the ring!!

Online Users: 1,321 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 30

xNikkiHeartsMikex Posts : 341 Registered: 2/19/07
Re: the ring!!
Posted: Feb 27, 2007 4:28 AM Go to message in response to: CoverGirl

FH asked me before getting engaged what kind of rings I like (but a LONG time before), and we also window shopped and stuff while at malls, etc and I pointed out things I found pretty. Ultimately he got me a ring from Tiffany (princess cut with two trilliums), but I never told him how many carats, etc.. I won't dictate what he needs to spend. 
imghttp://www.tickercentral.com/view/7xoe/1.png[/img]

Posted: Feb 27, 2007 2:59 PM Go to message in response to: xNikkiHeartsMikex

There is absolutely nothing wrong with it at all, as a matter of fact I endorse it. I think most guys do also because it's "THE" gift for them. The one that is the most paramount and the LAST thing they want to do is screw it up. Not saying you have to cut out a picture from a magazine and staple it to his forehead but at least some guidance (cut, metal material, etc) would be nice.

My fiance let me pick mine out....I think it was because he never listended when I would tell him anyway so....

kathyNYC Posts : 87 Registered: 2/28/07
Posted: Feb 28, 2007 11:44 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

It is totally ok to tell, show, and remind, remind, remind him what you do and do not like. Like everyone else said, how you choose to do that will depend on your guy. If he picks up quick, a few discussions without pictures could do the trick. If not, magazines, jewelery stores, billboards, family members hands, etc. are all great conversation starters. My FH and I were excited about getting engaged way before it happened, so we used to mess around on jewelery websites. A lot have "design your own ring" features that you can use to educate him on the cut and setting you have always wanted. A few joke suggestions (but make it obvious it's a joke!) mixed in with your real opinion will make it fun and hopefully he'll catch on. Worked for me! A few times playing on Blue Nile and other websites got me a perfect princess cut with two baguettes in a setting that he designed with his jeweler. My sisters were so mad he didn't need their input!!

BrideJenna91507 Posts : 2 Registered: 11/12/06
Posted: Mar 7, 2007 4:57 PM Go to message in response to: kathyNYC

My FH and I went ring shopping and I chose the exact ring I wanted. I knew what his price range was going into it, so I knew how much ring I could get. As much as I love him, I knew I didn't trust his judgment on something THIS important and something I would wear for the rest of my life! It was actually his idea to go ring shopping together! He didn't buy the ring that day but the saleslady gave him all the information he needed so that when he came back (on his own time and without me knowing about it) they would know exactly which ring to order. By the time he proposed, I had forgotten exactly what it looked like, so when he opened the ring box, I just couldn't get over how gorgeous it was. I'm definitely glad I helped him pick it out!

billysprincess Posts : 6 Registered: 2/28/07
Posted: Mar 7, 2007 9:41 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Yes, I think that is fine. I sent email hints and picked up little catalogues along the way when we were at the mall and then showed him the ones I liked. I never told him how many carats I wanted, he told me what he thought was suitable. It was more than I expected so I agreed with him. The first one who throws out a number loses.Wink He always said the ring is a reflection of the man. (I guess that is a macho thing)

I always knew I wanted a white gold or platinum setting and a princess stone, so I made sure he knew what I wanted but within reason.

sposabella Posts : 49 Registered: 4/22/07
Posted: May 19, 2007 10:56 PM Go to message in response to: billysprincess

I used to think it was totally unromantic to tell your guy what kind of ring to get but my recent experience with this has completely changed my mind! My boyfriend unexpectedly designed a hideous old lady ring for me. Thank God he told me about it before the jeweler actually made it. Don't get me wrong... I would still have been overjoyed that the man of my dreams proposed and I would have accepted the ring without ever telling him how I really felt in order to spare his feelings. I might even have grown to like it due to my love for him, but I wouldn't have been nearly as happy with it as I am with the one we chose together. I can't help staring at it! My advice , definitely speak up about what you want!

FutureMrsSchroe... Posts : 35 Registered: 6/5/07
Posted: Jul 4, 2007 8:34 AM Go to message in response to: CoverGirl

I told my fiancee that I needed either a plain band or a solitaire that was not too big. I am a musician(violin and a bunch other things) and big jewelry gets in the way. I actually still have to switch my ring to my right hand when I perform bigger gigs, concerts or recitals and it is not even that big of a stone. Anyway, it is totally fine to tell him what you want. Just don't suggest a carot size...that is pretty much telling him how much he is required to spend.

Posted: Jul 9, 2007 2:18 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsSchroe...

I think it's just fine for you to pick out the one you like! It's going to be on your hand and everytime you look at it you want to smile and think that it's perfect.  Remember, you'll be showing that thing off to everyone, so why not love it with a big smile on your face! I didn't show him my ring though, I told him to find the lady named Janice and she'll point you in the right direction.  I had went to her the night before and pointed out the one I LOVED and she told me she would see to it that I got it.

HIltonsDGBRIDE09 Posts : 40 Registered: 6/21/07
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 11:54 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hun...I dont think that there is anything wrong with telling him what you want..shape cut..and size(but be willing to compromise)! In fact my Fiance wanted me to ...tell him and pick it out...he took me shopping for rings...He was sooo afriad of picking out the wrong one he wanted to make sure I got the right one!  Plus several yrs. ago he wanted a computer...and didn't get the one he wanted...He likes it but would have loved the other one..! Your Fiance..wants you to love your ring...So don't be afriad to pick it out or tell him what you want!!  I am sure he will gratefull for your imput!!

Message was edited by DGgirl907 on Jul 10, 2007 11:54 AM

Posted: Jul 11, 2007 9:13 PM Go to message in response to: HIltonsDGBRIDE09

The first guy I was engaged to I told him what kind of stone I wanted. This time we had talked about what I liked and didn't like(as well as his oppinon on the subject) and then he picked out the ring totally by himself. I couldn't be happier if I'd picked it out myself. Of course I know that I like my FH's taste too.

Becky

12/22/07 is the first day of forever

Posted: Jul 20, 2007 3:04 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

That's fine. We were talking about getting married for awhile so when we took me to my favorite jewlery store to look at rings, I didn't think too much about it. He had me try on 5 to 8 rings that I liked. Each one was a different style, carat, & price.

3 months later he purposed. I was still surprised with my ring because I had no idea which one I was going to get when I opened up the box.

Honestly, though it didn't matter what ring he picked out because I would've loved it anyway.

TickledPeenk Posts : 175 Registered: 7/19/07
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 3:52 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

My bf and I have gone to 5 different stores and looked at rings.  I liked a lot of different ones in different price ranges, so he has an idea of what I like and don't like and the rest is up to him. 

But I know I will love whatever he gives me because he has great taste and I'm pretty easy to please.. I'll love anything that's sparkly!   Plus, it will be from him, and it's him that I want, the ring is just icing on the cake :)

Posted: Jul 24, 2007 12:36 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

My FH and I looked at rings together for a while before he could actually be in a financial situation to get engaged.  It was a good thing we did!!  We had very different ideas about what we liked.  Also, he felt like it had to be SO nice.  I felt it had to be SO special!  In the end us looking together saved him a great deal of money and I got a ring i truly love.  He is finishing up college and I feel an E ring should reflect where you are at that point in your life.  I love that we are starting out together not already in the middle. (if that makes sense)  Also the ring I ended up with is one he picked out and showed to me online.  I HATED IT!!!  It was horrible, then I went to the store to see it in person and absolutely melted!!  It was perfect!  It is a total 50/50 combination of the two of us and different than any other ring I have ever seen. However, it comes is 4 different carat ranges.  He wanted to get me half a carat bigger, but I tried them on and had to convince him to get me the smaller one!!  I would never ask for a bigger carat size but sometimes guys get carried away and I think it is ok to let them know if you want something more modest.

-SoontobeaVragovic

"http://tickers.families.com">

MrsB2Be08 Posts : 58 Registered: 7/24/07
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 5:32 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I think it's perfectly appropriate to discuss it!  We've taked about the stone (I've always wanted something non-traditional) and the cut.  I don't know if I want to be a part of actually designing it, but at least he knows the shapes and color that I love.

* Jen *

Beachwed Posts : 782 Registered: 9/19/06
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 5:47 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

My FH asked my friend what I liked in a ring, so she asked me about it.  I just didn't want gold (white gold instead) which he actually didn't realize, but that was all I said. I was happy that he picked it on his own, but I can see wanting to help as well.  He picked out the exact one that I would've chosen though, and I love that he was so excited about it, because he chose it :)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine