Can I see your non-formal dress?

Online Users: 1,356 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 16
Can I see your non-formal dress?
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 1:11 PM

I'm looking for ideas for less formal dresses. . not super casual, but no long trains or poofy ballgowns (not that they're not beautiful, but ours will be a more casual wedding. Thanks!

Re: Can I see your non-formal dress?
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 1:31 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hmm... well, I still think mine would be considered formal. BUT if your definition of non-formal is "no long trains or poofy ballgowns" I do fit the bill :) So here was mine:

walkingwhalehead.jpg

I'm really really really not a "poufy" kind of girl. I said from the beginning that I wasn't, and since our wedding was outdoors, near the beach, with a tented reception.... I really wanted the flowy, airy look of this kind of dress as opposed to the more "formal" look of satin.

The rest of my pictures are at www.jpixx.com/weddings/chrissie_jamie

Posted: Feb 2, 2007 1:41 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Jcrew, Nordstroms, and Dessy Sandals all have dresses like you're describing, and they're really pretty and inexpensive

Here are some jcrew

Nordstroms...

Sean Collection Ruffle Trim Beaded Dress with Train

JS Collections Off Shoulder Shirred Taffeta Gown

Sean Collection Stretch Satin Gown

Nicole Miller X-Back Satin Gown

Jessica McClintock Lace Trim Satin Gown

Nicole Miller Square Neck Satin Gown

Bari Jay Lace Halter Gown

Mary L Couture Lace V-Neck Gown with Piping

ABS by Allen Schwartz Back V-Shape Gown

And Sandals...

Chiffon destination gown

Renaissance Satin destination gown

Stretch Charmeuse destination gown

Stretch Net destination gown

(I didn't post all of them but you get the idea...) Smile

LizS Posts : 1,982 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 3:13 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Well, I think Chrissie has this one covered pretty well!

Posted: Feb 2, 2007 4:37 PM Go to message in response to: LizS

LOL - well thank you Liz! (slow day at work... can you tell???)

Kiss mwah!

Posted: Feb 2, 2007 9:20 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

here's my dress...it's monique lhuillier.  i ordered it a couple of weeks ago and i should get it within 3-4 months.  my wedding's going to be on the beach in hawaii. 

Posted: Feb 3, 2007 2:08 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I think your dress is really pretty and will be perfect for the beach!

Posted: Feb 3, 2007 2:14 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

this is my dress....i can't wait to get it in may!!

i'm so happy it's happy hour!

Message was edited by mandik on Feb 3, 2007 2:14 PM

Posted: Feb 6, 2007 9:41 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

bump! for leapyearbride.... :)

Posted: Feb 6, 2007 12:14 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Thanks girls! I forgot to "watch" this thread, and I was wondering why no one had responded - as I hadn't received any email notifications, then I went to look for myself and hello! Anyway, thanks, many pretty ideas! 

Posted: Feb 6, 2007 1:22 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hey JamiesBabydoll. Did you just go out to all these sites and look them up? All these stores have wedding sections? I went the JCREW site before and never saw that much of a selection. I'm going towards a less formal approach also so your suggestions were very helpful.

Do you know if Nordstroms carries a selection in store? If they do, I might have to plan a trip. Nothing available in IA.

Thanks!

*Kay

LizS Posts : 1,982 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Feb 6, 2007 3:07 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Not all Nordstrom stores carry wedding dresses.  The ones in Kansas City and St. Louis don't carry much.  However, the one in Chicago is fantastic and carries almost everything!  They have great return policies and even have charts to go by for each designer.

Yes, J.Crew carries an excellent selection of dresses for brides now.  It just keeps getting better and better.  I think they only sell their wedding collection online.  I have never noticed them in any of their stores.

Posted: Feb 6, 2007 3:20 PM Go to message in response to: LizS

Everything I posted I did find on their current websites. Sometimes it helps to google "Store Name bridal" or something when searching.

I haven't really gone hunting to the different stores, but Liz (June242006) is right, the stores in the big cities (larger) do tend to carry more in stock than smaller stores. One thing you could do if you're thinking of taking a trip to try on dresses, is to see which ones you think you'd really like to try on and then call them to see if they actually carry the style number. That way you don't get there and feel disapointed with the selection.

Also, don't be too discouraged if they only carry the dresses online.... many stores have return policies where they will pay for return shipping if you don't like the garment you've purchased. So if you like a dress, check the return policy - you may be able to try it on without ever having to worry about leaving your bedroom door! :)

Posted: Feb 6, 2007 3:24 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I haven't decided for sure yet but I love this Martin McCrae dress and there are some really pretty ones on the website also.

http://martinmccrea.com/fiona

Posted: Feb 6, 2007 9:03 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

i've bought several wedding dresses (6 total) online at both Nordstrom.com and jcrew.com and i returned all of them.  jcrew has a 60-day return policy and nordstrom doesn't have one at all.  if you go to the jcrew store and order something through the catalog/internet with the store telephone, you get FREE shipping.  norsdstrom usually has $5 shipping and sometimes free shipping once in a while.  i actually bought each dress in 2 different sizes knowing i was going to return some of them.  you can return the dresses through mail or at the store.  i ended up buying a dress at a boutique.  these stores are very flexible.  neimanmarcus.com also has wedding downs online and their return policy is also good. 

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine