the ring!!

Online Users: 1,316 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 30
the ring!!
Posted: Jan 11, 2007 7:25 PM

do you think its ok to say what kinda of ring you want? or what kinda stone shape? just not the carat

FutureMrsP2007 Posts : 194 Registered: 12/6/06
Re: the ring!!
Posted: Jan 11, 2007 7:31 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

absolutely... FH knew exactly what i like and wanted... i never told him a carat size tho... thats like telling him how much he should spend...when that is his decision

Posted: Jan 11, 2007 10:54 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Honey, I picked out a ring for him! When I saw one I loved, I knew nothing else would compare, so I took him with me, showed it to him and let the saleswoman give him all the information about it. I let him buy it in his own time, though. I think he was a lot less stressed. 

If you don't want to do that, though, you might want to test his taste. I did this a couple of times when I was in the mall with my boyfriend. I'd stop him at a jewelry case, and say, "if you were going to buy me a piece of jewelry out of this case, which one would it be. Not by cost, but by what you think I'd like." and he chose poorly in most cases. That's when I knew he would need a little help.

If you want to be surprised, pick a few rings, in different price ranges, and let him decide which one is best for both of you. 

Dreambeliever Posts : 76 Registered: 11/21/06
Posted: Jan 11, 2007 11:55 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I would!  Acutally, right before we started talking engagement when we would see pictures of rings and what nots I would make a comment "Oh, that is beautiful" or "I really hate that cut and would never want to wear it."  OF course, my wonderful thick-headed fh, it's not working to well.  He got me a promise ring this christmas .  That's fine (even teh one I wanted) but he's trying to convince me out of the cut that I want for my e-ring.  lol silly boy.  I am NOT going to change my mind.

Posted: Jan 12, 2007 12:49 PM Go to message in response to: Dreambeliever

I agree.. I don't think there is anything wrong with that.... Anytime I would see pictures of rings, I would say "OMG I love that ring", or "Eww I don't really like that ring." He got the clue of what I liked and what I didn't. We never went ring shopping together but just from all the pictures we had looked at he knew what I wanted. Sometimes I would say things like "The ring is really showy" just little things like that, but I would never tell him the carat that I wanted I have to say that he picked it out all on his own and I love it.  Its beautiful and I wouldn't change it for anything!  
" alt="" width="28" height="30">

Message was edited by TLG21 on Jan 15, 2007 10:24 AM

Posted: Jan 15, 2007 11:00 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I agree - I think it's totally fine to show your guy what kind of rings you like.  Before I got engaged, I used to show him rings that I liked (and didn't like) in magazines, jewelry stores, billboards, and online.  It is a huge purchase for a guy, and any sort of guidance you can give him, I'm sure he'd appreciate - after all, I'm sure he wants to be sure he's going to get you something you LOVE.  But like you said, I'd stay away from saying a carat size or price range you'd want.

Posted: Jan 16, 2007 11:48 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I think it's fine. FH and his older sister brought up e-rings back in september, asking me if I liked hers, which is princess cut. We knew we'd get engaged but I thought it would be way off so I didn't think about it, but I casually mentioned it. Maybe if you're looking through sales catalougs or at the mall when you pass jewelry stores with big signs with pictures on them, just say, I don't think that ring is very pretty. If it were me I'd like...

That's how I did with FH. Then he ended up proposing in December and completely surprised me. It was great. But I kept changing my mind because I didn't think I would need to decide until way later on. So he bought a three stone princess cut like I wanted. Then two days later I mentioned I liked round stones better, only he had the ring and couldn't let on. It made him sad that he ahd already bought it and suddenly I wanted something else. But once he proposed and I saw the ring I knew it was the best ring in the world and perfect for us. I was so glad I didn't pick it out for him. There is no greater feeling in the world, and its only added to by seeing your engagement ring for the first time. Personally, I would hint at the cut you like and if you like solitaire or three stone, but don't pick it out for him. You'll get the style you want, but he can pick a ring that means something to him as well. Ultimately it is up to you and how you feel about it. Let us know how it goes!!

Agum6 Posts : 476 Registered: 8/12/06
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 6:14 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I think that is totally fine. Some guys like lots of input and some want to do it on their own. You know your guy, so be as subtle as you have to on dropping hints. My FI picked my ring out all on his own but he knew what I liked. I did specify a minimum carat amount because quality and size was most important.  Just because you have a big stone doesn't mean your diamond is worth anything.  This is a big investment (Or at least it was for us) We both wanted the same thing though so it was fine. Yes, there is the sentimental factor and the thought that counts, but I am wearing this for the rest of my life and I want it to be perfect...which it is! =)

Ashley & Nathan

May 26, 2007

Posted: Jan 26, 2007 4:19 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I think that it is ok to fill him in on what cut you prefer, but not the carat size.  My FH would always take me into jewelry stores to look around, so he got a few hints from that.  Also, when I looked at magazines or anything, I would comment on the rings, if I liked them or not!! My FH is wonderful when it comes to picking anything out for me, so I knew he would not have a problem....it is just soo special, because he had my ring made especially for me, that he designed!!

Emerald928 Posts : 155 Registered: 3/31/06
Posted: Jan 29, 2007 8:55 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

FH and I went serious shopping several times. I knew from the beginning I wanted nothing but an emerald cut, which I didn't let FH forget. I finalized two settings I like, and in the end FH will choose. However, because of monetary limitations, I told FH that I wanted a diamond between .5-.75 carats, because I didn't want him to feel obligated to buy a ring on credit or something. In the end, however, I have faith that he will buy what he can afford, because he knows I will love whatever he gets.

Posted: Jan 30, 2007 12:28 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Definitely- only problem is if he already bought it and you tell him that you want something else, he may get bummed. That almost happened with me. My fiance knew that I needed a princess cut engagement ring to match the wedding band that we had already bought (we've been together 4.5 years), so he bought a gorgeous ring and I had no idea that he was even seriously looking for a ring. I went on and on about this ring that I saw one day and when he popped the question about a month later and told me that he had the ring for about 2 months I felt terrible. That would be my only warning- if you think he may be seriously looking, you may be too late to give you input.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
imghttp://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10716;2/st/20080906/e/I%27m+married+to+my+Andy%21/k/178a/event.png[/img]
[/url]

hairdogri Posts : 18 Registered: 2/4/07
Posted: Feb 7, 2007 11:54 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

My FH let me pick out my ring.  He wanted to make sure I loved it.  He has bought me beatiful jewelry in the past, so I am sure that I would have loved anything he got for me.  Funny thing is though that I thought for sure I would want an oval or marquis cut and the one I fell in love with is round.  The jeweler started out with a carat stone and I kept having him show me smaller ones because I felt that was just too big for my hand.  I ended up with a .71 carat  solitaire, which is perfect for me. 

TinaNTim Posts : 254 Registered: 12/8/06
Posted: Feb 8, 2007 12:10 AM Go to message in response to: hairdogri

FH must've have been listening to me all these years.  He got the exact cut I've always talked about.  I think a lot of guys appreciate a little bit of help when it comes to buying the ring.  I know my FH did and both my brothers enlisted me to help them pick out their wives' rings.  Cause I'm sneaky and got info out of them without them realizing what was going to happen.  :)

Posted: Feb 22, 2007 11:38 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

O yes! I totally showed photos and all to my sweetie... so he would  not have to feel pressured to get the right one. I think you should be very specific about your style and share! share! share! Then prepare to become left handed!!! Enjoy your engagement!!!!

-Skaterbride

Message was edited by SKATERBRIDE on Feb 22, 2007 11:41 AM

CoverGirl Posts : 13 Registered: 2/26/07
Posted: Feb 26, 2007 10:40 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Yes, it is fine to tell your FH what type of ring you would like? After all you will be the one wearing it. I went to the store with my FH to pick out my ring. We lokked at several options and  decided together which ring would be the one.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine