Officiant Payment

Online Users: 1,285 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 11
Officiant Payment
Posted: Apr 13, 2007 11:03 AM

The pastor that is marrying us has retired from our church.  Since he is not getting paid from the church to marry us, what is an appropriate tip/payment for our wedding?
HLC

Re: Officiant Payment
Posted: Apr 13, 2007 1:16 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

The coordinator for the church suggested $150.00. The pastor should receive payment rather he is the present pastor or a former pastor.  

Posted: Apr 13, 2007 3:42 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

wow you guys are lucky...around here (So Cal) it is around $250-$300 for the just officiant.

Posted: Apr 14, 2007 7:48 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

We paid $35. for someone to clean up after the wedding.  Our total cost for the church wedding came to about $500.  It was higher for non-members.

sposabella Posts : 49 Registered: 4/22/07
Posted: Jun 23, 2007 7:16 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

My officiant normally charges $450!!! Very high for the south I think... But due to some negotiating I was able to bring him down to $300. He says the reason he charges so much is because he does free pre-wedding counseling  and post wedding counseling forever after the wedding.

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Jun 24, 2007 2:48 PM Go to message in response to: sposabella

I got you all beat LOL. We paid $500 for our Officiant in NY. Insanity, if you ask me. But that seemed to be the average around here, so we didnt have much choice. He performed a 20minute ceremony, plus the rehearsal, and thats it. I think I might get ordained online if I can rake in THAT kind of money LOL. He did a great job, but jeesh....

So it depends on your location and what he will be doing. I would say in general, $150-ish sounds like a good amount to give.

Kelley Lynn:)

Posted: Jun 24, 2007 5:03 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

We are paying $300 for ours and he is only doing a 15min ceremony. It was pretty normal around here, MD.

Posted: Jun 25, 2007 5:39 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

My officiant cost $100, and I added a $10 tip (I was told 10% was appropriate). That's in NW Arkansas, and I think a lot of the cost has to do with where you live.

Posted: Jun 25, 2007 7:46 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

We're getting married in Carmel Ca, and our officiant is acquiring our license for us since we don't live there. We are her $325 for her service, the licensing fee, and filing. I imagine we will tip her $50-$100 as well. I personally think that is too much, but she is also helping my mom a lot by providing us lists of hotels and restaurants. That's actually more than my cake cost.  
11.11.07 I marry my best friend. Who said all angels are in heaven?

LochNessie Posts : 1,631 Registered: 4/2/07
Posted: Jul 1, 2007 9:35 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

It's costing us $600 to rent the church.  But $100 is for the pre-Cana counselling, $250 is for the officiant/rental and $250 is a security deposit that we'll get back if the church is left clean.  It would be higher, but my FH is a member of that parish.  

-Ness 

Posted: Jul 9, 2007 1:34 PM Go to message in response to: LochNessie

Some of these prices seem high to me but then again, I'm from a small town where no one would or could pay that much.  A close friend of ours has agreed to be ordained online for our wedding.  She's not asking for a payment so we're paying for the online fees and I am paying for her outfit for the wedding. She said alteast now she'll have a side job for extra cash!

Posted: Jul 10, 2007 11:20 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I live in MD and the fee is around $300 but my FH dad will be marring us.  He as already gotten ordained to perform the ceremony, and I actually love the idea of him marrying us because it makes your ceremony a little more personal.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine