13 Yr Old Flower girl... ideas on what to wear?!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

Hartley Posts : 139 Registered: 2/8/07
13 Yr Old Flower girl... ideas on what to wear?!
Posted: Feb 11, 2007 3:51 AM

Hi everyone!  I'm needing some input on what to advise my adorable young cousin, who has insisted on being my flower girl, what she should be wearing.  Any ideas are most welcome!

Background: Her being insistent on being my FG is no problem -- I absolutely adore her, and am glad to have her as a part of the wedding ceremony.  I already have more than enough BMs, and the only other candidate for FG is an extraordinarily spoiled 3yr with a penchant for screaming fits.  So, my older young cousin being FG is no problem.

Her looks: Being 13, she's likely very awkward (as we all were then).  She's also pretty gangly, and who knows how the figure will be in another 6 months.  (Probably still quite skinny.)  She's also shorter than three of the bridesmaids, but taller than one.  She has pretty blond hair (longish), and big blue eyes.

Wedding info: BMs are wearing tea-length black dresses with stunning shrugs/sweater-ettes in an antiqued gold brocade.  Flowers will be fiery, to set off the muted hues of the clothes.  The "look" the BMs and myself will be old-Hollywood glamour, meaning sculpted curls and reddish lips (Rita Hayworth-esque).  Date is Sept 1, 2007... six(ish) months to go!

So, now that I've overloaded you with info, please let me know what some good FG-wear options you come up with!  Smile

Re: 13 Yr Old Flower girl... ideas on what to wear?!
Posted: Feb 11, 2007 8:27 AM Go to message in response to: Hartley

I kinda had the same situation with mine she is going to be 9 and I just always wanted her to be my flower girl but by the time I got engaged she just happened to be 8.  Since flower girls are usually younger I was trying to put her in a ball gown style out of habit wanting her to match me.  We "settled" on one but the size just did not work out so when we had her try on a dress just so we could check on the size (that none of us would have picked out for her otherwise) it was the PERFECT dress for her.  She is slightly overweight and it was an A-Line white dress and very plain so I added a thing that goes around her waist and has a bow in the back to match the bridesmaids dresses.  She looks beautiful and loves the dress. 

Basically - have her wear any youthful white/ivory dress (matching you) that she looks good in that is long and have her carry flowers just like yours but in a smaller bouquet (no flower girl basket with petals).  

Posted: Feb 11, 2007 8:37 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

My Flower Girl/Junior Bridesmaid is going to be 13 when we get married. She isn't my youngest cousin I have but she is one who I cant see having my wedding without her. None of the flower girl dresses looked good on her

(she was too tall) so I decided that she would wear the same dress as the bridesmaids but we changed it a little. My Bridesmaids are wearing tealength, strapless dresses. When she put the dress on it was longer, and it didnt really stay up at the top. We decided the length was fine and that we would take the scarf that came with the dress and make straps for the dress (dont need a scarf in July) it looks so good on her and I am so happy that I didnt go with a white dress for her. Her title now is flower girl/junior bridesmaid and she loves it. I dont know if you want to do something like that for your flower girl but maybe the idea will help. good luck!  

Posted: Feb 14, 2007 6:06 PM Go to message in response to: Hartley

My suggestion: call her a junior bridesmaid and have her in the same dress as the maids. Maybe have her hair/makeup more tailored to her age (ie not so bold) but don't make her feel like a little kid, since she's nearly a woman now, even if she is still awkwardly adolescent.

Hartley Posts : 139 Registered: 2/8/07
Posted: Feb 14, 2007 8:06 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Thanks for all the great ideas -- if there's any more, keep 'em coming!

Unfortunately, the really good idea of having her as a junior-BM isn't really doable.  The shrugs the BMs are wearing were sold in a (regular retail clothes) store a year ago, and are completely unobtainable now.  Plus, the cousin in question was MOST clear about being a flower-girl... LOL, God bless a girl who knows what she wants, eh?  ^_^ 

Thanks again!

Posted: Feb 21, 2007 7:18 PM Go to message in response to: Hartley

I got my daughter's dress on www.pinkprincess.com.  They have an incredible selection and unbelievable prices. 

I checked around the site and found a gold dress that might work for you.  I was thinking maybe the dress can coordinate with the BM dresses without necessarily matching them. 

I also have a coupon code for 10% off any purchase on their website.  They emailed it to me just today.  Anyone can use it.  It is wpp10.

Click to enlargeClick to enlargeClick to enlarge

Posted: Mar 2, 2007 5:54 PM Go to message in response to: Hartley

hey hartley! 

that's great that you have a cousin who knows what she wants! i feel like maybe you should have her wear something that is similar to your BMs, but stands out as slightly different.  maybe something with cap sleeves (to fall along with that Rita Hayworth era) or something like this?

http://www.jimhjelmoccasions.com/dress_db_jr/display_dress.php?imageno=652&multimatch=x

congratulations on your wedding- you and i have the same date!!! it's getting close!! :-) good luck with everything!

-Brooke

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine