Airplane travel with your wedding dress?

Online Users: 1,312 guest(s), 3 user(s). Replies: 19
Airplane travel with your wedding dress?
Posted: Feb 18, 2007 7:12 AM

Hi, I am getting married in Aug in Mexico.  I am bring a formal satin A-line wedding dress.  Has anyone traveled with a wedding dress?  How did it go?

LynnetteCool

adamscookiemons... Posts : 306 Registered: 2/8/07
Re: Airplane travel with your wedding dress?
Posted: Feb 18, 2007 9:48 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I used to work at a major airport and I saw tons of ladies wearing their wedding dresses on planes...that is something I would definately NOT reccomend....but if you are just bringing it with you I was told that you should roll up the dress and put it in a separate bag or suitcase....but I'm not an expert so I guess it would probably be a good idea to ask the bridal salon.

Posted: Feb 18, 2007 10:59 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I will be traveling with my wedding dress. I bought this Samsonite garment travel bag:

It folds up and has handles, which is great.

Its 50" long and 24" wide. I know that it is black, but I will be putting the dress in a cotton like sheet and then inside this bag. I don't think that the "black" will effect the dress for only a few hours trip. As soon as I arrive to my destination, I will take the dress out of the bag (just to be safe, lol)

Posted: Feb 19, 2007 12:20 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Thanks for the responses.  I will definitely NOT wear the dress..haha!!  My bridal shop sold me a garment bag just like the one pictured in this post.  I was wondering...can I carry it on the plane?  The bridal shop said that is what I should do and I was wondering if anyone had had any problems carrying on their wedding dress.  I just cannot see my dress going through with the luggage!!

LynnetteCool

Posted: Feb 19, 2007 2:35 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

hopefully they will let you take it as a carryon...you will have to put it in the overhead compartment though...hmm maybe ask a flight attendant if they have somewhere they can put it during the flight?  check with you airline, and make sure if its ok right before your trip, because TSA changes their policies all the time.  ugh when they changed the rules to not having any liquids..... I saw people throwing away really expensive wines and perfumes and colognes....lol it got to the point where people were giving stuff away to us starbucks baristas!

Posted: Feb 19, 2007 2:35 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

hopefully they will let you take it as a carryon...you will have to put it in the overhead compartment though...hmm maybe ask a flight attendant if they have somewhere they can put it during the flight?  check with you airline, and make sure if its ok right before your trip, because TSA changes their policies all the time.  ugh when they changed the rules to not having any liquids..... I saw people throwing away really expensive wines and perfumes and colognes....lol it got to the point where people were giving stuff away to us starbucks baristas!

Posted: Feb 19, 2007 10:05 AM Go to message in response to: adamscookiemons...

DO NOT CHECK IT no matter what. Call the airline, ask if it can hang in first class, carry it on and place it above you, whatever BUT DO NOT CHECK IT. They lose things, it could get torn or stained... DO NOT CHECK IT.  :)

Posted: Feb 19, 2007 10:58 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Thankyou-Thankyou-Thankyou!!!  I will talk of you ya'lls advice.  This has been a great help!!!

LynnetteCool

Posted: Feb 19, 2007 7:31 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Wow, thanks for the post, Lynette, I was actually thinking of what I was going to do traveling with my dress...

Posted: Feb 19, 2007 8:00 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

oh my gosh!  i was so scared about my dress traveling.  i knew i could not roll it up in a suitcase.  its satin and it would be so wrinkled.  so i feel alot better

LynnetteCool

Posted: Feb 19, 2007 9:16 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I brought my  dress on with no problem.  They did not have anywhere to hang it because it was a small plane.  At first I was just holding it in my lap but then the flight attendant came over and found an empty overhead bin to put it in.  They were very nice.

Posted: Feb 19, 2007 11:13 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Thanks!  Im not sure which airline I will be traveling.  Probably one of the charter planes to the Cancun area.  I will check with them when i find out

LynnetteCool

Posted: Feb 20, 2007 5:29 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Anyone have any experience in shipping a wedding dress?  I am getting married in July on a cruise ship.  I live in NJ but the cruise goes out of Tampa.  I was concerned about trying to travel with my dress so I was thinking about shipping it to my aunt in Jacksonville, FL and having her drive with it to the ship.  Any ideas on this?

At The End of Every Storm Lies A Rainbow

Posted: Mar 2, 2007 9:42 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I bought a Wally bags tri-fold garmentote on www.ebags.com. It is a tri-fold garment bag that meets carry-on requirements. I am also packing a steamer to steam the dress once I get there. I am flying United, they said they don't have any place to hang the dress, but if my garment bag meets carry-on requirements I can take it with me on the plane. (They got rid of all the plane closets with all the new guidelines). Couldn't get the picture to work...

Posted: Jan 22, 2008 4:58 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

My friend got married 2 yrs ago in Mexico and carried her dress on board her flight.  She asked the attendant very nicely if she can hang her dress in the 1st class locker and after all the lady attendants agreed that her dress is just gorgeous, they hung it for her, gave her fiance and her champagne (they were in coach) for free and hugged her tightly when she left.  Now this is Continental which has one of the best services of any airline I've been on (I don't work for them).  I'm going to Italy for my honeymoon and will be taking my dress there as well to take pictures.  You can bet I'll be sweet-talking the attendants. 

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine