how to pick the dj??

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 23
how to pick the dj??
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 10:07 AM

We're planning the wedding in our hometown, but we live 3 ours away.  I've been doing a lot of vendor shopping online, but the DJ is a hard one.  How do you really know what they will be like?  Any advice?  Anyone know of a good DJ in NC??

Re: how to pick the dj??
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 2:06 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

You don't know what a DJ will be like. If you meet with them in person, you can learn how they think about weddings. Typically, they will start by asking you question for 15-30 minutes. Then, you get to ask questions. If the DJ answers your questions in a way that expresses what you want for your wedding, then they at least know what you want.

Also, realize that there are different types of DJs. There are DJs that specialize in certain types of music, certain types of events and certain types of crowds. You are looking for a wedding DJ. Also, 'professional' is ove-used and doesn't mean much in the DJ industry.

As a rule of thumb, better DJs cost more money. If you want someone who is really, really good then caugh up the $2000+ that they will charge you.

Joseph

Posted: Oct 4, 2006 3:45 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

The price for the best DJ will vary greatly, depending on where you live. We hired the best for $750. We found him through references. We asked tons of vendors who they recommended for a local DJ and he kept coming up. Ask your reception location staff, your ceremony musicians, caterers, rental agencies, everyone you can think of.

Some DJ's let you listen to them at one of their gigs. However, most don't offer this option for weddings because who would really want a stranger (you) to pop in on their wedding reception to listen to their DJ? You can pick an event that isn't so formal though and it works out great!

Good luck!

Daisypath Ticker

Soon2BTaylor Posts : 258 Registered: 6/1/06
Posted: Oct 5, 2006 1:13 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hi BridetobeinNC, I'm having the same issue.  I live in Arizona and the wedding is in Indiana.  What i've done is scour the internet.  Though it's not the basis for my decision, there are some DJs who put a little more time into a website, which is helpful for me.  I've talked to a few over the phone.  Pricing is a huge thing for me, and most i've looked at are $700-$1200.  Getting references is a great way to get started.  Ask family and friends who are gonig to be attending weddnigs to pay a little more attention to the DJ.  Also find out if mom, sister, or MOH, can go talk to them for you, if you are not able to make it.

My sister recently went to a wedding where an old friend of her's from college was the DJ.  He is only charging $400, so after I talk to him, he just may be the DJ...we will have to see though.  Good Luck!

Posted: Oct 5, 2006 1:16 PM Go to message in response to: Soon2BTaylor

If anything, maybe you can see if any local DJ's or bands will be at a bridal show in the area of yor wedding, and see them there.  It's how I found my band, and I have so far been thrilled with them.

Jamie and Bill
Daisypath Ticker

Posted: Oct 5, 2006 2:32 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Joseph -- I really wish you would stop with the "better DJ's cost more money" .....you CAN get a GREAT PROFESSIONAL DJ without spending 2K!!! Really are you just on this site to try to get yourself business???? Oh, and you have only been in business for a year, as you said in another DJ post, my DJ was in business for 10 years and still ONLY charged $75 per hour!!! Stop trying to promote youself...this is a website for brides to get advice...not ripped off!!!

Posted: Oct 5, 2006 6:55 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Gin, I started my own company this year. I entered the DJ business in 1999.

I have never charged anyone $2000 and I never said you had to spend $2000 to get a good DJ. However, as a rule of thumb, quality costs more. That's not a secret.

I challenge you to try to figure out who I am from the information on this site. You won't be able to do it because I am not soliciting clients through this site.

If someone asked me how to get a good car, a good pair of shoes, or a good house I would tell them that they are going to have to get lucky or they are going to have to pay more. I don't see why you are so upset about me bringing up this concept. It is simple economics.

Joseph

Posted: Oct 5, 2006 7:05 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I have the problem of planning a wedding from out of state as well.  I was pretty lost about the DJ as well, their websites all say the same thing. I ended up just going by people's recommendations.  So, hopefully my dj will work out. ;)   I noticed that people tend to post more in the local area boards at The Knot (as opposed to the local area boards here).  So I got a lot of reccommendations there from other people in the area of my wedding. You might try your local board there and ask around for dj suggestions. 

Kimberly

Our Website
"I loved you before I met you and I met you just in time 'cause there was nothing left."   -Don't Change Your Plans, Ben Folds Five

Posted: Oct 6, 2006 10:47 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

All you have said in ALMOST EVRY post is "pay more for higher quality" it is getting OLD!!! I have a great car and I didn't pay an arm and a leg....nor do I have any payments, my favorite shoes are flip flops from old navy and they are 2 for $5, and my DH is a general contractor...so we can buy a fixer upper and make it what I want with out spending the crazy high prices of the new homes now a days!!!! MY POINT BEING.....you DON"T always get what you pay for and THINGS are not ALWAYS better if they cost more!!!! If you are not here to get business....then why the heck is a married man on bridal websites????

Posted: Oct 6, 2006 12:11 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I am a DJ and I want to make my clients happy. I subscribe to Brides and Modern Bride so that I can better serve my clients. I also offer to speak with anyone who calls me about planning their wedding even if they have picked another DJ. When I saw the forum on this site, I realized that there are a lot of questions about weddings. I think that I have some answers. A few people have even thanked me for my input. I am here to learn and to share.

I agree with you that you don't ALWAYS get what you pay for. The operative word there is 'always.' Your situation was an exeption. If brides follow your example and pay $75/hour for a DJ, MOST brides are going to get someone who sucks. I don't want that to happen.

Most of my posts have been about prices, but most of my posts have been in response to your posts which are objecting to my prices. I'd much rather talk about the logistical aspects of the wedding day, but that doesn't seem to be one of your interests.

Joseph

Posted: Oct 6, 2006 1:05 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

""I subscribe to Brides and Modern Bride so that I can better serve my clients.""

You must not have too many client even being such a big time hot shot expensive DJ if you have so much time to spend on a brides website!!!!

And The DJ posts are not the only ones that you are making that are out of line......If someone ASKES you a question SURE answer it, but if someone asks how to pick a DJ you don't need to respond...."if you want a good one be prepared to pay the 2k they will charge you" I am sorry but it is BS!!!

Soon2BTaylor Posts : 258 Registered: 6/1/06
Posted: Oct 6, 2006 2:03 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Fist I want to say sorry to the OP, I'm not trying to hijack your post, but i do have a question for Joseph.  I am in the process of looking for a DJ, as I think the OP is....Would you say that the DJs who do charge a little more are the ones who do this as a full time job, and the ones who charge less do this as a side gig?  Also, how moany weddings do you think it takes a DJ to get accustomed to the flow of a wedding (i.e. when announcments should be made)?  These are serious questions that I would like to know as I go into the DJ hiring process, so thank you in advance for whatever help you provide.

Posted: Oct 6, 2006 8:04 PM Go to message in response to: Soon2BTaylor

Soon2B, The first two paragraphs are a little academic.

There are different ways to set prices. Full-time DJs have to net at least enough profit to support themselves and their families. Part time DJs can actually subsidize their DJing with full-time income. some people lose money by charging too little. These things set the minimum price. You will find that the full-time people tend to charge more because their minimum price is partly based on their own need.  However DJs set their lowest price, they eventually charge whatever clients are willing to pay.

It's hard to give a number of wedding. There are DJ apprenticeship programs, skills workshops, professional critiques and DJ schools. Also, there are basic DJ skills and advanced DJ skills. If you want a basic wedding then someone would only need a basic music selection and maybe 20 weddings.  However, if you want special narration, stylized introductions, extensive coordination, and a good-looking setup, then your DJ will probably need to have been in the business for several years or had specific DJ training regaurding the techniques that you want.

The most important thing in hiring a DJ is that you get the type of person that you are comfortable with hiring. Even if your DJ isn't great, that comfort will allow you to overlook their small mistakes so that you have a good time no matter what happens.

Joseph

Posted: Oct 6, 2006 8:26 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Gin, I am NOT an expensive DJ. Just last saturday, I was told by a guest at a wedding that my prices were $1300 lower than a similar service in California. I also know someone who charges $5000 to service a wedding and works more than I do.

I didn't write to pay $2000 for a 'good' DJ. I wrote that they should be willing to pay the $2000+ for a 'really, really good' DJ. The best in any service industry will cost a lot more than the 'good' in that industry. In the DJ industry, the best charge $2000+ dollars for each event. You might also remember that my price is considerably lower than that.
Joseph

Posted: Oct 7, 2006 10:16 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Where in NC are you getting married?  I got married in Raleigh...I unfortunately had a bad experience with my DJ and would not recommend them to anyone.  However I found prices in the area to be (depending on how many hours you wanted) 500-1000.  I paid 650 for 5.5 hours.  Although I don't think cost was your question.  I suggest trying to take a day and visit the area you are getting married and set up meetings with several different DJ's if you are going with a  company make sure you talk to the person who would be doing the work for your wedding. This was my mistake the owner who I met with had a great personality but the guy he sent me was horrible I decsribed him as a "dead fish" and didn't follow any of my schedule and announce the cake cutting, toasts etc.  Thank goodness I have a loud mouth matron of honor who stepped in to save my evening.  My point is definitely talk with the person who will be doing your wedding and make sure they understand exactly what you want... and get it signed in writing!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine