, 2007 2:10 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I love the look of real fresh flowers.. especially for my wedding.. and that includes my cake! To me, presentation is very important :)

Here's a pic of my cake, am having it made similar, except the dark maroon/black flower.

I'm not saying fake flowers are bad.. but since i can afford it, all the better :D

5th Jan 2008> My Big Day! Mrs Maclaine-Cross tobe :D

Posted: Jun 22, 2007 7:48 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

My wedding planner suggested fresh flowers on our cake.  She mentioned roses and orchids.  Our florist will be taking care of making the cake topper.  I love the look of fresh flowers on a cake.  I've eaten cakes that had flowers on them too and the cakes were delicious.  The caterer cuts and serves the cake, so they take care of removing anything unnecessary.  We're only having flowers on the top layer, so nothing will need to be pulled off.  Talk to your florist and baker about your vision and they'll make it happen for you.  Also, I know that some bakers make flowers out of spun sugar that look like the real deal.  That can be expensive though because of the hard work it takes to make them.  Silk flowers are a good alternative too, but I'd be worried about the dye in them being a bit toxic. 

Posted: Jun 22, 2007 10:17 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Kailel-Your cake sounds beautiful. We'll be doing orchids on our cake as well. I wanted something simple and elegant and since orchids are in my bouquet I think that will be a perfect compliment on the cake. 
11.11.07 I marry my best friend. Who said all angels are in heaven?

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine