Need HELP with Lasso Ceremony!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5
Need HELP with Lasso Ceremony!
Posted: Dec 27, 2006 10:38 AM

My FH is Mexican and I want to do the Lasso Ceremony at our wedding.  We go to a non-denominational Christian Church and we're two of like 6 hispanics in the whole place.  My pastor, who I love, is clueless about the symbolism and about the ceremony in general.  I need to find really detailed information about the ceremony to give him so he knows what it is, what to say, what to do, and perhaps what readings would go well (Bible verses).  I've looked online and found some little bits here and there, but not too much.  It could be a website, a magazine, a book... anything.  Please help!

November 3, 2007 I marry my best friend!

Tabbygirl Posts : 342 Registered: 3/28/06
Re: Need HELP with Lasso Ceremony!
Posted: Dec 27, 2006 8:57 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I don't know if this will help, but this is what we had in our program. My aunt sent me a bunch of old wedding programs that explained the ceremony and I consolidated everything to fit into a program nicely:

"The cord (lasso), placed on the shoulders of _____ and ______, and shaped in an infinity symbol, symbolizes their love and eternity of marriage.  Both _______ and _________must equally shoulder the responsibilities that a marriage brings.  They pledge to support each other in love, joy and sorrow."

"Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrongs." - Charlotte Bronte

Posted: Dec 28, 2006 10:52 AM Go to message in response to: Tabbygirl

Thanks... that's a good start.  Laughing

Posted: Jan 29, 2007 3:34 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Talk with his family if you can.  It is my understanding that a family member or close friend of the family (a padrino) buys the lasso.  If his family is Mexican, they will know something of the significance.  Here is a great resource, don't know if you saw it, but it looked pretty complete.  http://www.celebrateintimateweddings.com/lassoceremony.html

K

Posted: Jan 29, 2007 11:59 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Thanks that did have a lot of information.   I'm off to a good start here.  I'm trying to find (I know I saw it SOMEWHERE) the more religous aspects of it... and then trying to cut out the overly Catholic elements.  And then I hav to try to not confuse my poor pastor.  But if anyone finds any more let me know!  Thanks a lot, if I don't vfind anything else I can definately tweak that to work for us. 

Tabbygirl Posts : 342 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 6:34 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Although it's mostly done in Catholic weddings, it's not actually considered a "Catholic" tradition. It's more of a cultural tradition, and since many Hispanics, Spaniards and Filipinos (Philippines are heavily influenced by the Spanish) are of the Catholic faith, you see it done more so in Catholic wedding ceremonies.  The Catholic church permits it during the sacrament because it is a cultural tradition that has been occuring for a long period of time, whereas the Unity Candle is not considered a cultural tradition and rather a secular tradition, thus the reason why many Catholic churches are doing away with the Unity Candle.   Anyway, I don't think you have to worry about it being a Catholic tradition.  Just explain to your pastor that it is actually more of a cultural thing even though it has become synonomous with the Catholic Church. 

"Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrongs." - Charlotte Bronte

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine