That time of the month...

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6
That time of the month...
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 6:53 PM

So let me give you ladies the background info: I met him when I was 13, he was the boy next door... and we've been together since. We're both 21 now, and he's been away at college in Chattanooga TN for the past 4 years. This is his last year. I've seen him during his school breaks and summer time. It's been 8 years and he has been with me throughout my teenage strife and my parent's divorce and just so much of the hard stuff.

And to make it even better, we're virgins. My period isn't really very regular, and only lasts about 3 days. We want to get married next October and I'm nervous about setting a date because of that time of the month that I might be a little more bloated and will also want to be between the sheets for the next week straight.

So... I know at this point I am going to really begin paying a lot of attention to it and figuring out the patterns.

But is this or was this an issue for you ladies?

--- Samantha Marie

WWW.ARTISTIQ.ORG (my art portfolio)

Re: That time of the month...
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 8:45 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Samantha,

It sounds like to me that you really should consider going on birth control.  Reason number 1- unless you want to have kids right away, you should probably go on birth control anyways since you're getting married!  Reason number 2-Birth control makes your periods regular.  You'll always know when it is coming.  You should go talk to your doctor about this.  Depending on how soon you want to pick a date you have a few options.  1) you can start birth control and you should be able to count ahead to when your period and days of bloating will be (this is what I did for my upcoming wedding-I had my calendar marked with "bad weekends") or go ahead pick your date.. and with birth control you can "control" when you get your period.  what i mean is that sometimes with birth control you can "skip" your period for 1 month, or you can change your period to start coming earlier or later so that depending on when your wedding date is you can work around it.  Again I'm not a doctor, but I've been on birth control for a long time and I know many of the pros and cons to it.

So I suggest if you are concerned about your 1st time and that time of month.. that you should talk to your doctor soon about the benefits of birth control.  Let me know if you have any questions!

Good luck and congrats!

Posted: Oct 5, 2006 2:18 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I agree that you should probably start the pill if this is your plan. It will regulate your period (so you'll know exactly when it's coming) and as mjmj said you can skip your period one month when you're on the pill. I went on a three week vacation to the beach and was supposed to have my period right in the middle, it was no problem to skip it. Your GYN can explain it more to you when you go in for your next appt.

Posted: Oct 5, 2006 9:44 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I agree with these girls.  It may seem weird to you to be getting BC pills when you are a virgin but there are many girls who go on the pill for regularity.  I have been on the pill for 5 years and I have ALWAYS been regular.  I start my period every 4th week on Tuesday Morning!  I would definately reccommend the pill and talking to your DR.  For those of you "skipping" your period I would reccommend skipping the period BEFORE you really want to skip it.  Does that make sense??  My Dr reccommended this because I was supposed to start the week of my honeymoon.  2 months ago I "skipped" and still had some breakthrough spotting.  Basically my Dr wanted me to skip every other one (so 3 weeks of pills and period then 3 weeks and another period) So then I skipped this month and still had a day where I spotted a little but now I am on schedule to have my period two weeks before the wedding and will be in the middle of the pack on my wedding and honeymoon so I won't have to worry about the breakthrough spotting.  Does that make any sense??  I hope I helped some  LOL

Message was edited by BriansBride on Oct 5, 2006 9:45 AM

SunshineDaydream Posts : 484 Registered: 3/31/06
Posted: Oct 5, 2006 10:45 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Definately go on the pill so that it will come at the same time every month.

Also~Once you have a regular period you can check out this website to figure out when you'll have it during your wedding month

http://period.nyws.com/Data.asp

mrslilysolovely Posts : 2,130 Registered: 7/24/06
Posted: Oct 5, 2006 1:07 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I cannot take BC pills because they cause me to have terrible mood swings and sometimes rages, so I use Conceptrol - a gel in a tube used like a tampon just before intercourse. It has worked great for 9 years and I trust it to get the job done.

Talk to your OB/GYN about a simple pill that you take prior to the event and it will postpone your period. I have not used it personally, but I am told it works well. I'm sorry I don't have the name of it, but your doc should know. - Enjoy!

Posted: Oct 5, 2006 6:29 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

my periods have been irregular from day one. I've tried birth control pills, and it certainly made me regular, but they made me sick. I tried the patch for a week and was vomitting the whole time, i tried the nuva ring for 4 months and had 2 week long periods ( I was going for no periods, which my doctor said I could do because they were so incredibly painful for me) and I waited it out because I was trying to give my body time to change. Now, I don't need anything for regularity, and the pain isn't nearly as bad. But, when I set my date, we picked one that was convienent for our schedules and I planned to see my GYN and get pills to change my period if I needed to. If my period stays as regular as it has been (it is starting to change a bit) I should end my period the day before my rehearsal (two days before the wedding). Fingers crossed. I think I am going to go ahead and get pills anyway. But I will have to do it soon because my wedding is 2.5 months away. So, I recommend trying some sort of birthcontrol to regulate your period and change your time of the month if you need to. Pick your date and enjoy the marvels of modern medicine!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine