Alternative to "Clinking of the Glasses" to have Bride and Groom Kiss

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 15
Alternative to "Clinking of the Glasses" to have Bride and Groom Kiss
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 11:32 AM

So, I just heard of a great alternative to the clinking of the glasses to get the bride and groom to kiss- a dollar basket!! 

Get a nice basket and place it in front of the Bride and Groom's seat at the reception.  Then, make sure the M/C makes it known that if the guests want the Bride and Groom to kiss, they have to put a dollar in the basket! 

I'm totally doing that for my wedding!! hahaha...

Re: Alternative to "Clinking of the Glasses" to have Bride and Groom Kiss
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 3:26 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

If anyone wanted our daughter and her husband to kiss, they had to stand up with a microphone & sing a few bars from a song that had the word "love" in it!

Posted: Oct 5, 2006 1:04 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I am going to have little silver bells and place a few at our family tables and our friends tables and then let them ring the bell when they want a kiss. I love the idea of making your guests sing, I don't know if I could get anyone to do that but it would be great!!

Posted: Oct 5, 2006 1:09 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

We had the silver bells...but it got annoying because my DH's 2 friends thought it was so FUNNY to wait until I was ABOUT to put a bite of food in my mouth to ring it.....my daughter (she is almost 6 and was at the head table with us) actually went up to DH's frineds and took their bells away..."because they were making bad chices ringing them when mommy was trying to eat!!" HOW CUTE!!! Oh...the friends were not offended and neither was anyone else...our wedding was small (30 PEOPLE) AND all close family and friends who know us very well!! I just had to brink that up because it was so cute!! But, the bells worked for us....we did ALOT of kissing!!!

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Oct 5, 2006 7:32 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

hey bridesmom i like that idea about the singing. Can I ask you how did that work? did the DJ go over to the person with the microphone and ask them to sing something or what? My wedding is in 3 weeks and my tables will be named after christmas carols (xmas themed wedding)... so this might be fun to have people get up and sing the carol at their table for us to kiss.
Kelley Lynn:)

Posted: Oct 7, 2006 2:21 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

www.frugalbride.com has a ton of other kissing ideas. 

With the money idea, I would worry that some drunk might throw in a $20, and make a crack that they should at least see second base.  

Me, I am leaning toward the 'you demonstrate how to kiss, we will kiss like that too' plan.  

Posted: Oct 7, 2006 3:42 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I am not sure about the dollar idea as well.  People already paid money on plane tickets. hotels, showers gifts, wedding gifts and in some cases drinks at the bar.  I would be uncomfortable asking for more money, even a dollar.  I have been to many weddings with the sing the song and it is great.  People just stood at their table and sang or let the DJ know and he would stop the music..

Posted: Oct 11, 2006 7:21 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

No matter what you decide on...trust me someone, after a couple of drinks will go straight for the old fork to water glass. It never fails.  My friend had small bells, couldn hear them...the singing, another wedding, people just still clanged on the glass.

I am dreading that part too... I think it is so tacky!

Posted: Oct 12, 2006 7:40 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

ArtTeacher- That won't be a problem at our wedding, because we're not having alcohol.  Altho, if people do still insist on clinking on the glasses, I'll just be ignoring them Tongue out

Shorty Posts : 161 Registered: 9/19/06
Posted: Nov 5, 2006 9:30 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

My friends did the song idea, and it worked out great.  All the members of the bridal party started it off with singing "You are my sunshine"  and then everyone got the hint when we sang the work LOVE really load and the bride and groom kissed.  Another idea I like is to set up a small putting green.  I found this idea on another website and take absolutey no credity for it, but my fiance is a huge golfer, so it seems perfect.  Here is the little poem that went with it. 

3. If you're into golf, have a putting contest. Designate an area and have a putting matt on hand. Have your DJ or bandleader let your guests know what has to happen in order to get you to kiss. They can even do some type of drum roll every time someone gets up there. An added bonus…If they miss, you designate whom they kiss. You can even use other ideas…shoot a puck into a net (if you’re hockey fans), kick a soccer ball into a net (soccer fans) etc.

a poem for number 3.
To this formal affair
We added a bit of flair
Do NOT clink your glasses
To get us to kiss
Instead you must putt
And try not to miss
If you sink the ball in one shot
We will kiss on the spot

As I was looking for that one, I also found a couple other ideas.  One was bride and groom trivia.  When people start to clink their glasses, the DJ can step in and ask a question.  In order for B & G to kiss, they would have to answer it right.  Another idea was to get 2 big fuzzy die and have the guest role them.  Even B & G kiss, odd they kiss someone...

Here is another one that I really like:

. Make a "list" of "groups" attending out wedding. The first time the glasses are hit you and the groom kiss, the next you or the DJ will ask that our parents kiss their spouses, the next the wedding party, grandparents etc. and so on from there

Again, I did not come up with these ideas, but I thought they were excellent.  Hope they help!

LizS Posts : 1,982 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Nov 6, 2006 11:29 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Well, I am from Kansas City & NO ONE in Kansas City or St. Louis does anything for the bride & groom to kiss.  Nothing happened at our wedding & I think I would almost get more annoyed with encouraging them!  That's probably just me though!  LOL! Wink

tanalynn Posts : 491 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Nov 6, 2006 12:23 PM Go to message in response to: LizS

this reminds me of the dollar dance, just a ploy to get more money. I would advise against it because after wedding and shower gifts you should not ask for more money.

Tana & Mark

Posted: Nov 6, 2006 1:33 PM Go to message in response to: tanalynn

I have a funny story about the kissing thing. In Russia, you would yell "gorko" to get the bride and groom to kiss, "gorko" means "sour' and the idea is that their drinks are sour, and when the bride and groom kiss, they make the drinks sweeter. 

Anyway, I was at a wedding a couple years ago where the groom was a second generation russian, and the russians all started yelling "gorko" and clinking the glasses. he had no idea what was going on so instead of standing up and kissing the bride, he chugged his champagne. it was funny.

Lissa003 Posts : 80 Registered: 9/28/06
Posted: Nov 6, 2006 11:01 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Another idea is to have the guests go to a microphone and give words of wisdom for the couples future.  You get some pretty interesting thoughts!

I am marrying my farmboy!
Daisypath Ticker

Posted: Nov 7, 2006 7:12 PM Go to message in response to: Lissa003

FH and I were talking about this last night. I looked on frugalbride.com and got some good ideas. We are thinking about making little trivia cards to sit next to the MC. Ifsomeone wants us to kiss, they have to pick a card out of the hat and answer the question correctly.

The putt-putt idea is cute. There is an idea that I thought FH would go nuts over (since he loves airplanes): put stacks of paper airplanes at each table. put a basket somewhere. If someone throws the planes and it lands in the basket, then the bride and groom has to kiss. I was surprised he doesn't want to do that.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine