How much per plate?

Online Users: 1,352 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 59
How much per plate?
Posted: Nov 27, 2006 8:44 PM

I have already booked my reception site for my wedding.  The price per person/plate includes the pre reception, cocktail hour, dinner, and the cake.  In addition, vallet parking and coat check (I know...big deal...lol).  My midwestern family is freaking about about NYC-metro area prices, not so much for everything else; but, just the food and drinks.  I think the price we are paying is worth it considering the quality of the food and drinks and the quality and reputation of the site.  How much are you paying per plate and what do you think is way too much per person/plate?

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Re: How much per plate?
Posted: Nov 27, 2006 10:43 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Is your wedding in Manhatten itself or one of the boroughs? Mine was on Long Island, at the Sans Souci of Sea Cliff. A gorgeous place, very elegant and charming. Their package price included dinner, elaborate cocktail hour, a 5 hour open bar with premium liquor, all linens and flowers, centerpieces, and wedding cake. Also the valet parking and coat check too. My price was $85 per person which I thought was incredibly reasonable. And their food was amazing and the place was very very nice. And i know Long island is known for EXPENSIVE weddings, so that was what I paid.
Kelley Lynn:)

lori83 Posts : 1,852 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Nov 28, 2006 11:04 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

For my daughter's reception in Upstate NY at a castle where the wedding also took place we paid $43 per plate.

This included the wedding coordinator for the time of the wedding, reception and also as much as we needed her a head of time. We met with her twice and had several emails. She and staff set our centerpieces and other decorations around the castle. She took care of the corsages and bouts once they arrived. 

This also included open bar of juice, soda w/the only alcohol being wine. Other alcohol was available thru a cash bar. Hot chocolate, cider, coffee, tea, cake.

The food was excellent. We went with the buffet and it was the best I have ever had at a reception. Many guests said they had never left a wedding feeling so full and were amazed by the spread.

I felt very happy with what we got for what we paid. I am not sure what I would consider too much. If anyone is interested in more information on our venue let me know. I would highly recommend it to everyone.

hollyb76 Posts : 249 Registered: 9/27/06
Posted: Nov 28, 2006 11:29 AM Go to message in response to: lori83

We are paying about $120 plate. This includes cocktail hour, seated meal with salad, soup, main course.... This doesn't even include any wedding cake or alcohol. i am getting married in an upscale place in Wilmington, Delaware and this was the going rate of all 4 caterers I could choose from.

Posted: Nov 28, 2006 2:38 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hi, My reception is at The Manor in West Orange, NJ. I am paying about $120 pp and this is off season. It includes cocktail hour, 4 hour reception with sit down dinner, wedding cake and alcohol. I think as long as you are happy with your reception site and you are getting what you want and you can afford it then that is all that matters. I know the Westmount CC is beautiful so everything will be top notch so I don't think $225 pp is bad at all. You are definitely getting what you are paying for.

Posted: Nov 28, 2006 3:16 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm in Florida...but I paid $20 a plate and had open "consumption" bar and paid for the appetizers during coctail hour by piece (I think it was .25 per piece)......My jaw hit the table when I saw $225 a person. Holy cow....was out of my price range, heck out of my ball park. But, if you got it do it!!!

Posted: Nov 28, 2006 4:46 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Gin, my jaw dropped when I saw $225 as well... like literally, my coworker was like "what's the matter?"...

I grew up in NYC and I'm really glad I'm not getting married there!  I'm paying $26.95 per person. That includes butler passed hor'dovrvs (how the heck do you spell that??), unlimited non-alcoholic beverage, and a sit down dinner.  I am however, paying for the hall and decorations/linens seperately.   All together, I figure its coming to about $56 per person if I had a place that did it all for me. 

November 3, 2007 I marry my best friend!

Posted: Nov 28, 2006 5:23 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I know it seems like a lot of money.  It really crazy!  I wish there was something in the area that was nice for under $50 a plate, but it is just not available here.  I totally understand why my parents are freaking out.  I think it is more difficult for them to understand why something in Michigan near the calibur of this NJ wedding would cost about $100 a plate/person, costs over $185 in NY/NJ.  There was another place that we looked at in NJ....hmmm...I cant remember the exact name, but some chateau...it was $325 a plate for the same exact thing I am having!!!  Now that is even crazier...lol!  I will be honest, I would never take any of my friends or family members out for a dinner that was over $200 a person, prob. not even $100 a person!!!  But, it is what it is...  Its really hard to fathem, but the site is worth every penny.  Unfortunatley, my parents have not seen it in person (Grandma was ill), so they can not put everything into persepective.  They will be coming to NJ in March to see everyhting for the first time.

Message was edited by FutureDocsWife on Nov 28, 2006 5:35 PM

Posted: Nov 28, 2006 7:03 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Are you helping out with the costs? from memory (i could be  wrong) i recall you saying that you earns tons of money?? If so it would nice if you pay for some to take the pressure off your parents. That being said, the amount you mention is not a crazy amount, as the reception will be at a beautiful venue, with everything high quality, my older sister was married a few years ago and my mom picked the most expensive recption with ocean views and hand picked all the wines (all very $$$$) and the night was just so memorable, even to this day people talk about how it was the best wedding they have ever been too.  Now I dont want to offend anyone here! A expensive wedding is no better than a budget wedding, my point was if you can afford it, and you are getting something of quality and beauty then i say go for it!  i think once your parents do visit the site they will fall in love with the idea as much as you have! good luck! keep us posted!

Posted: Nov 28, 2006 9:58 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

No, I never said I make tons of money.  I think that was newyorkgirl...something about six figures...lol...not me!  I am nursing student..lol...in other words, no money ;)  So, I will not be paying for any of it.  My parents are paying 60% and his family is paying for 40%.  My point ofr posting this was to get a general sense of how much people are paying, willing to pay, and regional differences.   In addition, I wanted to see if anyone else was similar regional "sticker shock" regardless if they are paying $50 pp or $500 pp.  I think my parents are having trouble getting past, what they say "food is food, why is it so much" and I am havign trouble trying to have it all make sense to them.  Now, my parents are not ignorant, they knew what the average cost of a wedding was, they figured that a NY?NJ would be more, but I think they just had know idea it was going cost as much as it is.  Well, I will keep you posted!

Posted: Nov 28, 2006 11:36 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Wow.  I am in Texas, and I think $50 a plate is where I would draw the line.  That was the highest I found around here, at the more upscale hotels (which did include the cake, site fees, linens, basic candle centerpieces, valet, wedding night suite, etc.). But around here it is easy to find $10-$20 perplate if you can bring in a caterer.  Luckily, we decided to go with a site that comes with NOTHING.  More work for me, but ultimately cheaper in the long run.  My step-mom is a caterer and is doing it for free...

Posted: Nov 29, 2006 1:21 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Umm, not trying to get into it again with you BUT...you said that I was jealous that you wouldn't have to work and were marrying a neurosurgeon and then you said I'd be lucky to make something like $70 thousand a year! To which I did reply--six figures. Really, I don't want to start an argument, but let's both be honest about what was really said :)

Posted: Nov 29, 2006 10:20 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Can I just say that while I did only pay $20 per plate everyone is still talking about our wedding and saying how it was the best they have ever been to. So it does not really matter how much $$ to spend to make it "nicer" my wedding was just as nice at $20 per head. But, then again I could and would never ever expect my parents or my DH's parents to pay $225 per plate because it is what I want....and my frineds would think I was nuts if I spent that kind of money on a meal and some drinks. to each his own and all....but I do think some people go way overboard when it comes to weddings.

LizS Posts : 1,982 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Nov 29, 2006 2:35 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Well, me living in Kansas City, MO and others living in NYC there is not really a fair comparison.  It's like comparing apples to oranges.  That being said, I would expect to pay at least $150- $200 pp living in NYC, LA, Miami, etc.  Some places just cost more!  AND, for all of the parking, drinks, etc. it seems like you are getting a lot!

With all of that being said, our food was $25 pp (before tax & gratuity)...$32.50 pp after taxes & gratuity.  This did not include the money to cut & serve our entire wedding cake for 360 for $50...EXTREMELY cheap if you ask me.  Also, we paid per glass for the alcohol.  We had a FULL open bar.  The bar alone was about $10,000.  The food was another $12,000.  We were lucky and had our cake done by a family friend.  She only charged $600!!!!  The reception venue did all of the centerpieces, set-up & take-down.  Also, we had a DJ which cost $600.  After everything was said & done we spent about $25,000- $30,000 on the reception.  I know this is expensive for Missouri/ Kansas area, but cheap for those that live more on the costal areas.  So, we probably spent $75- $80 pp when it was all said & done. 

People are STILL talking about our reception food 5 months later!  We were told by MANY that it was the BEST food they have ever had at a wedding.  I have also been to weddings where they spend $150 pp on chicken and the food sucks!  It all depends on what you are willing to spend and what you can afford.  If you can afford $225+ pp...go for it!!!!!!!!

Posted: Nov 29, 2006 4:37 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

We are having a 1 hour cocktail reception with passed and hot hourdorves, full course seated dinner, and full premium bar for $100 per person (includes 4 hrs of bar!).  I thought it was a great deal, esp considering we are being married in a nice beach town where the prices are steep... 

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine