Anyone using "Hand Ceremony" in their wedding? - Questions

Online Users: 1,309 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7
Anyone using "Hand Ceremony" in their wedding? - Questions
Posted: Dec 7, 2006 1:59 AM

I fell in love with the heartfelt and meaning of the words to the hand ceremony I read on this forum.

For those of you who have seen it used, (or other unity ceremonies), when do you do this?

Before or after vows?

Do you play music during it? (or would that get in way of words being heard).

Any tips/advice appreciated, as I'm having a non-religious ceremony and am worried it's only going to last, like 4 minutes!

Do you? yes!, do you? yes, on to the buffet! lol

susan 

JosesGirl Posts : 582 Registered: 3/28/06
Re: Anyone using "Hand Ceremony" in their wedding? - Questions
Posted: Dec 7, 2006 4:55 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

We're having a non-religious ceremony as well. I also fell in love with the hands ceremony and decided we would incorporate it into our vows as well. After working with our officiant, here are our vows....ONLY 42 DAYS till we get to exchange them!!!

OPENING:

We have come here today to celebrate love. We see it in the faces of

Sarah and Jose who stand before us, but we experience it in our own hearts as well. This love is powerful enough to untie the strong knot of life. It is a love which is spoken in all religions, which kindles our souls with hope and which is our true home and meeting place.

Sarah and Jose have opened their hearts to one another. And today in just a few moments will share their vows of marriage together. We are deeply grateful to them for opening their hearts to us as well, inviting us to witness and share in this precious moment.

PRESENTATION OF THE BRIDE:

Who gives this woman to be married to this man?

Response: ___________________

Sarah if you would face Jose and hold his hands, palms up, so you may see the gift that they are to you.

These are the hands of your best friend, young and strong and vibrant with love, that are holding yours on your wedding day, as he promises to love you all the days of his life.
These are the hands that will work along side yours, as together you build your future, as you laugh and cry, as you share your innermost secrets and dreams.
These are the hands that look so large and strong, yet will be so gentle as he holds your child for the first time.
These are the hands that will work long hours for you and your new family.

These are that hands that will passionately love you and cherish you through

the years, for a lifetime of happiness.
These are the hands that will countless times wipe the tears from your eyes: tears of sorrow and tears of joy.

These are the hands that will comfort you in illness, and hold you when fear or grief overwhelm you.
These are the hands that will tenderly lift your chin and brush your cheek as they raise your face to look into his eyes: eyes that are filled completely with his overwhelming love and desire for you.

Jose, please hold Sarah's hands, palms up, where you may see the gift that they are to you.

These are the hands of your best friend, smooth, young and carefree, that are holding yours on your wedding day, as she promises to love you all the days of her life.
These are the hands that will hold each child in tender love, soothing them through illness and hurt, supporting and encouraging them along the way, and knowing when it is time to let go.
These are the hands that will hold you tight as you struggle through difficult times
These are the hands that will comfort you when you are sick, or console you when you are grieving.
They are the hands that will passionately love you and cherish you through the years, for a lifetime of happiness.
These are the hands that will give you support as she encourages you to chase down your dreams. Together as a team, everything you wish for can be realized.

Exchange of Vows:

And now, because of the love you share, and the assurance that no moral or legal barriers hinder this union…..

Sarah, will you look into Jose’s eyes and repeat after me,

I, Sarah, take you Jose, as my husband. I will be true to you, in good times and bad times. I will honor you, and love you, all the days of my life.

Jose, will you look into Sarah's eyes and repeat after me,

I, Jose, take you, Sarah, as my wife. I will be true to you, in good times and bad times. I will honor you, and love you, all the days of my life.

Blessing of the Rings:

(take rings from attendants) May I have the rings please?

These rings are the outward sign of an inward and invisible love which binds your hearts together. As they are made without edge or seam, so they symbolize the perfection of the love that cannot end. May their meaning sink deep into your hearts and bind your love together by devotion, faithfulness, and respect.

Exchange Of Rings:

Sarah, if you would take Jose's ring and place it on his ring finger and repeat after me:

This ring I give to you…as a symbol of my faithfulness and love…and as a pledge…to honor you….with my whole being…and to share with you….my entire life.

Jose, if you would take Sarah's ring and place it on her ring finger and repeat after me:

This ring I give to you….as a symbol of my faithfulness and love…and as a pledge…to honor you…with my whole being…and to share with you…my entire life.

Let us Pray:

Dear Lord, may you bless these hands that you see before you this day. May they always be held by one another. Give them the strength to hold on during the storms of stress and the dark of disillusionment. Keep them tender and gentle as they nurture each other in their wondrous love. Help these hands to continue building a relationship founded in grace, rich in caring, and devoted to reaching for perfection. May Sarah and Jose see their four hands as healer, protector, shelter and guide.
Give the highest priority to the tenderness, gentleness and kindness that their connection deserves. When frustration, difficulty or fear assail their relationship - as they threaten all relationships at one time or another - let them remember to focus on what is right between them, not only the part that seems wrong.
In this way, they can ride out the times when clouds hide the face of the sun in their lives - remembering that even if they lose sight of it for a moment, the sun is still there.
And if each of them takes responsibility for the quality of their lives together, their life together will be marked by abundance and delight.

In the name of out Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ we pray, Amen

Pronouncment:

In as much as you both have consented together in this ceremony to live in wedlock and have sealed your vows in the presence of this company and by the giving of these rings, it gives me great pleasure to pronounce that you are Husband and Wife.

Congratulations, Jose, you may kiss the bride!

It is my pleasure to present to you...Mr. and Mrs. Jose XXXX!

Message was edited by JosesGirl on Dec 8, 2006 9:38 PM

Posted: Dec 7, 2006 8:21 PM Go to message in response to: JosesGirl

wow! tks for sharing!

I'll definitly be borrowing a thing or two from your ceremony!

relief!

One other question...um, my FH and I do a lot of french kissing. I'm worried he is going to 'go to town' after waiting all day to see me/etc and i'm afraid it could get a bit embarrsing.

thots on how to handle this?

i'm afraid if i just gently pull away, he'll be there with his toungue hanging wanting more. LOL

the things we brides must think of and deal with eh?

susan

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Dec 8, 2006 12:04 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

the way to deal with this is to TELL HIM NOT TO DO THIS LOL I mean really, its your wedding ceremony, I think its fine if the kiss is long and sweet... but you dont want your new husband tonguing you in front of all the guests, thats just tacky! Lol. Just talk to him and tell him to please use restraint and that you promise to find 5 min alone with him AFTER the ceremony so he can go to town on you then lol.

As far as making your ceremony more than 5 min lol... we also had a nonreligious ceremony and it was about 25 min. Do things , add things that are personal to you. Have someone sing or do a reading. There are lots of beautiful readings that arent from the Bible, from everywhere. We used one called why marriage by mari nichols and it was really nice. You can also have a musical interlude in your ceremony if you have live musicians. or do some sort of rose ceremony, hand ceremony, or anything else that might incorporate traditions or somethign meaninfgul to you both. Good luck , it goes by QUICK!

Kelley Lynn:)

darkchild24 Posts : 196 Registered: 9/1/06
Posted: Dec 8, 2006 7:33 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

i just read the Hand Ceremony last night....i started to cry because it made me realize how perfectly it fits the kind of love that Cory and i have...i typed it to him when we were both online, but i don't think he was in the mood for wedding talk...either way, this is definately going to be a part of the ceremony! thinking about doing it either before or after the ring exchange...

Posted: May 24, 2007 12:50 AM Go to message in response to: darkchild24

I have never heard of this...but I love it!!!!  It is perfect.  I am somewhat religious and my mom is very...but my FH isn't really at all this sounds like the perfect way to blend iit into a perfect mix.  The vows are different...not old and boring and are our true feelings more so than the traditional vows...and the prayer at the end and adding "in the presence of God and this company" as well will make my FH not as uncomfortable but still let me feel comfortable too. THANKS!!!!  

Soon to be Mrs. Santangelo

Posted: May 24, 2007 1:29 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

We are using it as well. It will be before the vows. I am trying to add length to the ceremony, and this turned out to be perfect when I read it a few months back.

Posted: Jun 8, 2007 1:10 PM Go to message in response to: JosesGirl

Wow, that is beautiful.  I'm definitely using that in my handfasting ceremony.  Thank you so much!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine