Hay Bales for Seating

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7
Hay Bales for Seating
Posted: Feb 3, 2007 8:08 AM

Has anbody actually used haybales for seating? We make a bunch of hay on our farm and are thinking of using it for seating for the ceremony, but isn't is itchy and pokey? I get all scratched up unloading/stacking hay, I'm not sure I'd want to sit on it in  adresss or nice clothes. Do you cover them with cloth? Thanks!

Re: Hay Bales for Seating
Posted: Feb 3, 2007 9:11 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I would definitly cover them... thats what they do with the ones they use for the hay rides we have every october up here.

One thing to think about though... does any of your guests have allergies? If so sitting on hay bales may be REALLY miserable.

Kim

wisgirl Posts : 115 Registered: 9/11/06
Posted: Feb 3, 2007 9:31 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

My mom did the photography for a wedding where they did this (it was the same wedding I mentioned in the dog thread).  Actually I think that they used straw bales.  They got married in a hay field and the whole thing looked great.  I think that they did cover the bales with something.  I'll ask my mom what they covered it with and get back to you.   

Agum6 Posts : 476 Registered: 8/12/06
Posted: Feb 3, 2007 11:02 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

This is a cute idea, but speaking from experience, I hate hay. I hate touching it, it gets in your clothes and pokes and sticks you. I would go with straw. Its still pokey but when covered it won't be near as bad. It doesn't have the same horrible pokey, itchy, stays with you until you shower, effect as hay does. =) I don't know if I've seen this at a wedding before but it sounds really cute. But perhaps you should also have some chairs there for older people who might not want to sit on it. I'm doing something similar at my ceremony where there are big concrete blocks in this park we are using. I want people to sit on those but I know not very many will so I am supplying lots of chairs and giving people the option to sit on those as well. And I'm making little personal throws for everyone to sit on.  Anyways about the hay, unfortunately for me, my FI is in the middle of buying a huge hay operation and it will now be my life...forever... lol.

Ashley & Nathan

May 26, 2007

Posted: Feb 3, 2007 1:31 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I am planning on doing this for our ceremony too. We will be using straw as others have mentioned and putting white square cloths over the top so it stays off peoples clothes. If you check out: www.blommaflicka.com  there is a pic of this being done - and they are in VT

wisgirl Posts : 115 Registered: 9/11/06
Posted: Feb 3, 2007 1:38 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I checked with my mom and she said they put 2X4s on top of the bales to make them like benches.  So probably not a comfy seat for a long ceremony but it would prevent the hay or straw from poking the guests.

Posted: Feb 3, 2007 5:18 PM Go to message in response to: wisgirl

The most important thing about using hay is making sure that nobody has any allergies to the hay.  Many people do have allergies to hay so you might want to have some regular chairs in case somebody does.
"You don't marry someone you can live with - you marry the person who you cannot live without."

Beca Posts : 361 Registered: 9/28/06
Posted: Feb 5, 2007 9:37 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

You are absolutely right!. I saw something like that in a magazine & it was fabulous. The couple cover the hay bales with white medium cloths & it was beautifull. I love the idea.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine