How to Properly Request No Gifts?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 4
How to Properly Request No Gifts?
Posted: Dec 17, 2006 3:00 PM

We will be married in New York this coming summer, but currently live outside of the United States. Following the wedding we will continue to live abroad, so we prefer not to receive any gifts from wedding guests. In many cases, most guests would prefer to give money, but how can we explicitly state this in a tasteful way? In the invitations?

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Re: How to Properly Request No Gifts?
Posted: Dec 17, 2006 9:10 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Word of mouth really is the only tasteful way--you really can't direct what guests give you. You can choose not to register for gifts. IF people ask, have your parents and your bridal party (as well as yourselves) prepared to explain that, because you live abroad and shipping is expensive/ difficult, you would prefer money or gift cards (or whatever alternative you propose). But ONLY if people ask! Definitely not in invitations.

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

Posted: Jan 21, 2007 1:28 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I know that this was posted a while back but I just had a thought.

There are a few different people that I have seen that either have most things or would like to have something a bit different. What I’m getting at is that I am assuming that you will at some point go on a honeymoon after the wedding. Perhaps you could get a online registry or list of things that would make up the parts of you honeymoon and ask people to get them for you. Like, a night in Paris, or a fairy trip to Sicily or a romantic dinner for two under the Eiffel tower… you get the picture. This way you are not asking people for money (at least not directly) and you don’t have to worry about posting gifts around the place.

Treasure love whilst you have it...

Posted: Jan 21, 2007 1:28 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Sorry posted message twice by accident... Embarassed

Message was edited by LouLou on Jan 21, 2007 1:29 AM

Posted: May 8, 2007 2:50 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

You can print "Best Wishes Only" on your invitation -it is a nice way of saying 'no gifts please'.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine